Should we have a COMBAT MISSION "FAN FAIRE?"

Over my cheetos today I was reading Newsweek Magazine. In it, there is an article talking about "internet" gaming. I noticed that those wack-jobs who play "Everquest" have a "Fan Faire" or something where

they all get together and, well, talk about Everquest or something.

My question to you guys...

Should there be a Combat Mission Convention? If so, where? What the hell would we do there? Shine Matt's head? Look at models? Play massive TCPIP games? Buy T-shirts? Talk about the A/I? Get Steve rip-roaring drunk? Where should we have it? My vote is Vegas, but hey, I'll compromise. Should we invite those dorks who made G.I. Combat? Shall we invite veterans to come talk to us so we can put an end to the TAC AI debate once and for all? How many people would come? And could we really call them "people"? Can we all smoke cigars and drink whiskey with Wild Bill?

Your thoughts, please..

Frank

If i understand you right (my dictionary doesn't know this vocabulary), this is a real place for meeting.

No.

IMO such things are mixing up fiction and reality or trying to transform fiction into reality.

CM is a game.

We are playing it.

We are discussing it.

Over the time we are becoming familiar with other players. But this usually has nothing in common with being interested in the other person's character, like in letter-friendships.

We here are sharing the same passion - but it's not possible to build real life on such things.

Real life is different.

Real friends, too - not to talk about comrades.

I don't like this kind of - becoming more and more popular - manifesting cyber-world built on consumption.

IMO this is only a sign, a wish to create out of the cyberworld something, that people are already missing in reality.

But if we want REAL life, we have to quit CM, shut down the computer and go outside the own walls.

It's the same as with the everywhere present article sex.

Never before we consumed that much artificial sex, but all studies show, that real sex, was never before that rare like today in white man's world.

[ November 20, 2002, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

Having met a bunch of fellow CM players in real life, I can tell you that we would be arrested or sent to an asylum in mass if more than 10 CM players gathered in one place. Actually, we had about 15 at the first DC area meeting, and we managed to get strange stares from every babe in the bar. We resembled a convention of Unibomber look-a-likes.

If you think these guys are weird on the forum, you ain't seen nothing. Worldwide geographic dispersal is God's way of protecting us from each other.

A CM gamer's convention? I think that would be good. After all, PC wargaming is a hobby of sorts, and all kinds of hobbies have regional or national conventions: plastic models, comics, role-playing games, anime, cannibalism, masochistic devices (OOOOPPPS !!!!).......

But Vegas? Ummm.....I couldn't advocate that on either a national or regional basis. Hey, it'd be great to go play slots during convention breaks, but Vegas seems a bit more "isolated" for bringing in gamers to a relative national "hub."

I'd be more enthused if the Battlefront guys could show, but if doing so would involve a sizable cost (like paying for convention site rental), I could understand their preference not to bother.

A better type of convention would be to "up the ante" and see if one for PC wargaming in general can be had, with other wargame developers participating too. More developers would have the chance to shoot the breeze and talk of trends they expect to go with in their future projects.

Originally posted by Spook:

A CM gamer's convention? I think that would be good.

A better type of convention would be to "up the ante" and see if one for PC wargaming in general can be had, with other wargame developers participating too. More developers would have the chance to shoot the breeze and talk of trends they expect to go with in their future projects.

A boarder Wargamer focus might eb a good idea.

THere was a name for the Avalon hill convention for wargameing where teams send players to complete in tournments. What was the name of that and is it still going on?

something like "origins" or something?

A wargamer convention where there could be tournements for both CMBB and CMBO would be very cool

Maybe sometime next summer?

Maybe some place more central to the US then Vega? (like right in the middle of the us? Maybe St Louis? (just a guess at a central location)

OR maybe near some armour Museum like nearby Fort knox?

just a few idea's

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

THere was a name for the Avalon hill convention for wargameing where teams send players to complete in tournments. What was the name of that and is it still going on?

Yup, "Origins" was its name. At least it was in the 1970's & 1980's.

By the 1990's, the "Origins" game convention that was held in summertime in Columbus OH had definitely shifted away from historical wargaming as prime fare. Vendors like TalonSoft would still show, and there were still wargaming events, but the greater bulk of participation was for fantasy gaming or role-play in general, like "Magic: the Gathering."

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Spook:

A CM gamer's convention? I think that would be good.

A boarder Wargamer focus might eb a good idea.

A wargamer convention where there could be tournements for both CMBB and CMBO would be very cool

Maybe sometime next summer?

Maybe some place more central to the US then Vega? (like right in the middle of the us? Maybe St Louis? (just a guess at a central location)

OR maybe near some armour Museum like nearby Fort knox?

just a few idea's

-tom w</font>