Why was camera rotation changed?

In the demo, rotating the camera around a center point requires that you move the cursor to the top left or right of the screen, while moving it sideways requires that you place the cursor on the lower left and right.

So, is there a way I can change it back to CMBO style where I have to use the shift key to move it left and right, and the whole right and left screen works only for ratation around a point?

I don't like this new setup. :(

That's fine, i guess I have to get used to it. The thing is though, it's more logical for the point rotation to be on the bottom sides of the screen, and the sideways motion to be at the top sides.

Anyway, about those portraits... what I mean is that I don't actually see a face, all I see is the left shoulder and the left part of the helmet, the picture is cut off a great deal. For some reason the picture is huge, that's why it doesn't fit in the portrait slot (for me anyway).

I don't like this new setup. :( [/QB]
Perhaps BFC has come to understand that the Superior Man does not acknowledge the Mouse, but instead follows the Way of the Trackball?

Flick, cursor in upper corner.... flick, cursor is in lower corner, flick cursor is over unit to be selected.

I like the new method.

I think it's probably a transitional arrangement. I expect CM3 will most likely use WASD (forward/back/strafe left/strafe right), with view/aim/shoot controlled by the mouse, like most sensible first-person shooters.

It'll make the Hover Tiger with Big Laser Beam much more responsive

;)

I certainly prefer the CMBB method of rotating the camera. True, at first it seemed peculiar, but now I'm having more difficulties with the CMBO camera rather than the CMBB one...

And I like the new unit portraits too. The trick isn't about showing face. I should think the purpose is to portray the rank of the unit. In this it's successful, the Company HQs, Platoon HQs and Squads all have a different look to them. And the national flag in the background us a neat idea !

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I don't like this new setup. :(

Perhaps BFC has come to understand that the Superior Man does not acknowledge the Mouse, but instead follows the Way of the Trackball?

Flick, cursor in upper corner.... flick, cursor is in lower corner, flick cursor is over unit to be selected.

I like the new method.[/QB]</font>

I'm with you AO. I think it's not unreasonable to request the old CMBO method of scrolling around the map be allowed in the full version using some sort of toggle command. I'm hoping it wouldn't be too hard to programme and will included down the track.

As for your query about the demo, I haven't found a way yet to revert to the old method but I'll keep trying!

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Prinz Eugen:

I certainly prefer the CMBB method of rotating the camera. True, at first it seemed peculiar, but now I'm having more difficulties with the CMBO camera rather than the CMBB one...

And I like the new unit portraits too. The trick isn't about showing face. I should think the purpose is to portray the rank of the unit. In this it's successful, the Company HQs, Platoon HQs and Squads all have a different look to them. And the national flag in the background us a neat idea !

I tend to agree with Prinz Eugen on this one. At first I did not care for the new camera controls, always inadvetantly slipping sideways when I wanted to spin around, but as many of the commentators predicted, after a little while you do get used to it. On the unit pictures I really prefer BFC's non-face approach in CMBB. It always bothered me a little bit in CMBO that you had the same face showing up for each squad or tank which otherwise had its own individual identity, a bit like the attack of the clones.

For CMBO my mouse is programmed to have the camera pan laterally when a button is held down while the cursor is buried in the left or right edge of the screen. This is no longer necessary in CMBB so that now that button is programmed to move the camera from point to point.

[ September 15, 2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: MOREpheenPleeeze ]

You people have me all wrong, I thought the 'shoulder portraits' were a bug in the demo that only I seem to be experiencing, but it turns out that that's what they actually look like. I was just expecting CMBO style portraits because, as you will remember, early CMBB shots actually had a face in the portrait slot.

So, problem solved.

MOREpheenPleeeze, that's a good idea with the mouse, I never thought of it. I take it you went into your mouse properties and assigned 'SHIFT' to the center button press(?). I'll have to try it.

Originally posted by jiggles:

I think it's probably a transitional arrangement. I expect CM3 will most likely use WASD (forward/back/strafe left/strafe right), with view/aim/shoot controlled by the mouse, like most sensible first-person shooters.

Yeah - but then it's a lousey FPS game so I wouln't expect too much!

It'll make the Hover Tiger with Big Laser Beam much more responsive

The Hover-Tiger is in there?? Kewl - what about the hampster power-up for the ubergruppenfokkenshmazinhammer?

It's funny, I really disliked the CMBO approach when it first came out, but I got used to it. When I first used the CMBB approach it threw me, but after a few weeks I preferred it.

Moral: I think a lot of this is a question of getting used to things. Of course if a toggle can be easily programmed, that solves the problem, but we need Charles to advise if that's as simple as it appears.

The thing is though, it's more logical for the point rotation to be on the bottom sides of the screen, and the sideways motion to be at the top sides.
Aha, that makes a helluva lot of sense. That way, people used to the old-hat CMBO way can still do things their way, and you can take advantage of the side to side motion if you just move the mouse cursor up.

Seriously, I do think the WASD approach might not be bad either...

How about figuring out a way to use the scroll wheel as well?

ianc

Just because you can get used to something doesn't necessarily make it better. I still prefer the CMBO method; I think that this would really benefit from a toggle, so people can have it whichever way they like, as there's clearly pretty strong opinions on both sides.

~Sam

Originally posted by ianc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The thing is though, it's more logical for the point rotation to be on the bottom sides of the screen, and the sideways motion to be at the top sides.

Aha, that makes a helluva lot of sense. That way, people used to the old-hat CMBO way can still do things their way, and you can take advantage of the side to side motion if you just move the mouse cursor up.

Seriously, I do think the WASD approach might not be bad either...

How about figuring out a way to use the scroll wheel as well?

ianc</font>

Originally posted by Sitting Duck:

FWIW - I like the new camera movement method. Perhaps the next enhancement will be to enable the mouse wheel to control elevation.

I asked loudly and repeatedly for the mouse wheel zoom in CMBB, to no avail. I believe (don't quote me on this) that the reason it was not included was to make sure the Mac and PC versions have the same functionality.

I hope this feature makes it into a patch, at least. I really think it would add a lot.

Originally posted by lewallen:

Just because you can get used to something doesn't necessarily make it better. I still prefer the CMBO method; I think that this would really benefit from a toggle, so people can have it whichever way they like, as there's clearly pretty strong opinions on both sides.

~Sam

Yes, very well said, and it's such a simple request too. I bet BTS can make a small 1k patch for download right away if they cared to.

This looks like another case of; "If it ain't broke, fix it til' it is."