I'm not even sure I can order this game...

Some of you may remember a post I made probably around April about my buddy struggling against colon cancer and that CMBO was the only thing that really kept his mind engaged. He was very worried he'd never see the "East Front" version of the game. Well, he won't as he passed away on July 4th.

We really loved CMBO and it was even more important for the two of us to play as it was the only thing he could look forward to. He had to quit his job, etc, and this was the only thing he had for entertainment. The game was very theraputic to him. And I appreciate the designers of the game creating this program. It gave us a reason to interact on something other than his condition. We had been friends and "war gamers" since we were 13 years of age. He was 45. So pratically we've known each other for life. I guess those who created this game never really considered how it could provide some relief and distractions to someone in serious need of it. Funny how life turns out like that. I thank you all deeply for this.

I've not played CMBO since because it's a bit painful, but I still have all his PBEM games we were playing saved. I can't bring myself to delete them.

I sure wish he could have seen the new game. He'd ask me just about every day if it was "out". And usually add "I'll never see it" when I told him it was coming. I guess I'll order this one...eventually. One of these days. But I think it will be awhile. I don't know yet.

I can't even tell you why I'm posting this. Mainly, I guess, is to thank the company for developing CMBO. It truly is a remarkable game. The game was certainly a conduit strengthening the bond I had with my friend during a time he needed a distraction and a challenge.

Sorry to hear of the sad loss of your life long friend, Hilltopper.

It must be an emotional time for you now with the eagerly anticipated CMBB soon to be released.

But it is comforting to see that you can come back into this wonderful CM online community and express yourself. We are all a "band of brothers" here and I'm sure everyone else feels the same.

Best wishes for you in the future and chin up. I'm sure your mate would have wanted that for you ...

If you ever feel like dabbling in a PBEM in the future, I'll take you up on that.

Kindest regards,

Jeff

[ September 14, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: AussieJeff ]

Hilltopper,

Sorry about your friend. Did he at least get to see some CMBB screenshots before he passed? Sure hope so!

As for the therapeutic and distractive value of the game, I totally concur. It's kept me from going stark, staring mad on several occasions, while driving me mad on others.

But look on the bright side--heaven gets fully patched CMBB first!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ September 14, 2002, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

God bless you sir. It is wonderful that something so "trivial" as a game can help to bring people closer together and make life a better place in general. <salute>

Don't fear for your friend though, I have it from my sources that God gets the first round shipment of CMBB up there (perhaps he's in the Beta?) I'm quite sure that if CMBB would be part of your friend's paradise, he won't be without it. Unfortunately my PBEM lines to Valhala aren't quite up to snuff, and my tech support of bloody awful.

I'm reading the manuel cover to cover too, just finished 2nd Kings, and still nothing! I guess they need a "Bibile for Dummies." ;)

Very moving post. You are a very special friend. You didn't tell us his name. I would like to know that. It kinda keeps him alive.

Since he wanted to play, and now can't, maybe, since you knew his tactics and ways, you would someday want to play as him. If you do, just email and we can give your friend a game to remember. (He will beat me, I'm sure). Winning or losing, tho, isn't the point.

I'll only ask you what it would be that he would want. What he would want for him, and what he would want for you. It seems that he certainly wouldn't want you to cease what you say he held so high.

Take care, you've made many new friends today thru him. Powerful in life, Powerful in death.

God Bless

Hilltopper,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately I know something about what you've gone through and are going through, so I feel for you.

For what it's worth, I think that you should give yourself all the time you need, and if the day comes when it's not too painful to return to Combat Mission, you should try it again. I think maybe your friend would want you to.

Hang in there, Hilltopper.

Papa

May your friend rest in peace. You gave him a special value in life: true friendship.

He left you with memories to cherish.

Amazing how the Lord is able to find the tiniest insignificant facts of life to allow us to express our love to our dear ones.

God bless

PS

The next time you'll find yourself playing I am sure your friend will be there smiling at you. Who knows, maybe some untold special tactic you never tried suddenly becomes clear in your mind.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my best friend ( we'd grown up together; pretty much ) due to illness about 10 years ago. I still miss him a great deal. He would have loved both CMBO & CMBB ( he liked games that make you think ). I'm not going to say that I know how it feels ( it's different for everyone ). All I can say is that you have my sympathy.

Man...

**** happens!

That includes death.

But sorrow is useless instead honor he's memory with yuor future deeds.

If he ever had unique tactic write it so he's work may live on even after creator has fade away.

Win a tourney for him since he can't anymore or something.

Besides it makes great fun!

If thou thinks that abandoning CM servers he's memory best then that's yuor call, yuo knew him I didn't.

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like it was a great friendship. Time will heal all wounds, and when they're healed and you feel like playing CMBB, you've got a lot of guys on this board that will be your next wargame buddy. Don't hesitate to email me for a game.