Suggest some other great wargames

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

I agree with Stoffel, TacOps is a good game. Operation Flash Point is a good FPS. Strategic Command is alright. Other than that, I don't play computer games. Have you tried any board games?

No, no board wargames.

I was wondering about these other series like Close Combat, Panzer Elite, Panzer Commander etc. Are they any good?

I would try the three you mentioned. A little short of $ now...

One more, I can't believe I forgot it. The Operational Art of War. Make sure you get the century of war version, it fixes the bugs in the previous editions. Also combines them.

It is, as far as I am concerned, the definitive operational level computer wargame. With it, you can simulate any conflict of the 20th century.

I was wondering about these other series like Close Combat, ...
CC is a mixed bag. I thought it to be the most realistic non-hex-based game before CM came out. But if you're (like me) going for realism and historical accuracy and therefore like CM, you won't be satisfied. If you long for a little more real time action, it might be something for you.

5 titles were produced. Greatest setback of all was their extremely weak AI, which even got worse with later installments. Some say CC2 ('A Bridge too Far') had the best AI. IMHO CC4 and 5 ('Battle of the Bulge' and 'Invasion Normandy') had the weakest, infantry teams crawl into your fields of fire and simply die there while tanks love to present their ass to you. Conclusion: It is only good for online H2H gaming.

H2H is where it shines. And you'll get lots of tongue-in-the-cheek action.

Unfortunately CC5 came out prematurely and is extremely instable. I got pissed off having to restart 1 out of two battles due to crashes.

CC4 is said to be extremely stable, but has other setbacks. Some weapons data is unbalanced and therefore German tanks and Schrecks are über which can lead to frustration. Also, force-pool dynamics are flawed, which means, the King-Tiger you manage to kill today magically reappears the next morning.

CC3 was the most popular installment. A great mod for it, called 'Real Red', does away with any unrealism complaints one may have. It is a good game IMO that covers all 4 years on the Russian front. Only weakness is that the operational layer is weak. Ops are a string of battles on several maps with the winner either moving west or east on to the next map.

CC2 has the coolest op layer and deals with 'Market Garden'. Allies have to break through in linked battles while the Germans have to hold as long as they can to win. Graphics are a little outdated and gameplay improvements CC3 brought are missed (direction arcs etc.). Kinda BO compared to BB. But on the other hand, some ppl e.g. still prefer BO due to the setting.

Hope, this helps with buying decision. With some internet research it should still be possible to dig up demos for all 5 installments.

[ August 16, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: reinald@berlin.com ]

Welcome!

Because you are already playing the best tactical wargames ever created I will just add that 'Talonsofts Campaign Series" is alot of fun...and the scenarios are great reference material for creating your own battles for CM.

For just a fun "Beer And Pretzels" WW2 game I have enjoyed the "Sudden Strike" series online. :D

I tried Panzer Commander for awhile, liked the game but there were some annoying bugs. Liked it best when I used a Voice Command software. Didnt quite perfect the commands I wanted but close enough I got the feel of a tank commander ordering his crew.

But then along came CM and I have not looked at anything else for three years.

Too much of a Good Thing IS Wonderful... Toad

There is no other game for tactical warfare like CM. For strategy I like playing Heart of Iron and Europa Universalis II. I used to (still am) a big Avalon Hill fan esp. Empires in Arms and Squad Leader. CM beats all other WWII games in my opinion, HOI is another winner in my mind despite its bugs and ai problems.

I think CMBO is a great game, with hours of replayability. Im still going stron after 6+ months. CMAK is in my destiny as well as possibly CMBB. I cut my e-teeth on panzer general/PG2 (dropped ASL like a sack of potatoes) moved on to east/west front (has their merits) and finally stumbled on to CMBO. Nothing though compares to the heady days of the 70's staying up all night playing the AH classics like 3rd reich, 1776, bulge, russian campaign, etc. etc. if you were/are lucky enough to have a ftf player (as I did) the experience of physically moving stacks of counters around is, i feel in some twisted way superior to the virtual battlefield, at least on the operational/strategic level.

I have recently managed to reel in my brother and childhood boardgame opponent (and a former employee of Avalon Hill designer/graphic artist) to the grasp of CMBO, and he's totally hooked. He even had an ASL american leutenant counter named after him (for real). how grognard is that? I know for sure that his heart lies with the old boardgames and the hours spent playing them are dear. my point is that maybe some of you younger folks could check out some of the better boardgames out there (GMT games has all the old and best personell of the industry) and give them a try. here's a choice for all you bulge fanatics (you know who you are)

designed by my old ftf buddy:

awsome bulge game

shameless plug? well, uh...

happy gaming to all.

Alsation said it in a nutshell...

I did enjoy Steelbeasts and Panzer Elite [those debriefs were great].

Going back a couple decades I was a great fan of the S&T boardgames back in the 80's particularly Airwar, HWTR, Wellington's Victory and Mechwar II [the best], hell' I still have my unpunched copy of CNA [Campaign for North Africa] must be a collectors item now..lol

For really big/huge scenario's you can't beat the Talonsoft's campaign series which consists of West Front,East Front (EF2 is far better) and Rising Sun.

If you pop over to the Blitz site and click on message boards then campaign series, you will find a section there comparing the CS games against the CM games.Some very good points made there and well worth a read smile.gif

I've been trying to get into Uncommon Valor lately, but I'm just not hooked on it (yet?). Seems that you can really micro-manage every detail if you want, but it's click, click, click on menu after sub-menu to get to things. I'm reading the manual now, trying to pick up some things that will help me along. Anybody else playing this? How about another recommendation for a PacWar game?

My brother downloaded P.T.O II from the underdogs and said he's having a blast. I couldn't get it to run on my Win2k box though. I did put it on my son's Win98 system, but he won't let me play. :(

Well, I still love the old Panzer General 2 game just to show you how set in my ways I am. I don't know about better, but I sure as hell know about worse. I highly recommend you do not buy Strategy First's G.I. Combat if you ever see it and mistake it for an interesting option to CM. It looks good on the box and there are a few good reviews on the net (by people who I don't think really played the game or have far too many games to play and review), but think twice. Just imagine trying to play CM in real-time with a harder to use interface and having to control platoons where every individual soldier is pictured. Not a nice thought, is it?