Tiger immobilised by .50 cal

It was a bit of a shock, I can tell you. I'd started the first mission on the Villiers-Bocage campaign, playing as Axis.

The first 5 minutes are usually a game of Shoot The Lonely Tommy, but today - :eek:

I targetted the tiger's guns, I ran the first turn.

On second one .50 cal fire from a M5A1 halftrack immobilised Wittman's Tiger - range 264 metres.

On second two .50 cal fire from another halftrack - range 300m - killed Wittman.

Ouch.

Well, I have the footage if you peeps doubt my word, but - what a shocker!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Soddball:

On second two .50 cal fire from another halftrack - range 300m - killed Wittman.<hr></blockquote>

what exactly do you mean by that?

did the .50cal

a) knock out the tank

B) lead to abandonment of the tank

c) kill one of the crewmembers of the unbuttoned crew

d) kill all the crewmembers after a) or B) occured

??

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StellarRat:

Doesn't surprise me. I have seen footage of .50's in action. They quickly mow down large trees, tear apart brick buildings and destroy wood bunkers.<hr></blockquote>

But can they hit a "hummingbird on crack"? What a great line, I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of that one!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Immobilized. A burst of .50's has enough juice to cut tank tracks, I guess.

Losing the TC is actually quite a bit of bad luck as they have reaction times faster than hummingbirds on crack.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

I would say the ALLIES got Very lucky with the Tiger immbolization as well.

I know that .50 cal HMG has armour piercing rounds and in this game it is VERY deadly, but I have NEVER witnessed a .50 cal HMG immobolize a Tiger :confused:

never seen it

I've been playing since the Beta Demo and that one is news to me

but it doesn't really surprise me.

Nothing that .50 cal HMG does surprises me anymore

the damn thing has AWESOME firepower.

Its REALLY to bad we never got that Quad .50 cal Half Track the Allies had. Can you imagine the fire power coming out of 4 .50 cals all blazing away at the same time!!! :cool:

-tom w

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I would say the ALLIES got Very lucky with the Tiger immbolization as well.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, there's a lot of luck involved. But when it happens it can be sooo sweet! smile.gif I once had a T8 Recon car reversing away from a Panther targeting it. The Panther was moving full speed laterally across the T8's field of view. The T8 fired one burst from its M2 and immobilized the Panther. The Panther was 970m away at the time!

You gotta love it. Unless it happens to you, of course. ;)

- Chris

Well, it's nice that it can happen, but it is also cool that it's a very, very rare occurance.

I've killed many HT's, Hummels and Hetzers with .50's but never anything bigger than that.

I still think that .50's should be more effective against light buildings and wooden bunkers though, at least to the point of reducing their cover factor for the people inside.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>aka_tom_w:

Its REALLY to bad we never got that Quad .50 cal Half Track the Allies had. Can you imagine the fire power coming out of 4 .50 cals all blazing away at the same time!!! :cool:

-tom w<hr></blockquote>

That's one more thing to look forward to when CM comes back west!

Sodball,

If you were playing VillersBocage, there were Brits & no Amis. Brits (as far as I know) don't have 50 cals. Maybe those 303s (I think that they are 303 cal & not 50 cal) wacked poor Wittmann. Bad boy, unlucky boy. :eek: :eek: :eek: tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

I still think that .50's should be more effective against light buildings and wooden bunkers though, at least to the point of reducing their cover factor for the people inside.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

That's something that surprises me with CM. The .50 doesn't do as much damage as I would think.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> If any of you saw Waterworld with Kevin Coster you would have seen a makeshift quad .50 cal setup. Even though it is just a movie it is pretty cool to see him open up on that floatin shanty town. Funny as hell. <hr></blockquote>

Of course, since that was Hollywood, I doubt that they used actual .50 caliber rounds for that. Normally blanks are fired from the guns and squibs are used for showing where the bullets hit. (Squibs are small explosive packets -- or in this case maybe not so small ;) ). One big advantage of squibs is that it doesn't matter how good the actors are at aiming.

My take on the 0.50 caliber is that it is perhaps a bit too effective against troops in the open or with minimal cover, and maybe not as effective as it should be against those in good cover.

That is likely to be the effect of having anti-personnell firepower reduced to a single number. I'm not sure, but I expect that the firepower numbers are based to some extent at least on weight of fire. A gun with heavier rounds would get a weight of fire bonus, but unless there is some armor or cover involved, it may just be overkill relative to rifle caliber weapons.

For troops in the open, I would expect that .30 caliber bullets would be almost as deadly as .50 ones if they hit. And since the rate of fire is a bit higher for the lighter MGs, I would expect the chance of getting hit to be higher.

On the other hand, being in a building should afford less protection against the heavier rounds.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

In a hotseat game against PeterNZ about a year ago, I had a scout car take out a wooden bunker with a few bursts of .50.

Although for what it's worth, the driver of the scout car was a certain Corporal Moylan ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> By tar: My take on the 0.50 caliber is that it is perhaps a bit too effective against troops in the open or with minimal cover, and maybe not as effective as it should be against those in good cover.

That is likely to be the effect of having anti-personnell firepower reduced to a single number. I'm not sure, but I expect that the firepower numbers are based to some extent at least on weight of fire. A gun with heavier rounds would get a weight of fire bonus, but unless there is some armor or cover involved, it may just be overkill relative to rifle caliber weapons.

For troops in the open, I would expect that .30 caliber bullets would be almost as deadly as .50 ones if they hit. And since the rate of fire is a bit higher for the lighter MGs, I would expect the chance of getting hit to be higher.

On the other hand, being in a building should afford less protection against the heavier rounds. <hr></blockquote>

Tar, I mostly agree with you comments, esp. the effect of .50's in CM being reverse the real life norm, with .50's having a lesser impact on troops in the open.

Having fired thousands of .50 cal rounds at various types of targets, I was pretty disappointed at it's performance in CM, a couple of .50's should be able to dismantle a small light building in CM in 4 to 6 turns, not to mention trees.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> By Chupacabra In a hotseat game against PeterNZ about a year ago, I had a scout car take out a wooden bunker with a few bursts of .50.

Although for what it's worth, the driver of the scout car was a certain Corporal Moylan <hr></blockquote>

Hehe, it's the hidden CM cheat...Make sure at least one of your troops is in the BTS payroll. ;)

Gyrene

Believe it or not, I had the same thing happen to me in the same battle. Within the first two turns of a battle of villiers bocage, a halftrack sprayed wittman with .50 fire and immobilized him. Ever since then I've made it a point to target unbuttoned tanks with .50 cal weapons in the hope of getting an immobilization on my opponent.