This should hold you over for a little while...Two new CMBB screenshots!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Das Reich:

Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a book somewhere in my collection which lists German operational symbols they used during WW2, and many of them were different from the standard "NATO" symbols I am used to seeing.

I will see if I can dig that up, or I might just be crazy.

;)

You are correct, the NATO symbols are indeed different from the German ones; there were also two different sets of German symbols in use during the war; like everything else, the Germans modified the tac signs during the war, usually in response to the addition of new weapons systems. I think the 1935 regs, on which the standard sets were based, did not even have a sign for "tanks" IIRC. The addition of StuGs and Panzerjäger during the war, etc., created additional needs also.

I have a bit of info on my GD site re: wartime symbols; compare them to your NATO book and you will see you are not crazy.

Your friend in mental health,

Mike

My inevitable suggestion to The Artist Called KwazyDog:

Consider removing the brightness gradient on the grass doodads. Although it does, of course, make perfect sense from the point of lighting (lower areas are darker) it emphasizes the base line of the doodad polygons. This is something that should be avoided in my opinion! You may want to conceal that the grass volume is composed of 2D objects as much as possible. To this end, I think it would be best to let the lower areas of the grass doodad blend in with the ground as much as possible, thereby removing the sharp contrast between doodad and ground!

Compliments and regards,

Thomm

Thomm, you are fogetting that the terrain in CM varies according to height smile.gif I can show you a shot where it blends perfectly at the base, but unfortunately I cannot do it for all elevation levels. Thus, I decided to make the grass look better (it looked very flat without any gradient) and blend it in with an average height level

Glad you like how it is shaping up guys! Im sure the modders will have plenty to play with once CMBB is out, too, hehe. In fact, some will be helping me out before it ships smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Thomm, you are fogetting that the terrain in CM varies according to height smile.gif I can show you a shot where it blends perfectly at the base, but unfortunately I cannot do it for all elevation levels. Thus, I decided to make the grass look better (it looked very flat without any gradient) and blend it in with an average height level.

Thanks for your quick reply!

No reason to `give up', though: check in with Charles and ask if it is possible to relate the position of the doodad to the terrain elevation level. Then you can blend in and have a gradient at the same time. At the same time you have the `feature' that the grass is lower at higher levels :rolleyes: . Requires some artist/programmer cooperation and most likely opens other cans of worms, but sounds good to me.

On the other hand, I do not know how good the blended in grass looks, but I can imagine it looking (even) better than the presented version!

Regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Thomm, your getting too technical for the current engine there, but something we will certainally visit again for the rewrite smile.gif

In that case, please consider to provide an option to increase the doodad density to a level, where the ground is virtually hidden by doodads, as in the second picture, or the bottom left corner of the picture below! Something like [extreme] in the settings. That should be simple and satisfy the GeForce 4 crowd (to which my institute belongs of late).

Thanks for putting up with me again and again and Regards,

Thomm

[ June 07, 2002, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Rollstoy ]

On closer reflection, I have to wonder if panzer crew will be wearing the M43 Einheitsfelfmütze (the black cap with the peak) before 1943? The SdKfz 222s are in their early war dark grey livery but I noticed the commanders were wearing peaked caps...it should be a sidecap for the 1941-mid 1943 period....(pick pick)