How I will play CMBB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what really bugs me? Bad Burgundy, thats what.

I know there are good bottles of Burgundy -- from nearly any domaine to be had, if you are willing to pay the right price.

And I'm sure that there are a great number of terrific wines to be had in the under 20 dollar range.

You just have to a) do some resarch or b)care a little bit about what you are drinking.

So my problem is this. My wife and I have these friends who keep bringing over lousy Burgundy, and I'm not sure what to do.

Its as though like these two have a talent for picking the lousiest wine in the store.

Ive tried hinting that California produces some good wines, and Ozztraylya too but it doesn't seem to take.

EDIT: South Africa, too produces some excellent wines. I drank of them extensively when I lived in Joburg. Howzit, WineCape!!!

You guys have any suggestions how to gently suggest that they broaden their horizons?

[ September 11, 2002, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Terence ]

I loved the clown tanks at Rune's sneak peak.

I have no problem with clown tanks. In fact I am down with the clowns. Maybe it's you who has the problem. Yes, that's it exactly. You never liked them...you thought they were dirty...smelly...not to be seen with decent people. But they have prevailed and become more than you and others like you with your petty minds and petty concerns with convention and the public good good ever have imagined they would become. Now regardless of your best efforts they have not only survived, but prevailed and yet with victory in their grasp you reach out from the ashbin of history to try and tarnish their accomplishments. For shame. It's not them that you hate...it's yourself dude...it's yourself.

I hope I don't have to explain about the clown tanks anymore, I really do.

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

tongue.gif

BDH

Originally posted by Terence:

You know what really bugs me? Bad Burgundy, thats what.

I know there are good bottles of Burgundy -- from nearly any domaine to be had, if you are willing to pay the right price.

And I'm sure that there are a great number of terrific wines to be had in the under 20 dollar range.

You just have to a) do some resarch or b)care a little bit about what you are drinking.

So my problem is this. My wife and I have these friends who keep bringing over lousy Burgundy, and I'm not sure what to do.

Its as though like these two have a talent for picking the lousiest wine in the store.

Ive tried hinting that California produces some good wines, and Ozztraylya too but it doesn't seem to take.

EDIT: South Africa, too produces some excellent wines. I drank of them extensively when I lived in Joburg. Howzit, WineCape!!!

You guys have any suggestions how to gently suggest that they broaden their horizons?

Don't feel obligated to open a bottle when it is brought over as a gift. As host, you're perfectly within bounds to thank your guest for the gift, then put it in the pantry.

Practically speaking, have a dish already cooking when your friends arrive that requires wine in the sauce - that way you'll have a bottle open already, may already be enjoying a glass yourself, and can offer some to your guests.

I fully believe in the adage of "Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink". As such, my beef burgundy recipe uses a lower-end Mondavi, and the same wine is served with the dish.

For more advice, I highly recommend the book "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks With Wine". It has good sections on wine etiquette, matching wine with food, establishing your own cellar, etc.

Originally posted by Commander:

....If I can find out the meaning of the .wav files then I will replace them with the English equivalents.

Hmmm... why not replace the wavs with soundbits from The Simpsons...

German: "Acthung"

Russian: "Eat my shorts..."

:D

Claus B

Originally posted by barrold713:

I loved the clown tanks at Rune's sneak peak.

I have no problem with clown tanks. In fact I am down with the clowns. Maybe it's you who has the problem. Yes, that's it exactly. You never liked them...you thought they were dirty...smelly...not to be seen with decent people. But they have prevailed and become more than you and others like you with your petty minds and petty concerns with convention and the public good good ever have imagined they would become. Now regardless of your best efforts they have not only survived, but prevailed and yet with victory in their grasp you reach out from the ashbin of history to try and tarnish their accomplishments. For shame. It's not them that you hate...it's yourself dude...it's yourself.

I hope I don't have to explain about the clown tanks anymore, I really do.

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

tongue.gif

BDH

Obviously someone who was conceived in the back seat of a clown car.

;)

Originally posted by redeker:

Don't feel obligated to open a bottle when it is brought over as a gift. As host, you're perfectly within bounds to thank your guest for the gift, then put it in the pantry.

