Why I Will Not be Playing CMBO...(Large Pictures Inside)

Why I will not be playing CMBO once I get CMBB. A pictorial.

Shot one: A Panther targets a Chirchill Crocodile, while a Sherman hides behind a building having been spooked by the Panther. Meanwhile, a bren carrier races across a field to the Panthers left:

Panthera.jpg

18 Seconds latter: dead Churchill:

Pantherb.jpg

Now, in spite of the fact a known threat is just out of targeting reach, the Panther starts trying to collect tin cans even as the Sherman starts moving into view:

Pantherc.jpg

The Panther fixates on the carrier, even as the Sherman comes into view and targets the Sherman:

Pantherd.jpg

Result: One dead Panther

Panthere.jpg

Normaly I play quick battles and don't have this problem very much, but in scenarios where force composition, placements, and reinforcements can be dictated by the designer such situations can be impossible to avoid.

The new covered arc comand in CMBB is a godsend, and it alone makes playing CMBB over CMBO a no-brainer for me.

P.S. Does anyone know a program to get GOOD quality screenshots? In spite of my best efforts, these are sub par.

Originally posted by Diceman:

Why I will not be playing CMBO once I get CMBB. A pictorial.

Normaly I play quick battles and don't have this problem very much, but in scenarios where force composition, placements, and reinforcements can be dictated by the designer such situations can be impossible to avoid.

The new covered arc comand in CMBB is a godsend, and it alone makes playing CMBB over CMBO a no-brainer for me.

P.S. Does anyone know a program to get GOOD quality screenshots? In spite of my best efforts, these are sub par.

Well spoken, Dice and I agree totally.

For screen shots, I used Paint Shop Pro by Jasc, or something like that and they have a web publishing program which you can also download and use for free for a time...

http://www.jasc.com/

I am sure there might be better ones out there. I am not professional screen shot taker or anything...

Hey, looks like bad generalship on your part to get flanked by an anti-tank weapon! Wha'ts that old saying "A bad craftsman blames his tools." ;)

I hate to say it, but I may have to delete CMBO from my old G3 mac simply to make room for CMBB! The Battlefront main site says minimum requirements: 1.2 gigs free HD space. If you start factoring in the upcoming modes CMBB and CMBO combined would DOMINATE my hard drive. Not everybody has a 40 gig hard drive.

[ September 06, 2002, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

[QB]Hey, looks like bad generalship on your part to get flanked by an anti-tank weapon! Wha'ts that old saying "A bad craftsman blames his tools." ;)

Point well taken, ;) however, that's the problem. I'm not outflanked. The carrier and passenger won't survive the next two minutes, Panther or no Panther. They'll go the way of the squad of engineers just outside the screenshots.

CMBB's covered arc commands will allow for a much more organized, disciplined, and intelligent defense.

maybe you should have dropped smoke in front of you to give some brief protection against the sherman and then dealt with the Bren and the PIAT?

Or you could have withdrawn to a better position using the smoke to hide from the most dangerous threat, the Sherman...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Terence:

What grass mod are you using?

I give up. :confused: Who created dflowresgrid.zip? There's no accompanying readme, and I don't remember where I got it from.</font>

I agree with you to a point.

The covered arc/armor is going to help keep the Panther looking ahead. But then you might get whacked by the PIAT team, or who knows what else. With the extreme FOW setting you might not even know about the PIAT team at your Panther's flank and for sure get it in the side.

In this particular case, the carrier popped up on the map as a reinforcement the turn before this one, and I was pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm a big fan of CMBO, and under most circumstances, I avoid this problem; however it's a real frustration when it happens.

I was wishing for the covered arc command real bad when I plotted that turn, and I don't much care for wishin' when I can have the real thing. It's kind of like wishin' for a glass of cold water on a hot summer's day, when the fridgerator is just inside the door. We'll just have to see how hot it gets before BFC revisits the western front.

CMBO is IMHO the best Western Front tactical wargame out there, but I see so much potential with the improvements in CMBB, I'm just flabergasted.

About your little situation.

You mention that the sherman had to move up to get into firing position, which tells me that it wasn't in view of the Panther. No wonder that the Panther chose the Bren to target, it was the biggest threat with that Piat about to punch its side armor. Then the Sherman comes into view and fires and kills yours Panther. It all seems perfectly logical to me.

The cover Arc command might have helped you kill the Sherman but the Piat would have had several free shots at the side of your Panther, it most likely wouldn't have survived anyway.

Originally posted by Pak40:

About your little situation.

You mention that the sherman had to move up to get into firing position, which tells me that it wasn't in view of the Panther. No wonder that the Panther chose the Bren to target, it was the biggest threat with that Piat about to punch its side armor. Then the Sherman comes into view and fires and kills yours Panther. It all seems perfectly logical to me.

The cover Arc command might have helped you kill the Sherman but the Piat would have had several free shots at the side of your Panther, it most likely wouldn't have survived anyway.

who cares, let the Nazi scum fry!

;)

I used to play with screenshots quite a bit a found hypersnap to be extreemely useful. You used to be able to get a free version with limited capability, not sure how they have it set up now http://www.hyperionics.com/

The cool thing about hypersnap is how you can use it to take a gazillion screens at one time to sift through later.

Jeez...Diceman, you're lucky. At least it wasn't the infamous SMG half-squad, or, the routed squad of legend...I remember seeing those screens..If you're not farmiliar with the story: Some guy had a very similar SS portfolio that showed a firefly turning to engage a routed squad with a Panther in full view, and similar result..ouch

[ September 07, 2002, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: mch ]