CMBB Hit

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wittmann:

Laphroaig (once the taste buds are numb)

Shame on you. If that's how you treat your Laphroaig, then I demand you surrender your supply to me forthwith.

For myself, I imagine I will be breaking out the Glenlivet Solera Reserve with filtered water on the side for that all important first battle.

I am more of a US microbrew fan- so from the beer perspective it will be India Pale Ales (IPAs), Sierra-style Pale Ales, and Stouts. Probably, at least one Russian Imperial Stout, like:

Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Also, to toast the BFC guys- it will be Oban Scotch.

Of course, if the wife is around, we will have to have a glass of red wine. Then, she will roll her eyes, mutter something under her breath, and walk away (at least she will have the wine...).

So, during the first weekend of CMBB play contact me about mid-Saturday for a game of PBEM I should be drunk enough to accurately portray a lousy Russian general of 1941.

The last BoB episode coming out in a moment. Should I watch it through Laphroaig or Lagavulin? Decisions, decisions, decisions..

In an attempt to broaden my horizons, I've been recently experimenting with cognacs. Not quite there yet, but I do like them.

As a preliminary result (need more research, what a shame) I don't like Meukov too much, Croizet is also a little bland. Haven't had enough Carriere and Martell to make up my mind.

Could somebody recommend a Cognac with a very strong "cognac-flavour"? Or a preferred one with reasoning. I almost like "three star Jaloviina" but maybe not quite as much as the "real thing".

Originally posted by Andreas:

Were these guys drunk or stoned when they came up with the names? Because German it ain't...

Rumpleminz and Black Haus used to be made in Germany but they are now a product of Canada. I know what you mean though, the names are kinda corny. My brother and I used to own a liquor store here in upstate New York. I've had my share of hooch. We used to taste different stuff every other day from cheap wine to expensive single malt scotch.

C'mon September 20th!

Originally posted by Jarmo:

Could somebody recommend a Cognac with a very strong "cognac-flavour"? Or a preferred one with reasoning.

Can't claim to be much of a cognag-grognard, but musta rellu, i.e., Renault Carte Noire Extra, tastes mighty fine to me. Ignore the blue label stuff, that's ****e. And something like Remy Martin is too light, more like a party starter than a true coinnosseur's choice. :D

Originally posted by Jarmo:

Could somebody recommend a Cognac with a very strong "cognac-flavour"? Or a preferred one with reasoning. I almost like "three star Jaloviina" but maybe not quite as much as the "real thing".

Hennessy VSOP has always been a favorite of mine.

[ August 28, 2002, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

JackCarr,

Did you own a liquor store in Walden? I didn't know there were any CM'ers that close to me. I live in Blooming Grove. Perhaps after the demo has been out for a few days we could venture over to the Orange Inn and discuss some of the finer points of human wave attacks over a sample of Bad Apfel or Asbach Uralt, or some other spirit of choice.

Paul

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Vodka, for definate.

And it's got to be cold. If the bottle doesn't freeze to your hand, it's too warm.

Smirnoff black label for preference. Smoooooth.

smile.gif

Smirnoff gives me headaches, Absolute is good in the occasional sea breeze.

No, i don't use any F-ing umbrellas.... :D

Originally posted by John D Salt:

Many years ago, we ran a big Russian Front 1/76th miniatures game in which players were given a "silver bullet" each time they performed some act of note. A "silver bullet" is if my memory fails me correctly equal parts of schnapps and vodka. In our game, these were presented on a Queen's Regiment silver salver, and had to be downed in one.

This reminds me... our faculty's resident chaos theory expert collaborates with Russian academics and travels there fairly often, usually to such sunny spots as Cheylabinsk and Omsk. Once he came across a "special anniversary edition" of some small vodka brand being sold in black, bullet-shaped bottles. The anniversary being celebrated was the former distillery propritor's slaying by the mafia.

Barring obtaining some of this, I'd go for Gentleman Jack on the rocks.

Numerous shots of official Soviet Union brand vodka (no longer being made btw) - very, very smooth. Each shot strictly chased with sliced raw bacon fat, smoked fish, pickled cucumber, or cheese on rye. Pel'meni makes a fine alternate chaser as well ;)

Addendum: And don't forget a big fat dob each of sour cream and butter with your pel'meni!

[ August 28, 2002, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

When you get sleepy:

Playing Germans:

mix Jaegermeister with Red Bull or another energy drink of your choice.

Playing Russians:

Substitute Vodka (Smirnoff or Absolut will do) for the Jaegermeister.

If you don't like energydrinks, try Jaegermeister with Coke, strange but tasty!

[edited. too dumb to type]

[ August 29, 2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Lindan ]

If I can get CMBB to work on my brick of a PC then I shall celebrate with some Napolean brandy followed by several pints of Asahi - a truly marvelous japanese beer.

If I can't get it to work then I'll skip the brandy, down several shots of Jagermeister and proceed onto the Asahi prior to curling into a fetal ball on the floor.

Gaff

Originally posted by Grisha:

Numerous shots of official Soviet Union brand vodka (no longer being made btw) - very, very smooth. Each shot strictly chased with sliced raw bacon fat, smoked fish, pickled cucumber, or cheese on rye. Pel'meni makes a fine alternate chaser as well ;)

Addendum: And don't forget a big fat dob each of sour cream and butter with your pel'meni!

Vobla. MMmmmmm.

I didn't do anything special for CMBO, 'cause when I start playing I thought it was just going to be another game... all the fool, me.

While I'd like to do something 'in the genre', as it were, vodka is just something that doesn't make it past my nose alone. Since there are Hungarians in the game, I suppose I could knock back some palinka.

I'll ponder this; but I can say with utmost certainty:

It'll be ANYTHING but a Sam Adams!