The secrets of the Bonus CD

I have been waiting to buy this game for nearly 2 years. Why I didn't buy online I really don't know. Thankyou CDV for bringing CMBO to the UK.

I think we deserve the bonus disc for our patience. Fingers crossed Mr Postie has parcel for me in the morning.

This game is so good I still play the demo, which has been on my HD for nearly a year and a half!!

Hope I don't have to wait so long for the sequel!! :D

I hope what erics is saying is wrong. I have Stayed away from the bbs for a while (edit.) I have been happily playing a very talented opponent and scenario maker for the last year and half, six games a day. Just took a peek to see how much longer the wait is... And lo and behold - a publisher......err, ok......but no cross platform (made on Mac) in the boxed version.. smells a little "strings attached...sign here." Don't know what to make of it..... Best of luck CM team - I think you are or..... the exception to the rule but it's nice to step away for a little while and look back ...........

The reason that the European version is PC only is simple - CDV is using a copy protection software that had problems with the hybrid disk of the original CMBO, so one version - PC or Mac - had to be dropped for the retail release. I think you will see that this decision wasn't all too difficult to make ;)

However, we're not happy with this situation at all, and currently working on a solution. Most likely the best we can do is offer localized french and german versions from our own webstore. :( More on this when it's finished.

Originally posted by Rico:

Hehe everyone likes that game ;)

Well I don't.

as to "seems noone wants to discuss the previous issue" all I can say is that obviously you identify very well with the game you seem to assume "everyone likes", which is a much more befitting game for cdv than CM is. And IMHO there is not a lot to discuss about. You really seem to think SuddenStrike is a realism grognard paradies, while I seem to think it's a poor product that is advertised in a "misleading way" to coin the words carefully.

Hi M Hofbauer,

This is the first time i have heard of such a complaint referring to Sudden Strike and cdv's promotion of the product.

On the box itself it says:

"The fantastic depth of the game, the endless tactical opportunities and the magnificent gameplay will never cease to enthrall you"

Personally i dont see this as misleading as many will argue that the claimed information here is true, but as always, each person is to their own.

The game is a 'realistic' one, within reason. Of course all games are not real and only produce elements of realism in them.

Sudden Strike was a #1 hit in many countries so there must have been something right with it. Im sorry that you didnt enjoy the product or were satisfied with our wording regarding it, we cant please everyone all the time.

Feel free to e-mail me concerning us if you like smile.gif

Hi Rico,

Originally posted by Rico:

Hi M Hofbauer,

This is the first time i have heard of such a complaint referring to Sudden Strike and cdv's promotion of the product.

I am sorry but that in itself is "incorrect". Your previous postings show that you have read this thread (since you especially referred to the "previous issue"). Therefore, you must have come across my initial and subsequent posts in this thread, plus those of others who have voiced their opinions on that matter.

Plus you are only referring to the text on the box and not the advertisement you give on your website where you promote your product - I have linked those excerpts in the previous posts.

Anyhow, I sure am glad that your business is running so well and I hope you have many more spectacular successes such as SuddenStrike. The world needs such games, as your sales figures clearly show.

Obviously, you must be doing something right.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

M Hofbauer, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a RTS with damage bars is not going to be an accurate depiction of WW2 (or any type) of combat. It is not a wargame, it is a RTS, and for that genre, it seems to be pretty cool. I played the demo, but as I can't stand RTS, I didn't really like it -- but I did like the fact that it used actual weaponry from reality rather than blue and red meanies, so from that standpoint, it IS realistic. What isn't realistic is the technicalities of the combat and its resolution.

Do not be so hard on game publishers, it is the game DEVELOPERS we must rely on for good games. For example, if CMBB sucked (which we all know is impossible, but to prove a point) -- if it sucked, we would not be angry with CDV we would be angry with BTS, right?

A publisher has one duty: to take a game and see that it gets sold in stores. They have a certain standard of quality to expect, but they cannot account for what a game designer feels is realistic or not, what is good or not. I would not want a publisher of CMBB, for example (again) to state that the Maus should or should not be included, or that any other technical aspect of the game should be a certain way. I would want a publisher of CMBB to do one thing and one thing only: market the game, sell the game.

And for that purpose, judging by the plethora of "I saw CM in stores!" threads popping up, they are doing a bang-up job. Forget about Sudden Strike, dude. It's not your cuppa, so be it.

[ March 10, 2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Well,

i ordered the Demo of Sudden Strike for PC CD-Rom. It came for DVD.

I read about: "Panzerfaustgrenadiere", "Ingenieure" and some other very realistic words.

I knew then, that there is no "love" for wargames, or better to say - a poor localisation, earn money with people, who wanna play quick wargames and don´t care about "realistic - games".

Btw, there have been no "Panzerfaustgrenadiere" - Panzergrenadiere used to have Panzerfausts with them, the word "engeniers" means "Pioniere".

Again - i think, both companies (BTS and CDV)will make a good business. But, with all respect, Sudden Strike is a nice gamy game, no "realistic" one - but, is this important for CMBO sales?

Gretings from Germany

Jochen Schmidt