Tom's Combat Mission...

{Walks up to the podium, slowly looks around the audience, adjusts the mike...}

Ahem, hem; What the devil's all dis blubbering. Ya'll go home now, go on, break it up, move along, move along. Go on home now all of ya...

Why I've downloaded more stuff at Tom's than you can shake a mauser at and save for the rare occasion when Tom was file sorting or somefink, I've had nuffin but good service outta ole Tom.

Now there's all them fancy settings for IE someone er udder recommends above... Mine are set to just the opposite and I ain't narry had a problem. And there's all this fancy hoodoo of accelerators and contraptions. No wonder ya can't download if'n yer using that crap.

Let's look at dis anudder way. Tom ain't got no endless stream of pop-up trash that ever one but the advertiser has figured out is annoying and has the opposite effect than intended.

Tom has been there all along. No dash in the rain that Tom. What was it... Gary Krockover? Had a page up for a fortnight, The Proving Ground then POOF, without warning it was gone. Gone the way of many others.

Like the North star, Tom is there. Guiding us to the safe harbor of mod downloads, ensuring peace and tranquility in our time through the fair and equitable distribution of mods to the masses, selflessly he devotes himself to the public service for the betterment of all modkind. Tirelessly he carries on. Despite the hardships, regardless of the cost, he perseveres. A true leader, an honest man, a family man, a man we can trust... I say; TOM for President!

[ October 27, 2002, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

[QB...Like the North star, Tom is there. Guiding us to the safe harbor of mod downloads, ensuring peace and tranquility in our time through the fair and equitable distribution of mods to the masses, selflessly he devotes himself to the public service for the betterment of all modkind...

[/QB]

*sniff* man, that was beautiful... No, there's just something in my eye...

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong but can't download. I have tried every possible solution that has been offered here...and nothing...

So far I have been trying for about two weeks and I have been able to download three mod's. That's it.

Sometimes it starts to download nicely, other times I get all sorts of erros. Just tried again and nothing.

If the server is busy or has used all of it's bandwith, I would like to know where this server is physically located so I could set my clock to wake me up when the clock hit's midnight in the server area.

I used to be a moderator and one of the founding members for one forum area (Aquarium related) and we first had the problem that the traffic was so huge that in four hours all traffic was blocked and everybody needed to wait until the midnight came, I think in Germany. After that we could start posting again...for four hours.

All I have to say is thanks Tom, and others like you for hosting sites, and using your free time in order to post mods and such, I'am planning on setting up a web site myself I have the time and resources to do this now {plenty of the later} I only hope that when I do that I don't hear folks complianing of getting FREE services {LOL}

One solution, that works for me, that I haven't seen posted here is the right-mouse-click option. Scroll over the link, right-mouse-click, choose "save target as", select destination and hit okay. This works everytime for me. I did not have to adjust my options, I have no accelerator, I go through a firewall etc. Please note that when I click on the link, I get the same error page that everyone is also getting.

The only downside is that I can only download one mod at a time. No problem here.

Speedbump

Originally posted by Speedbump:

One solution, that works for me, that I haven't seen posted here is the right-mouse-click option. Scroll over the link, right-mouse-click, choose "save target as", select destination and hit okay. This works everytime for me. I did not have to adjust my options, I have no accelerator, I go through a firewall etc. Please note that when I click on the link, I get the same error page that everyone is also getting.

The only downside is that I can only download one mod at a time. No problem here.

Speedbump

Thanks Speedbump that work for me! You can also check out cm.cozog.com , it's where I got the mods I wanted before I saw this post!

EDIT: but now i can also download the right way strange will have to try that trick next time it don't work!

[ October 29, 2002, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Sgt CDAT ]

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> For those having trouble downloading from Tom's site, try this.

If you are using Internet Explorer

1.) Go to the Tools menu, then click on the Internet Options... menu item.

2.) On the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab.

3.) Now scroll through the list and make sure the following items are set as listed:

- Enabled Folder view for FTP sites (unchecked)

- Use Passive FTP (checked)

- Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections (checked)

4.) Now go to the General Tab and click on the Delete Files... button. Then click on the Clear History button.

5.) Close Internet Explorer.

6.) Now start Internet Explorer again, go to Tom's site and try downloading.

Hopefully this works for others as it worked for me. I was getting the "Anonymous access denied" (or somefink) error as well. After changing Internet Explorer to these settings, it works fine now.

BTW, I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

EDIT: It doesn't always work the first time. If you still get the message, keep clicking the link. Eventually it will work. I'm not even sure now that the above setting changes make a difference but they can't hurt. Strange indeed.

Keith

</font>

Why are all you drones constantly using IE and complain about how Tom's site is ruining your life? Don't you know Bill Gates is trying to corner the market in Combat Mission Mods? if you don't download them from his site, you can't download anything. I use Opera, and never ever had a problem download from Tom's Site.

Join the rebellion, Bill Gates Sucks

[ October 28, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: YECoyote ]

Yesterday I got the same Server busy message when I tried to dl the Tank mods.

Than IO tried it by right clicking on the download line and choosing the save as function......too my surprise it worked.

One at the time though but it worked.

Fine site Tom!!!

• 4 weeks later...

For those having trouble downloading from Tom's site, try this.

If you are using Internet Explorer

1.) Go to the Tools menu, then click on the Internet Options... menu item.

2.) On the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab.

3.) Now scroll through the list and make sure the following items are set as listed:

- Enabled Folder view for FTP sites (unchecked)

- Use Passive FTP (checked)

- Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections (checked)

4.) Now go to the General Tab and click on the Delete Files... button. Then click on the Clear History button.

5.) Close Internet Explorer.

6.) Now start Internet Explorer again, go to Tom's site and try downloading.

Hopefully this works for others as it worked for me. I was getting the "Anonymous access denied" (or somefink) error as well. After changing Internet Explorer to these settings, it works fine now.

BTW, I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

EDIT: It doesn't always work the first time. If you still get the message, keep clicking the link. Eventually it will work. I'm not even sure now that the above setting changes make a difference but they can't hurt. Strange indeed.

Keith

Well, I've tried this, and no joy.

I know I've gotten through before because I downloaded some "super skin packs" from the site.

I just wish I could get through! It's not just Tom's site - it also seems to happen on Combat Mission Times and only when it's an FTP download.

Tom's site is awesome. I agree that the problem probably lies at Military Gamer Online but I may be wrong. I've used different browsers and this doesn't have an impact on whether you connect or not. I only download one thing at a time but still can't connect 80% of the time. If you really want the mods, just download at non-peak hours. Worked for me.

You know, I posted this thread over a month ago. Maybe it's time people should get over it. You think that I insulted God or something!! I'd said in my original post that I had no quarrel with the guy & that I appreciate the guy & service he provided - still do. I was p***ed at the time because every time I wanted to get something from the site; it was unavailable. I don't have a download accelerator ( never had one ). Madmatt or whomever is in charge: do me & everyone else a favour: lock this one up please.