The secrets of the Bonus CD

Since more and more threads pop up repeating that CMBO is available here and there and that there is a bonus CD, I thought I'd post a somewhat more official statement about this. Didn't think it would have been necessary as both the retail version and the bonus CD are available in stores in Germany, Austria and Switzerland for months now.

So here's the scoop - CDV is releasing CMBO in Europe for us. Last year, we started with a German retail release with ModCD, and this is now being repeated in France, UK and Finland and eventually the rest of Europe. The retail release is exactly what folks that bought CMBO from us directly already have in terms of game, but it's packed in a box. Another "extra" that retailers have been screaming for is the BonusCD, which contains mods, scenarios and a known mod managing utility - all of which is available on various placed on the net, CMHQ being the most prominent one. There are no new units available here, and the game version is 1.12, the same as all of you have.

So the answer to the question if the bonus CD will be released separately is - no. There is no need to, as all the material is available in public already for a long time. If you would burn your favorite mods and scenarios on CD, you'd have exactly what the ModCD contains. It's a "service" for our European customers, who are often on paid dial-up connections and therefore not able to access much of what the excellent mod community has been producing in the last couple of years.

Martin

PS. Slight correction - the bonus CD isn't available with the German version (available in retail since last year), only with the recent UK release.

[ March 07, 2002, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]

mind you all, cdv is the company that's responsible for "Sudden Strike" and continues to advertise it as a wargame that is "extremely realistic", and claims that their silly RTS flashandbang clickfest has "Realistic gun simulations complete with "real" explosions" and that the stupid little RTS units with their cumulative damage bars are "Realistic reproductions of all original units" .

Haha. This is so far out it's not even funny anymore.

IMO cdv is a classic example of one of those software companies that give games, especially wargames, a bad name. And they are quite the opposite to BTS's Manifesto.

[ March 07, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

Hofbauer,

IMO cdv is a classic example of one of those software companies that give games, especially wargames, a bad name. And they are quite the opposite to BTS's Manifesto.
Well, since I wrote the Manifesto... I would disagree with this completely as it relates to CM. Having dealt with many publishers, and worked for them as an employee, I can say without hesitation that CDV is amazing to deal with. Fair, honest, and attentive to our needs. I know of no other publisher that we would even be willing to consider working with.

The two main points about Publishers in the Mainfesto can be boiled down to this:

1. They screw over the developer, which may or may not screw over the customer (most often it does, sooner or later).

2. They screw over the customer by producing a shoddy product, deceptive advertising, poor post sale support, etc.

I don't see how either of these apply to our deal with CDV. #1 could, in theory, but I can tell you for sure that we would not sign any piece of paper that would put us at risk of being screwed over. And since we stand behind our product, no matter who is selling it, there is no problem with #2 either. You might also find it interesting that we even stand behind the localization (which can be shoddy) since we did it ourselves.

The deal with CDV is a good one for Battlefront, CDV, and the thousands of gamers who would not have even known about Combat Mission if it wasn't for this partnership. Everybody wins.

Steve

[ March 07, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

2. They screw over the customer by producing a shoddy product, deceptive advertising, poor post sale support, etc.

(...)

I don't see how either of these apply to our deal with CDV.

(...)

And since we stand behind our product, no matter who is selling it, there is no problem with #2 either. You might also find it interesting that we even stand behind the localization (which can be shoddy) since we did it ourselves.

does that mean you agree with cdv's statements that, essentially, sudden strike is "most realistic"? Have you ever seen, played it?

hmm ok maybe I should make myself a bit clearer. cdv makes these blanket statements about how great their product, sudden strike, is. They specifically advertise it as a realistic, "historically accurate" (couldn't find that quote anymore but they used it when announcing sudden strike) wargame. An uninitiated customer, who, say, isn't really into computers, who is looking for a wargame, something in the range of CM, comes

across this marketing. If he believes the BS cdv keeps spouting, he will get suckered itno buying what is essentially a C&C / RedAlert RTS flashandbang clone.

He will be disappointed (what would you be if you'ld expect something like CM and end up with SuddenStrike?) and blame software producers for producing hyped games that don't stand uop to their advertisement.

This customer was, to use your words, "screwed over" - see No. 2 of your post above from your excellent manifesto.

For you they might be a great company to deal with (hell, CM is a great deal for them, too), and the shelf - version will be as good as my first-batch, 1.12 patched CM, a top-notch product.

but I stand by my statement that from a user-wargamer perspective cdv as a company rates quite low with their preposterous statements on SuddenStrike. If you agree with their marketing hype about SuddenStrike, we will just have to agree to disagree smile.gif

but I stand by my statement that from a user-wargamer perspective cdv as a company rates quite low with their preposterous statements on SuddenStrike. If you agree with their marketing hype about SuddenStrike, we will just have to agree to disagree smile.gif
Oh, I don't disagree at all. I just look at each example as it comes up. Sudden Strike was, for all intents and purposes, their first big release. They stretched the truth (alot in places) about how accurate Sudden Strike was. No, I don't think that was good for wargaming either.

Try and look at it this way... would you rather a Sudden Strike customer buy Combat Mission and get "turned on" to REAL wargaming, or would you rather the Sudden Strike customer to remain ignorant about what a REAL wargame is? Perhpas having CDV publish Combat Mission is the best way to rectify what the harm they did to wargaming? Although that clearly wasn't our intention when we signed up with them, I do believe this is the case. Unintended, positive side effect smile.gif

Steve

PS Is your email working? Just wondering because generally when I email a grog for grog stuff I get an answer really quickly :D No problem if you just haven't got around to it, just wanted to make sure your email was working OK.

