Has CDV Violated its Agreement with BFC by Selling CMBB in U.S. Retail Stores?

This afternoon I talked my wife into going to a local software store, CompUSA. I was looking through various titles and saw something called "Combat Mission 2". I picked it up and examined the case. On the back, it was clearly identified as "Combat Mission 2 -- Barbarossa to Berlin", the sequel to Combat Mission. It also had screenshots from CMBB. Upon further examination, I saw that it was distributed by CDV.

I asked the store to check the price for me (there was no price on the CD or the shelf), and it was entered in their system (meaning it came through CompUSA's national distribution warehouse), and retailed for $49.99.

There were three copies at that CompUSA location (Arlington, TX -- Parks Mall vicinity).

Here is a link to the CompUSA inventory/order page. Apparently, Combat Mission 2 is in stock at several different CompUSA locations in the DFW metroplex. I suspect it is in stores across the country.

So, has CDV now acquired the rights to sell CMBB in United States retail stores? I was under the impression that they were strictly limited to European sales. Or have they simply breached their contract with CMBB?

Also, what version IS being sold -- is it one with the European restrictions and copy protection? If so, that might make it terribly confusing for US customers who have purchased the CDV copy, since they might fact technical issues that other customers (who bought directly from CDV) might not.

Steve

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CDV probably sold to a third party who had no clue that an area protection is in effect. A safe bet would be whoever brought it to Canada last month.

At least we don't have second-class citizens anymore, now everybody can have SafeDisk copy protection, 1/3rd manual, Waffelgrenadiere and non-working patch download sites.

Will BFC ship the full printed manual to US addresses now?

Originally posted by redwolf:

Will BFC ship the full printed manual to US addresses now?

Ooohh - good point. The case it was in did not have room enough for a printed manual, so it must be the version with the .pdf manual.

But how will BFC know who in the U.S. is a CDV customer in need of a manual and who is a pirate in need of a manual?

Steve

If you ran into a copy of CM:BB CDV version in some little mom and pop computer shop then I would be like, ehh, litte Grey market stuff nothing you can do about it, well it would not be worth the effort. But to find a CDV version in any major American retailer (CompUSA, SoftwareEtc/Babbages, Wal-Mart, BestBuy) is a serious problem. I sure hope this is a VERY isolated incident. I guess this means WE All need to be on the lookout for CM:BB CDV to give BFC a heads up.

So I guess the people at CompUSA had no idea what Combat Mission was but agreed to put in on their shelves?!?! I don't think so. Either it got bundled with other CDV titles, which would make me wonder why CDV would be going through a 3rd party to sell their products to CompUSA or CDV "accidently" (pun intended) included it in the bundle?!?! Or it was sold from some "3rd" party and someone at CompUSA had to have some "idea" of what it was or it would not have gotten on their shelves. Any way you cut it someone "in the loop" knew this software was not suppose to be sold in the USA.

Get 'em BFC boys!

since I only know one US zip I used it

90210 smile.gif

Combat Mission 2

Manufacturer:

CDV

Mfg Part #:

CDR8038

CompUSA SKU:

CompUSA Price:

$49.99

Product Availability:

Product availability at stores around zip 90210 (Beverly Hills, CA)

Store Information

Distance

Availability

Culver City Superstore

Culver City, CA 90230 (310) 390-9993

8 Miles

In-Stock

Burbank Superstore

Burbank, CA 91502-1024 (818) 848-8588

9 Miles

In-Stock

Woodland Hills Superstore

Woodland Hills, CA 91367 (818) 999-9101

15 Miles

In-Stock

Redondo Beach Superstore

Redondo Beach, CA 90278 (310) 793-9955

16 Miles

In-Stock

Long Beach Superstore

Long Beach, CA 90815 (562) 598-1992

30 Miles

In-Stock

The mileage estimates are "as the crow flies." Your house or office

may be farther from the CompUSA store than the locator estimates.

Pricing and availability information is up-to-date as of 12/22/2002 8:38:37 AM. Listed prices are national prices, and

actual retail prices may vary by market. Products are sold on a first come, first serve basis.

Close

[ December 22, 2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Product Availability:

Product availability at stores around zip 55113 (Saint Paul, MN)

Store Information

Distance

Availability

Roseville Superstore

Roseville, MN 55113-2623 (651) 635- 4000

0 Miles

In-Stock

Bloomington Superstore

Bloomington, MN 55435 (952) 820-8090

16 Miles

In-Stock

Woodbury Superstore

Woodbury, MN 55125 (651) 578-0078

17 Miles

In-Stock

Minnetonka Superstore

Minnetonka, MN 55305 (952) 512-0087

20 Miles

Out-Of-Stock

Des Moines Superstore

Clive, IA 50325 (515) 225-2383

237 Miles

In-Stock

It's everywhere! :eek:

[ December 22, 2002, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

OK

so now the question becomes how many kids are going to get this for Christmas because its handy/available on a shelf, in a MAJOR store and it has a flashy ( :confused: ) cover on the box and then not have a clue what it is.

For those over 40 here do you remember your friends (who didn't have a clue) who got gifts like "The Russian Campaign" or AH's "Afrika Korps" or (the BIG one) ASL or SL for Christmas because some well meaning relative or parent thought this would be a "fun" game because it was a flashy box in a game store sitting there right beside Monopoly??

