CM Outpost --> CMBB Sneak Preview Report

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garry + jwxspoon,

Thanks for the review and the photo's with the AAR - the best review so far! I have already forwarded your article to 3 other buddies in South Africa and Namibia. No such sneek preview on the continent of Africa though, so much appreciated for the effort.

Garry, what price (USD) that big monitor on page 3? Gotta have that beast!!

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

[ July 15, 2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

WineCape,

I had that "monitor" for about a year, so maybe the price is still dropping. Its a plasma HDTV with two VGA connectors included with a host of other connector types. I wouldn't have bought the thing if it wasn't computer ready. I have a satellite hooked up to it so once in awhile I'll watch a movie or two on it.

It wasn't cheap. At $8,000 USD, its a big commitment. It came with no mounting hardware at all. The metal bracket for mounting on the wall was itself an additional $250! I was pretty mad about that, but the salesman refused to just throw it in.

However, there is a badness to it. My 21" monitor just seems so small now. Its amazing how you get accustomed to something and it becomes the norm.

Originally posted by Holien:

Ahh so others noticed it too...

Make?

Model?

Manufacturer?

I'm also very interested in the questions posed by Holien above, Garry. This seems a good present that wifey can buy me after I bought her a new Volvo S40. Tit-for-tat, and I'm house bound - she can't argue that! ;)

I guess shipping costs will add a wad or two more, but I have enough shipping line contacts to import it from the USA if necassary. Any web link as to specifications?

Regards,

Charl

Hi Gary

Very nice report and pictures.

We had a great time playing the NC group while at Rune's house. Although committee command is not the ideal, it was still a truly fun experience. The learning curve for getting the most out of the new commands is going to be the source of many interesting discussions in the very near future.

The new extreme FOW makes a real difference as to the approach and implementation of tactics. The quick rush across an open space will need to be considered much more carefully as it is demoralizing to see your vaunted tank crews bailing after a few 'minor' perforations from large caliber shells. Squads running into a buzzsaw of reverse slope hidden armor and their icky batteries of machineguns puts a damper on attack enthusiasm.

The uncertainty as to the status of the remaining forces we faced led to some decisions I think we would have liked to take back, but alas these are the rigors of battle.

BDH

Got home and got the info on the monitor.

Sony, Flat Panel Monitor, PFM-42B1/PFM-42B1E

Don't forget that its format is 16x9 if you want the entire screen used, which is wider than standard TV and computer monitors of 4x3. I've gotten very used to it, but things are a little fatter. You can set it to 4x3, but you lose screen realistate on the sides.

Since I'm finished with my computer room, I decided to work on another room. Here is another toy to get...

toiletpc.gif

I just can't decide on the color option.

Originally posted by kump:

Got home and got the info on the monitor.

Sony, Flat Panel Monitor, PFM-42B1/PFM-42B1E

Don't forget that its format is 16x9 if you want the entire screen used, which is wider than standard TV and computer monitors of 4x3. I've gotten very used to it, but things are a little fatter. You can set it to 4x3, but you lose screen realistate on the sides.

Since I'm finished with my computer room, I decided to work on another room. Here is another toy to get...

toiletpc.gif

I just can't decide on the color option.

Now, that's what I call a Man's Bathroom.

Holien,

Have a look at http://shop.store.yahoo.com/plasmatvs/pfm42b1.html - I see the price has dropped closer to $5000 buckaroos for this 42" monster - price of optional different wall mountings also listed! smile.gif

Garry,is picture quality good as well as smooth at the 1024 x 768 resolution for such a big screen?

[ July 17, 2002, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Derfel:

Please do.

WineCape:

1024 x 768 is perfect for it. It supports all resolutions up to 1600x1200. It will do the later, but requires additional hardware.

The actual screen is something like 1098x1098 pixels. That means resolutions above 1024x768 do look a little better, but not worth slowing down the computer. 1024x768 with Anti-Aliasing x 4 is the way to go with Combat Mission. Its very smooth.

Again, be warned. To use the 1098x1098 pixels, the monitor screen format must be 16x9, which is wider than 4x3. CM units will be a bit wider, but the scenery is so cool when it fills more of your peripheral vision. I've gotten so used to it that CM looks normal on my wide screen, and appears too tall on everything else smile.gif

Oh yea, make sure you have a good video card. Voodoo5 and GeForce4 AA modes make CM look outstanding on it. Other cards were unsatisfactory.