Looking at the CDV page site I'm a bit confused about the level of scorn M Hofbauer is heaping on the manufacturer. Okay, it looks a generation or two behind CM but what wargame ISN'T a generation or two behind? At least it's a computer game without the usual rocket packs or zombie robots.

If CM is on store shelves and BTS feels it isn't getting skewered on the deal I'm happy for them. If only they could locate a non-scumball distributor here in the U.S. to allign themselves with.

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

[Oh, I don't disagree at all.

ok then we'll just have to agree that we agree that their marketing of Suddenstrike "wasn't quite totally honest".

PS Is your email working? Just wondering because generally when I email a grog for grog stuff I get an answer really quickly :D No problem if you just haven't got around to it, just wanted to make sure your email was working OK.

oh sh**, I answered already but now I realize I forgot to send it off - it's still in the draft directory. my bad, sending it off right *now*.

btw I wouldn't label myself a grog. there's just a small field of limited knwoledge for me to plant my small potatoes on, plus I *try* to be constructive smile.gif

Im off topic here but...with all this talk of releasing CMBO in stores across the planet, little old Australia seems to be left off the list of "things to do". To purchase CMBO through the internet costs around $110au, every other game ever release costs around $70-90au, from retail shelves. Im sure this must have an effect on sales in australia. Ok I dont understand marketing, costs, publisher crap etc, but the bottom line is if the consumer sees it costs 30% more than any other game they will think twice before buying it.

{edited typo}

[ March 07, 2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Pud ]

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

mind you all, cdv is the company that's responsible for "Sudden Strike" and continues to advertise it as a wargame that is "extremely realistic", and claims that their silly RTS flashandbang clickfest has "Realistic gun simulations complete with "real" explosions" and that the stupid little RTS units with their cumulative damage bars are "Realistic reproductions of all original units" .

If you like the Sudden Strike format, there are a couple of mods available to make it more realistic. Not anything like CM of course but much better. The one I use is Allied Power, a free 50 meg download.

Im off topic here but...with all this talk of releasing CMBO in stores across the planet, little old Australia seems to be left off the list of "things to do".
Okay, now I'm getting confused. If CM is being released at a store near you, providing you live in some desperate lil corner of the planet and you get a bonus CD to boot, or a tee shirt "Went to Germany to buy CM, and all I got was a stinkin knockwurst", or a fold out poster of Matt's shiner er somefink, then how's come those of us in the civilized pockets of the world gotta toss out a credit card over the net? Which is particularly difficult if your credit card was confiscated at the last store where you tried to use it, but that is another story. How's come the CM'ers in Bora Bora don't have to order it over the net like the rest of us? I wanna bonus CD too, its supposed to have the Enron documents on it. :(

[ March 07, 2002, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

That sounds like a Marketing nitwit talking, not the whole company. Does any self respecting wargamer ever really think that an RTS game could be realistic? If they use those phrases to milk the average Quakehead/Command & Conquer weenie, then by all means, go at it! I don't buy games for what they advertise to do.

I also trust BTS in pretty much everything they do (no reason not to) and if they say CDV is ok - then by all means, CDV is ok!

Huzzah, BTS! More power (and money) to you!

Sudden strike bridges the gap between the grogs and non-grogs, they DO state that they have made the game as a balance between fun and realism. I'm sure many Sudden strike players will crossover to CM.

Lets face it if CM wasn't here most of us would be playing Sudden strike with the combat mods and enjoying it.

To tell the truth....

It´s a good decission to have salespartner.

But, i was shocked to see, that it is CDV.

The good thing is, that BTS has a perfect product with Combat Mission. I would say, it is the only one, CDV can offer.

ALL OTHER GAMES (Sudden Strike, Cossacks...) have a lot of problems, very aggressive forums, where the buyers are very,very disappointed about support, patches and the community itself.

I don´t trust CDV at all! I bought Cossacks - it´s a shame how you are treated. No patches - only ADDONs for money, with the same bugs as in the beginning. But CDV is still shouting about reality, greatness, perfect customer support and so on, and so on.

Well, in this case CMBO could only help CDV - and help BTS to sale more copies.

Greetings from Germany

Jochen

Wo ho! I saw CM at my local video game store here in Paris! It's kind of a Mom and Pop store without the Mom part. smile.gif I told the guy I was working on CM2, and he seemed quite impressed, but not enough to give me a discount... smile.gif

Anyway, what a far out impression to see CM in stores. Go BTS!

That reminded me of the first time that I saw an illustration of mine at the local newsstand in Fine Scale Modeller magazine. It took a lot of self control not to start jumping up and down giggling like a schoolgirl (a nasty mental picture there! :D )

What does it matter if CDV makes crapola games or not? They just distributing CM to European customers. Anyone who buys this game are likely the ones who already know about CM and how great it is and that CDV didn't make the game. It's just too sad that so many in Europe just can't buy it online and download the tremendous amount of hires mods other than through a slow dial-up.

Can't buy online?

I'd swear most of our mod masters / mod posting sites / chat group regular sare German / French Spanish / British. And then there's the rumors about bootleg CM CDs on the shelves in Kosovo. Sound like those poor Europeans aren't completely out of the loop afterall.