I know more kids in high school that ended up getting "real" strategy games for Christmas than there were "serious" players that actually played the game. In my highschool there were only a hand ful (like 4 or 5 kids in TOTAL) of "nerds" that actually played those cardboard games like PanzerBlitz and Tactics II and Wooden Ships and Iron Men and (my personal Favourite) Tobruk (small units and single tanks counters and EVERY round was accounted for! for every round fired you had to roll the dice THREE times, Did it hit/Not hit (one Roll) if it hit Where did it hit (Second Roll) once you knew where it hit (third roll) you Rolled AGAIN to determine penetration or damage, AND then if you were lucky you Got ANOTHER roll to determine crew casualities or critical hits!

Anyway, with CMBB now in stores ALL kinds of people might get the Game and not have a CLUE they were just given the VERY best Eastern Front WWII combat simulator available at this time.

Its kind of funny actually smile.gif

Makes me laugh anyway ...

-tom w

[ December 22, 2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Lumbergh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

I am so lucky that I can't read this forum for the two weeks after Christmas smile.gif

This will be a long and bloddy battle. CMBB in US mass retail...

Even as bloody as "The Neverending Story III: The Retreating Ubertank Threads"? tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by Lumbergh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

I am so lucky that I can't read this forum for the two weeks after Christmas smile.gif

This will be a long and bloddy battle. CMBB in US mass retail...

Even as bloody as "The Neverending Story III: The Retreating Ubertank Threads"? tongue.gif </font>

Here in Chicago, same thing.

Product Availability:

Product availability at stores around zip 60618 (Chicago, IL) Store Information Distance Availability

Chicago Superstore

Chicago, IL 60611-2010 (312) 787-6776 7 Miles In-Stock

Skokie Superstore

Skokie, IL 60077 (847) 933-4700 8 Miles In-Stock

Highland Park Superstore

Highland Park, IL 60035 (847) 579-1213 18 Miles In-Stock

Lombard Superstore

Lombard, IL 60148 (630) 620-7402 23 Miles Limited Quantities

Schaumburg Superstore

Schaumburg, IL 60173 (847) 619-1221 25 Miles In-Stock

Nooo Yaaawk in the Hizzouse.

Store Information Distance Availability

Manhattan (5th Ave & 37th) Superstore

New York, NY 10018 (212) 764-6224 2 Miles In-Stock

Manhattan (Broadway & 57th) Superstore

New York, NY 10019 (212) 262-9711 3 Miles In-Stock

Queens Superstore

Rego Park, NY 11374 (718) 793-8663 9 Miles In-Stock

North Paramus Superstore

Paramus, NJ 07652-3522 (201) 612-2777 16 Miles In-Stock

Paramus Superstore

Paramus, NJ 07652 (201) 909-5700 16 Miles In-Stock

Hijacking! Take this thread to Tobruk.

Tobruk didn't have rolls for the damage. There was handy chart that for target that listed its available hit locations and damage by weapon by range. The reason it got called "Dice at Gazala" was because of the ROF of the guns. The dang 2lbers and 37mm each had ROF of like 3/6 (unacquired/acquired). So you'd end up rolling up to 12 times for the full ROF of 6; a second roll for hit location if a hit was scored.

Originally posted by RMC:

Hijacking! Take this thread to Tobruk.

Tobruk didn't have rolls for the damage. There was handy chart that for target that listed its available hit locations and damage by weapon by range. The reason it got called "Dice at Gazala" was because of the ROF of the guns. The dang 2lbers and 37mm each had ROF of like 3/6 (unacquired/acquired). So you'd end up rolling up to 12 times for the full ROF of 6; a second roll for hit location if a hit was scored.

oh I see....

so a Tobruk Grog show up smile.gif

Yeah,.. well ALL I remember is I was ALWAYS played the Allies and Those Damn Pz IIIJ's and the 88's would shread my helpless Grants and Stuarts before they knew what hit them. Oh Yeah it was "Dice at Gazala" alright! Too bad more folks that Play CMBO and CMBB can't appreciate how EASY the virtual dice rolling in the computer makes it now. You had to REALLY want to play a War Game to get into Tobruk. I still have my boxed game here on my book shelf.

smile.gif

AND that game modeled the Dud rate!

GREAT designer notes too!

-tom w

[ December 22, 2002, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I'm glad people get to buy it on store shelves in America. It means more people will learn what the beauty of CM really is.

I'm sad though, that BTS is getting ripped off.

I would be surprised to find out that BFC is actually getting "ripped off". They had to sell the game first to CDV so the deal they Had in Europe must have been a good one, or they would not have signed it. They may in fact be makeing WAY more money through the CDV distribution of the game in the USA then thru any other north american distributor. BFC is NOT a software distribution company as they are software developers so MAYBE CDV is saving them a distribution head ache by selling retail in the US for them??? :confused:

Maybe this one is a Win-Win situation for BFC and CDV???

Maybe not? but I have no clue so this ALL jsut speculation????

but like everyone else here I am curious

-tom w

Guys,

Thanks for the info. We have been working with CDV for a couple of weeks to plug up some holes. Basically, CDV hasn't screwed us over. Just some friendly distributors that say to CDV "only for Europe? Suuuuuuure... no problem!", then they turn around and sell it outside of Europe. This is completely illegal and we are working hard to fix it.

Keep vigalent! We are checking up on all reports we have seen. Hell, we even have a couple of units in hand purchased in the US and Canada with the help of some of you folks.

A little of this was expected. But it is more than we want to tollerate.

Steve