Practically speaking, have a dish already cooking when your friends arrive that requires wine in the sauce - that way you'll have a bottle open already, may already be enjoying a glass yourself, and can offer some to your guests.

I fully believe in the adage of "Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink". As such, my beef burgundy recipe uses a lower-end Mondavi, and the same wine is served with the dish.

For more advice, I highly recommend the book "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks With Wine". It has good sections on wine etiquette, matching wine with food, establishing your own cellar, etc.[/QB]

I like to serve a Cote Du Rhone with Beef Burgundy, and am particularly fond of Chateauneuf Du Pape.

The 97 is extremely good, btw. Parker gave it 92 points, not that he's the be all and end all of wine, but its a point in its favor.

Your advice is good, its better to just keep the crummy wine around and use it for cooking when necessary. And tactically, having good wine open when the guests arrive is something the host should do anyway.

I do agree that one should not cook with a wine one would not drink, but these Burgundys are not really undrinkable, they are just extremely undistinguished.

Its a lot harder to pick a good French wine at random, I think. The weather over there makes the years much more uneven....

I like to serve a Cote Du Rhone with Beef Burgundy, and am particularly fond of Chateauneuf Du Pape.

Ah, Chateauneuf Du Pape. I have many good memories of "French picnics" on the living room floor with french bread, brie, roasted garlic, and a bottle of Chateauneuf Du Pape. ;)

Sorry, I didn't want to state something that was assumed.

Aren't most events in certain parts of Kentucky family reunions of one sort or another?

Ha-cha-cha.

Now are ya' gonna stop bad mouthing the clown tanks and accept their inner beauty and worth?

I like wine.

CM:BB will be great no matter how you play it.

There back on topic.

Where's that syringe? Spiders? Eww!

BDH

Ive tried hinting that California produces some good wines, and Ozztraylya too

No it does not. I would not lick Australian wine off the leggy Australian blonde sitting opposite me at work, and it is not because of her.

If I want blackcurrant juice, I order it. If I want wine that tastes like blackcurrant juice - well, I don't want such wine. The Aussies can feed it to their sheep.

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

C'mon Modders! We need clown tanks!

Green on the left facing plates, red on the right, blue on top and yellow to the fore (am I right? I can't quite recall...)

Quite. Don't forget that one could also mod a little honking horn sound, when the main gun is fired.</font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Terence:

Ive tried hinting that California produces some good wines, and Ozztraylya too

No it does not. I would not lick Australian wine off the leggy Australian blonde sitting opposite me at work, and it is not because of her.

snip

</font>

:D I will have to admit that I did not "express" myself properly here. LOL, this topic has generated the absolute worst thread drift. Anyway, I realize with the demo version of CMBB and playing with conscript Russians that the game is very accurate. I guess I just want a chance at winning and I "know" how good the Axis toys are. My intention then is to play with better allied toys later in the war and use them with "American" tactics as much as possible. Got to beat back those kraut hordes somehow. Besides that, I had just finished watching, "Enemy At The Gates" and was appalled at what I saw. You get no training, no rifle, a few bullets and then told to run towards crack Germans who are intent on stopping your "human wave" and when you realize how stupid it is, your officers shoot you anyhow.

I may just mod some clown tanks and will mix ice cream truck music in with the sound of the engines. :D

Originally posted by R_Leete:

I like cheap white wine. Berringer's white zin. No, it ain't on anybody's "must-buy" list, but it keeps me happy.

As much as I consider you to be an uncouth lout, I'm forced to agree with you on this. If you pay more than five bucks for the bottle, you're just paying for the label. :D

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

...While in CM:BB, because have no "emotional attachment" to either side

I can better enjoy those "Tactical Possibilities" that are offered by playing both Axis & Allies

But on the East Front (and in CMBB), the Germans and their Finnish/Rumanian/Italian/Hungarian/Bulgarian/Croation/etc. cronies were the "Allies". ;)

[ September 11, 2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: CKibler ]

Originally posted by CKibler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jeffsmith:

...While in CM:BB, because have no "emotional attachment" to either side

I can better enjoy those "Tactical Possibilities" that are offered by playing both Axis & Allies

But on the East Front (and in CMBB), the Germans and their Finnish/Rumanian/Italian/Hungarian/Bulgarian/Croation/etc. cronies were the "Allies". ;) </font>