This should hold you over for a little while...Two new CMBB screenshots!

Originally posted by Ted:

What is the symbol on the right rear hatch (?) ?

That is a military organizational symbol- common during the early war on German units. Since I am in the office right now, I don't have access to my reference material for an exact description of the symbol. However, here is an initial stab:

The box indicates the unit, and the upside-down 'L' symbol on the top of the box indicates the unit size (perhaps platoon or company). The two circles on the bottom of the box indicate the unit as being wheeled; if there would have been a single oval it would have been a tracked unit and a combination would have been a halftrack unit. The diagonal line in the box and the symbol to the left refers to the unit type- I think this would be reconnaisance.

I can double-check the analysis tonight.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ted:

I like how you can see the face through the screen on top of the turret of the AC.

Adding some..

Hmm.. the little flag on top of the rectangle points to a recon unit, the diagonal line to cavalry (but it thought it would go from low to high instead of high to low from left to right), the circle "wheels" to motorized.. I haven't seen the combination but it looks real enough. A platoon I guess, a company would have a thick bar on the left side.

Fantastic pics in any event smile.gif

M.

[ June 06, 2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Mattias ]

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zukkov:

love those KVs! can't wait to surprise a few pzIIIs with em!! hehe...

Heh - what are you going to do to them with a PzIII -- tickle 'em?

Steve</font>

Originally posted by Leta:

The CMBB modders will have a hard stand to make textures better than the originals! :

They have simply "Raised the Bar"

I am sure our skilled modders will continue their string of great mod accomplishments

I just can't get over how much the graphics of Combat Mission have improved with the pending arrival of CMBB. And another improvement I've noticed is how much more quickly those screenies

load now that I've got a cable modem. smile.gif

When I was waiting for CMBO to be released I would wait on pins and needles as a screenshot would take F-O-R-E-V-E-R to appear on my screen. Now it takes but a second. Ah, the sweet ambrosia of technology!! :D

Darryl

Originally posted by Mattias:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ted:

I like how you can see the face through the screen on top of the turret of the AC.

Adding some..

Hmm.. the little flag on top of the rectangle points to a recon unit, the diagonal line to cavalry (but it thought it would go from low to high instead of high to low from left to right), the circle "wheels" to motorized.. I haven't seen the combination but it looks real enough. A platoon I guess, a company would have a thick bar on the left side.

Fantastic pics in any event smile.gif

M.</font>

recce.gif

From my GD site - the symbol on the 222 armoured car is period and correct. This is the symbol for a Motorized Reconaissance unit. The "1" (it has been mirrored in the photo) represents Number One company of a reconaissance battalion.

The "A" stands for aufklaerungs (German for "reconaissance").

[ June 06, 2002, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Is that regular "grass", or is it some other type of terrain. I'm pretty sure its not spring or early wheat because in the screen shots on the wargamer site this tall vegetation exists in the same picture as the familiar golden/light tan wheat. There is also a screenshot on the Wargamer site of an SS squad running by a building. In that picture there is also a small section that looks like the familiar "flat grass" of CMBO. Now, that certainly could be taken from an early set of terrains, but it makes me wonder if this tall grass-like vegetation is some new type of terrain.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

recce.gif

From my GD site - the symbol on the 222 armoured car is period and correct. This is the symbol for a Motorized Reconaissance unit. The "1" (it has been mirrored in the photo) represents Number One company of a reconaissance battalion.

The "A" stands for aufklaerungs (German for "reconaissance").

Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a book somewhere in my collection which lists German operational symbols they used during WW2, and many of them were different from the standard "NATO" symbols I am used to seeing.

I will see if I can dig that up, or I might just be crazy.

;)

[ June 06, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Das Reich ]

Heh, a bit late to the party, but I was clicking (flipping? sorry, the mechanical translation just struck me as funny :D ) through the other pics about a week or two ago, and the new ones look sooo much more refined. It's not like raising the bar, it's more like raising it, standing on it, and putting a new one up! :eek:

Can't hardly wait. tongue.gif