***Rumblings Of War II: The Boots & Tracks Brawl***

The one map I've seen so far is quite fantastic and I can't wait to play the game!

But, hey, why should TB155 go to all the trouble of posting clean screenshots? We're all going to see the scenarios soon enough....

Anyway, if you do, TB, I'll certainly be gawkin' at 'em. :D:D

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, especially Section II,

made contact with Combined Arms , first move is under way. Send first move to J. Porta .

Waiting for Pixelmaster, Torbhen, a1steaks .

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Many thanks to Treeburst155 for all the work and to all those scenario designers.

[ June 06, 2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Scheer ]

Jack Trap,

I'll see if I can dig up a previous post on the gamey issue.

TOURNEY 3, SECTION 3

I've held back your files in hopes of getting a replacement quickly so I don't have to mess up my elaborate file distribution system. I will send files today regardless.

TOURNEY 1, SECTION 3

Kiwi Joe has withdrawn from the tournament! I'll send you an updated schedule/contact list when his slot is filled. Evidently, he thought this was a CMBB tournament. CMBO won't even run on his machine.

Treeburst155 out.

The following was taken from the Nordic Championship thread. It states how I think you guys should handle the gamey question.

There are no rules concerning such play because every situation is different. What might be gamey in one situation might be perfectly OK in another. There is also disagreement on what is or isn't gamey. There are however some tactics that are generally considered gamey. If you use such tactics you may detract from your opponents' enjoyment of the game. Below is a list of tactics generally accepted as gamey. Discuss this list with your opponents. You should know how he feels about the list. Gamey tactics aren't nearly as effective if you KNOW your opponent is going to use them. If you know he intends to use some of these tactics you can defend against the tactics or use them yourself.

I cannot over-emphasize the importance of coming to an understanding with your opponents concerning this list. Be truthful with your opponents if you intend to use any of the tactics below.

POTENTIALLY Gamey Tactics-Use at your own risk. Your opponent may not like it if he sees these things.

1) Setting fire to "squares" or buildings unoccupied by enemy troops, ESPECIALLY to deny a VL or covered access to one.

2) Advancing large formations along the map edge.

3) Scouting with AT teams, crews of knocked out vehicles or guns, MG teams, and anybody who is "low" on ammo.

4) Recon with light (cheap) vehicles well into enemy territory.

5) Exposing AT teams and FOs SOLEY for the purpose of drawing enemy fire.

6) Ordering vehicle and gun crews to participate in an attack or hunt down enemy teams or spotters.

7) Rushing the flag(s) in the last turn or two when you would have no hope of surviving were the game to go another turn or two.

Avoid these tactics and you are safe. Use them and you have stepped into the risky gray area of "Potentially Gamey Tactics".

GOLDEN RULES:

Protect your AT teams until they have a target.

Use half squads and spare HQs for scouting/recon.

Keep your vehicle/gun crews alive.

Ask yourself the following questions while giving orders:

1) Would the order be given in real life?

2) Would the order be obeyed in real life?

3) Will the results of that order affect the battle in a realistic way or will you be exploiting imperfections of the game engine?

To German Commanders in "Fire On The Mountain",

Lucio is in the east, not the west as described in the briefing in one instance.

There is another east/west question I don't want to be specific about on the forum. I would also rather not have to put together an email to 36 people. The answer is: West, on or about turn 7.

Treeburst155 out.

Attention TOURNEY III, Section 3!

Boris "Big B" Balaban will be replacing Nemo. You will receive an updated schedule/contact list shortly. Welcome aboard Big B!!

Jazza,

I have a slot available for you if you wish. I sent an email to the address in your profile. Please respond ASAP. THANKS!!

Treeburst155 out.

TB -

First, although I have recieved 2 scenarios, I have either lost or did not receive the email list of my opponents.

Second, in regards to your previous post, are you saying we will be judged on gamey play? I don't generally engage in those tactics, as they are often counterproductive, but I really don't want to deal with some geeky grog screaming because I didn't advance in proper company order or somefink. Just wondering what your reaction will be if I tell such a person to 'git stoofed'.

Steve

Mr Spkr,

I will send you your schedule/contact list.

