Bring back old forum colors? Yes/No

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want the black background, without a doubt.

Also, the lighter dark green is good in the texts of the threads, but the darker dark green is better on the page listing the threads. They lighter dark green looks like puke with the yellowish text of the thread titles.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Also, the lighter dark green is good in the texts of the threads, but the darker dark green is better on the page listing the threads. They lighter dark green looks like puke with the yellowish text of the thread titles.

I have no idea what you just said.

Sigh...I think I may just revert to how I did it originally. People have a workaround for font size and colors so maybe that is best. I prefer the forums to BLEND into the site and this new color scheme doesnt do it as well.... If UBB would just give me one more text tag to play with it would be simple.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

I have no idea what you just said.

Sigh...I think I may just revert to how I did it originally. People have a workaround for font size and colors so maybe that is best. I prefer the forums to BLEND into the site and this new color scheme doesnt do it as well.... If UBB would just give me one more text tag to play with it would be simple.

Madmatt</font>

I agree with the Lord General, this color scheme is so much easier on the eyes. IMO, black fonts are a necessity and I like the background colors. I know it doesn't count for anything, but put me in the category to keep this scheme and ditch the black background/light font scheme.

Madmatt and BTS-

Yes, the new look now is well balanced and appears well on the monitor. If my vote counts (and it probably does not...), I would say go with this format.

The text is much easier to read in black (rather than white on color). And, the brighter colors minimize the dreaded "negative space" (black or dark backgrounds) that seem to be the craze for hip web sites these days. Yet, the colors still have that camo-look that you were probably aiming for while still being easy on the eye.

I signed on yesterday afternoon, and thought that I would definitely have to give the site some thought- the first impression was not too pleasant. With my experience in software application design, I have discovered that dark areas on a screen tend to attract the eyes and eventually lead to eye sore and a screen page or tab that just seems off. Unaware of the conversations last night, I proceeded trying to find some backing evidence for why I felt the new look did not work, and started reviewing Edward Tufte's writings on presenting data and information.*

In the meantime and before I could offer some insight, you went ahead and made definite changes for the better.

*I would highly recommend the following resources for anyone who wants to investigate concepts of displaying information:

Edward Tufte: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information

Edward Tufte: Envisioning Information

Okay I'll try to say it more clearly. This looks very nice when you are reading the threads. It's good, as many have noted.

But when you are reading the page which lists all the threads in the CM forum, the table of contents, the yellowish text looks slightly off. Fixing that, could be more a matter of fixing the background color there, than the color of the text. That's all I was really trying to say, for better or worse. (and that the black background was cool)

YES, much better now! Thank you!

The thread page (this page) is ok.

However i second CMplayer's opinion that there is something funky in the thread-list page. Maybe it's because yellow links goes on greenish background, might be better if you switched the column colors – the link would be on the "dark-yellow" background.

Originally posted by ciks:

might be better if you switched the column colors ; the link would be on the "dark-yellow" background.

This sounds right. As it is now, in the 'topics' page (thanks for the word) there is a more 'khaki' color in some columns and a more 'olive' colour in some columns. It would prob look better if those two were reversed. As in a _lot_ better.

(edit: _and_ what Kingfish said)

[ May 31, 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Looks great now Madmatt. Thanks for all the hard work.

Is it possible to change the posted date, profile stuff and lines in the individual posts to some other color than white? Perhaps a darker gold might go nice with the khaki?

Sitting in the dark here working on CAD stuff. All black background with greens, yellows, red, and cyans is what is easiest for the eyes. Anything in white really jumps out at you (which is why you only use it for stuff that MUST be noticed).

I like the white for threads and links that I haven't seen yet. I can turn those to a different color by clicking on all of them ;)

Weighing in a bit late, but here goes.

The site as a whole looks very nice. Congratulations on a job well done.

The forum, however, is making my failing eyesight a whole lot worse.

I was not a big fan of powderpuff blue, and applaud the fact that you got rid of it.

I also rather like the alternating background colors in the posts.

However, the background colors that I'm seeing are giving me considerable eye-strain. I'm not a fan of pastel colors, but off-white or pastel versions of the colors you are using would be a lot easier on the eye. The text should be as dark as possible.

On the other hand, I was spending far too much time lurking here, so maybe the color change is a good thing as it will free up some spare time.

This is much better than that retina-searing text I saw last night.

Battlefront web site is beautiful.

A web site worthy of a company like BTS.

I guess you guys can afford to plunk down some coinage for that page since things are going/have gone so well for you.

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

While not trying to suck up to anyone, I have to say that I can handle the new version. Like anything new it took a few moments to get used to it.

smile.gif

well no ****, they are okay *now*, you should have seen them before madmatt adjusted them to the way they are now.

btw, thumbs up from me (can speak only for me) for the black on green here inside the threads as it is now.

WOW

I did a litte test on the forum web colors.

I have it up in the MAC computer lab I work in (No students here now).

I am looking at the forum on my Laptop Mac G3 Powerbook LCD screen, on a NEW iMAC LCD screen and a G4 Tower with a 17 inch CRT.

GUESS what they all look a little different.

The Powerbook LCD is 2.5 years old and it is a little dark and ugly.

the iMac with the LCD is 2 months old and it is pretty with VERY nice shades of brown and tan and green on it! It looks great, so I would say if you are looking at this from a new iMac LCD you should think it looks VERY nice.

The 17 CRT is different again, the browns tones I see on the iMac look alot GREENER on the 17 CRT.

The color scheme is still good on all of them but the colors are more pleasing smile.gif on the iMac LCD.

Can anyone do a test or comparison on mulitple PC moniters and LCD screens?

Of course when I play the game on all different screens and monitors (on my lunch break :rolleyes: of course) it looks very different on each screen too!

-tom w

By the way, it's not BTS, it's BFC if you wanna be technical. Although BTS is engrained in everyones verbage we would really prefer to be referred to as Battlefront, not BTS.

I don't work for Big Time Software, I work for Battlefront.com. This Battlefront.com's website. This is Battlefront.com's forum. Big Time Software was the company name for Charles in the early days but anymore Battlefront is really more accurate.

Just an FYI...

Madmatt

[ May 31, 2002, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]