Comment on battlefront.com website

What have you done to it? I've been away from CM for a looong time, due to lack of free time, so I thought I'd check up on the game and its sequel. But the new site is dreadful! It's far too busy, and there is far too much on screen. My eyes don't know where to look. It reminds me of CMHQ, and I always thought that was badly designed. Please, please portray a more professional image for the company and the games than you are now.

As further explanation as to why this is so important to me..

I've spent the last 3 months job searching, so I've looked at about 1000 company websites. I found a huge difference in quality of web design and presentation, and it always had an effect on my decision to approach each company for work.

Please change what's there!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wadepm:

Please, nothing moving or blinking! I was hoping when Manx moved over to CMHQ he would have some influence, the CombatMissions website is very nice - clean and simple, everything right at your finger tips.<hr></blockquote>

I second that, both on Combat Missions nice design and old-schoolish CMHQ...

Well at least it finally changed a little bit. I think if they would change their pics of CMBO. Maybe included some short movies of exciting action. Maybe better explanations of the game. And show off some of the diffrent mods for the game. So that people can see the graphics are improved over the old stock pics.

I'm sure BTS loses some business because of how their site trys to sell Combat Mission. But its not so bad, most of the lost customers are probably in the younger crowd who would have to ask mom and dad for the credit card anyways. We already have enough of those kids around anyways. smile.gifsmile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Soddball:

I know what you mean. I view the site in 1024x768 and I still get a horizontal scroll bar, which looks dreadful and really ruins it. Maybe some Flash or Fireworks could improve matters.

BTW Stodge, have you looked at the Jaguar website? What do you think?<hr></blockquote>

Actually I'm not hugely impressed by Jaguar's website. I like the idea of the black, as it looks professional with some of the graphics and design that they use, but I don't like the menu buttons. Also I think the news page looks terrible with the boxes.

If they replaced the menu buttons, and changed the news page, I'd like it quite a bit more.

Oh and I trusted Battlefront with my credit card, and I would again. (Linux version?! tongue.gif ). I have a lot of respect for them due to Combat Mission, but they severly need to imrpove their image on the web.

THe current front page is NOT the new design but rather a quick and dirty *patch* to the old site which better allows communication of current news and events which are ongoing.

The horizontal alignment issue was being cuased by a picture that was uploaded just the other day, it has been fixed, the page should no longer scroll to the side.

Interesting feedback though as when the new page was done two weeks ago the initial comments were quite positive pretty much across the board, but it is far from done.

We are actively working on a new site design with people that do this stuff for a living. Its not cheap, and takes time to get right but we are aware of what a companies web persona means.

Then again, you all bought from us... ;)

Madmatt

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Madmatt ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MSBoxer:

Jeez Matt if ya wanted a new website why not just ask. There are several of us that do web design and I for one would have done it for free, well maybe in exchange for an advance copy of CMBB.

What do ya think guys?<hr></blockquote>

I think they should've hired me for a fee. I need the work!

(the sound of my head being pounded into the keyboard)....ARRRRRGGGG!!!

Okay, okay, let me see....you are not complaining about a hideous bug that causes the game to crash or maybe even delete part of your harddrive( anyone say Pool of Radiance??) And we're not talking about a half finished pile of dreck with all the play value of a root canal(hmmmm....Squad Leader anyone) You are complaining about what the freekin webpage looks like! Oh my, do you ever have time on your hands :D

Posted by Thumpre

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> (the sound of my head being pounded into the keyboard)....ARRRRRGGGG!!!

Okay, okay, let me see....you are not complaining about a hideous bug that causes the game to crash or maybe even delete part of your harddrive( anyone say Pool of Radiance??) And we're not talking about a half finished pile of dreck with all the play value of a root canal(hmmmm....Squad Leader anyone) You are complaining about what the freekin webpage looks like! Oh my, do you ever have time on your hands

<hr></blockquote>

Not a complaint, just an observation. I'm not going to tell Battlefront their job - what I will say is that the appearance of quality and the presentation of that is crucial to selling. There's no way to tell how many people were discouraged by a website which is functional but not attractive. If Battlefront had mentioned it on the site, they would, I'm sure, have had a number of offers for web site development or assistance, but they must feel that it isn't necessary - presumably they have something up their capacious sleeves ;)

aka_tom_w said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Some one say Web page design?

This site for a company that Designs Websites recently came to my attention.

I was SO BLOWN away by this design that I thought I would share it here with you folks....

http://monoedge.com/entrance_net.htm

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

But its not so bad, most of the lost customers are probably in the younger crowd who would have to ask mom and dad for the credit card anyways. We already have enough of those kids around anyways. smile.gifsmile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Hehe, why do old people think that kids/teens only want super good graphics? And hay I did that, asking for the credit card I mean. tongue.gif Kids to get them to buy it just repay them after they get the bill, its just that simple.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Panzerman ]</p>

I'm not complaining. Just observing that some people who like eye candy might not buy the game if they can't get past how the BTS homepage looks. I don't give a flying cat crap.

But I will complain that BTS could do better describing their flagship game and selling it to someone who knows nothing of the game.

I don't think they need to spend a lot of money on some "professionals" when they have Manx at their fingertips.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Some one say Web page design?

This site for a company that Designs Websites recently came to my attention.

I was SO BLOWN away by this design that I thought I would share it here with you folks....

http://monoedge.com/entrance_net.htm

Check it out! smile.gif

-tom w<hr></blockquote>

Spectacularly unimpressive. There is nothing worse than waiting for Flash or Shockwave crap to load, especially if it doesn't even tell you what the web page is about.

Well, there is one thing worse - and this is waiting for some crappy MIDI file to load and assault you with cheesy music, especially if it is a home page that you have to click back and forth to/from in order to navigate the entire site.

I agree with Michael; fancy but a waste of my time. Completely useless - I have a rule that it shouldn't take more than 3 clicks to find the info I need. I don't know if this actually works, as I haven't quantified it, but that website was painful!