Has CDV Violated its Agreement with BFC by Selling CMBB in U.S. Retail Stores?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good news: CMBB in mass retail stores

bad news: cmbb illegally in mass retail stores

worse news: another wave of young newbie whiners gonna flood this forum soon. "Where's the Power Upgrade ?" "What do mean, my troops has only one life ?" "Where's the Horse Mod ?"

Yup! It's out here in 94611 (Oakland, CA).

Looks like it's gettin' snapped up, too. (Of course.)

Emeryville Superstore

Emeryville, CA 94608  (510) 450-9500 6 Miles In-Stock

Downtown San Francisco Superstore

San Francisco, CA 94102  (415) 391-9778 15 Miles Out-Of-Stock

Concord Superstore

Concord, CA 94520  (925) 681-0255 18 Miles Out-Of-Stock

San Bruno Superstore

San Bruno, CA 94066  (650) 244-9980 21 Miles Out-Of-Stock

San Rafael Superstore

San Rafael, CA 94901-3943  (415) 482-9199 23 Miles In-Stock

Pacific NW

Store Information Distance Availability

Jantzen Beach Superstore

Portland, OR 97217  (503) 240-4900 9 Miles In-Stock

Portland Superstore

Tigard, OR 97223  (503) 684-1662 17 Miles Out-Of-Stock

Tacoma Superstore

Tacoma, WA 98409-7709  (253) 473-0200 106 Miles In-Stock

Tukwila Superstore

Tukwila, WA 98188  (206) 575-2922 125 Miles In-Stock

Bellevue Superstore

Bellevue, WA 98004  (425) 452-9511 138 Miles In-Stock

Conceivably, if BFC is getting its cut of every copy CDV sells regardless, they might not be too upset about it. I mean, they don't have a U.S. retail-distribution deal more 'cause they haven't been offered a deal they're happy with than because they have some objection in principle to the game being on store shelves in the U.S., right?

Here, in France, we are really disappointed with the CDV distribution : :(

- The manuel is not complete (we have to print a lot of page from PDF files...)

- Installation is quite a matter of chance because of the security keys...

- We had to download the last patch from a german site (65Mo...), and I do not know if the french retailer worry about his customers....

Next time, I will prefer to pay more in order to buy an US version instead of buying a bad european version...

Battlefront will have to take care a lot about this problem of european distribution. The hard core gamers do not pay any attention to these drawbacks, but think about the new players...

Appui-Feu

Originally posted by laxx:

good news: CMBB in mass retail stores

bad news: cmbb illegally in mass retail stores

worse news: another wave of young newbie whiners gonna flood this forum soon. "Where's the Power Upgrade ?" "What do mean, my troops has only one life ?" "Where's the Horse Mod ?"

We were all young newbie whiners once, it's just some of us were doing it 30 years ago smile.gif .

When CMBO came out it got great reviews,but when ever I went to Battlefront.com it was "sold out"! I got tired of trying to get the game and gave up after a few months!(my loss). Over the years I have bought hard to find games from "Chips And Bits" mail order, so when I was shopping at their website a month ago my jaw dropped when I saw CMBB! I ordered it ,and have been playing for weeks. For me, I'm glad I was able to purchase this great game from CDV. CDV also sent me the 65 meg patch on a CD from Germany! As far as retail stores having the game......more power to them, as long as Big Time Software gets the profits and the recognition it deserves,although as other post's have stated....the CM games are for hardcore wargamers ,and there will be disapointed buyers who thought they were getting another WW2 "Video" game! If CDV is doing this illegally then they should be prosecuted,but for guys like me who had problems getting CMBO in the first place, I was happy to finally be able to enjoy this great wargame,and get 2 of my buddies to purchase CMBB also! My wife got CMBO from Battlefront for my Christmas gift this year so......I'm a happy camper now!

The only issue I have with it being on retail shelves is the fact that it will be sans printed manual. Having a manual included is a welcome change from the rest of the titles out there (see, e.g. Uncommon Valor - a great game that has gone through one $80 toner cartrage). With the current situation at BFC, how are these people to get a printed manual?

I would loved to have been able to go to Fry's or CompUSA to get a copy to satisfy my instant gratification urges.

I don't think the comments concerning "Little Timmy gets CMBB and hates it" is really a Battlefront.com specific item. It happens for everyone, and it's just the business. No real harm, IMO. I have any number of games I got for Xmas that I don't play.

I mean, you can pick up Falcon 4.0 at your local Best Buy, and I'm SURE that people have gotten this game from a parent who thought it was Ace Combat 5. "Dad, what is Doppler beam sharpening on an APG-68?"

Originally posted by Panzertruppe:

The CDV copy of CMBB has a 88 page manual that at least gets you started on playing. If you send in the cover of the CDV manual and 10 dollars CDV will send you the full manual. Kind of a "gyp" but it is an option?........another example of "Corporate America" I guess.

Corporate America? Corporate Germany is more like it.

My concern is threefold. First, the aforementioned confusion about which patch to download, etc., etc.

Second, BFC might sell more copies, but I would suspect their profit margin will be substantially smaller because it is sold through CDV rather than off the website.

Third, I think mass-marketing the game is not necessarily a good idea because of it's niche appeal AND because "good game" + "mass market" = "certain to be pirated on the newsgroups".

Steve

Frunze,

Conceivably, if BFC is getting its cut of every copy CDV sells regardless, they might not be too upset about it.
Oh... trust me... we are upset. Every direct sale we lose to local retail is worth a LOT more than the royalties we get from a single CDV copy. So yeah, we get something for each illegal copy sold outside of Europe, but in theory we lose many times that for lack of a direct sale. Obviously not everybody buying a copy in CompUSA would buy from us directly, but 1:1 ratio is not the point.

I mean, they don't have a U.S. retail-distribution deal more 'cause they haven't been offered a deal they're happy with than because they have some objection in principle to the game being on store shelves in the U.S., right?
Nah, retail has been trying to get its mits on CM for years. We haven't done any such deal because it probably would be the death of us. Retail is a very dangerous place for someone like us to be. And if we wanted full coverage in North America we could sign an addendum to our contract with CDV in a day and make it so. But they know we would never do that so they have never asked for such a deal.

Panzertruppe

The CDV copy of CMBB has a 88 page manual that at least gets you started on playing. If you send in the cover of the CDV manual and 10 dollars CDV will send you the full manual. Kind of a "gyp" but it is an option?........another example of "Corporate America" I guess.
Correction... CDV doesn't have full printed manuals. Only we do. The offer is that any European can purchase a full manual from us at COST. We make $0 from this deal since $10 covers cost of goods, order processing, shipping, and handling. If "Corporate America" was more like us the world would be a happier place smile.gif

BTW, to restate for the newbies... CDV had no choice but to produce the small manual. They have to put the product into a DVD box or retail won't touch it. And this is fast becoming the case here in the US. For 99.9% of the games out there this isn't a problem since their documentation is usually only 20-30 pages long. But for a few games, like Combat Mission, even an expanded DVD box is too small.

Steve