The gamey play post is simply something for players to consider and talk over with their opponents if they are concerned about running into gamey play. Using human designed scenarios, I have yet to hear any complaints concerning this issue. smile.gif

Players who are "sensitive" to gamey play should definitely bring the issue up with their opponents so there are no surprises. Consider the post above to be talking points for the combatants.

To all,

The files for "Another Day" are going out now. Remember, this scenario is called "Tiger Woods" on your game schedules.

Treeburst155 out.

" 2) Would the order be obeyed in real life?"

It would if I held a pistol to their heads and said "No matter how bad your chances are out there. They are INFINITELY worse if you stay here with me." ;)

Ah, motivating the "other ranks" ;)

[ June 06, 2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Fionn ]

Originally posted by Fionn:

" 2) Would the order be obeyed in real life?"

It would if I held a pistol to their heads and said "No matter how bad your chances are out there. They are INFINITELY worse if you stay here with me." ;)

Ah, motivating the "other ranks" ;)

You gamey bastard.... smile.gif

A couple little things here.

John Jelinek, at least one person is having trouble getting through to you.

I forgot to mention that "Ricochet" is now posting as "Ted". He feels you should all know the real name of the guy who is beating the pants off you, or something like that. :D

Fionn,

Ah yes, courage by coercion. That's gamey until we get to the Russian front I believe.

The files for "Another Day" (Tiger Woods) are all sent. I have only two scenarios to go, along with taking care of Kiwi Joe's replacement. Jazza, are you out there?

Treeburst155 out.

delete.jpg

This is in regards to my request on the last page; I just wanted to show off how beautiful the mountain terrain is; Kettler and I both placed lower than we might have liked in the Invitational, so we are looking forward to playing each other for bragging rights. It's a gorgeous map we've been given. I have removed any trace of set up areas or forces; hope this is ok.

I love the way the little villages are nestled into the mountains; very realistic. (edited for spelling)

[ June 06, 2002, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

M. Dorosh,

How did you edit a saved game file?

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst, you have no idea how much it freaked me out to receive Kobayashi Maru.cmb in my mailbox; I played that scenario about 12 times in the Invitational....so I used Captain Kirk's solution to the same scenario.

Kirk was the gameyest of gamey bastards, wasn't he....

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I forgot the story. How did Kirk get out of the no-win situation? He changed the game somehow, but I can't remember the details.

I take it you simply created a similar map to show some of the features you liked about the map?

Treeburst155 out.

No, that is the actual map. I didn't mean to include details of my force composition; but it is only one little tank. No big whoop....right John? :D

Mike,

It was the Star Trek movie in which a Vulcan female officer was being trained up in one of the simulators vs at least 3 Klingon vessels.

She complained that the scenario was unwinnable. McCoy or Spock agreed with her and then it came out that Kirk had won it... Later on one of them tells her that he won by reprogramming the simulator so that it was possible to destroy the simulated Klingon ships. He got a medal for his original thinking too ;) .

Quite a manoeuvrist solution actually ;)

(practically swoons from apparent vertigo; looks ill)

Okay, I've seen the maps, but my brain was overwhelmed by the experience, notably the one Michael Dorosh provided a snippet of. The tactical problems are even worse. Am bitterly dismayed that no Maus was shown. Am searching for my brain, presently AWOL. Will start one game and respond to ther once I recapture my brain.

Regards,

John Kettler

Attention TOURNEY I, Section 3!

Jazza will be replacing Kiwi Joe. You can expect an updated schedule/contact list within 24 hours.

I will need to send Jazza his files too. He has nothing yet. Welcome aboard, Jazza!

FrankV is now #1 on the backup list, followed by Yankee Dog.

Treeburst155 out.

[ June 06, 2002, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

quick question here, I'm sure the answer is really simple.

I'm on a mac, sometimes email cmb txt files won't load, just get an error. Had the problem a long while back, apparently windows does something to txt files, work around is to stuff them. Got the problem again now with the tourney.

Anyone else run into this? I have rather limited PBEM knowledge.

If so, are there other work arounds to this?

thnx for any feedback!

kunstler

btw the mountain map looks awesome

Originally posted by Ted:

Not advancing in company order! :eek:

Kick him out!

In the Nordic Wannabe we had the same rules and I don’t believe there was one complaint.

Well, I did kinda wonder when all of Ted's troops minced across the bridge, holding hands and giggling like schoolgirls....... :D