CMAK Named Turn Based Strategy Game of the Year in March 2004 PC Gamer Magazine!!!!!

Madmatt

We old-timers (playing since the the CMBO demo first showed up) sometimes tend to forget without CM we'd be mighty hard-pressed to find historically accurate true-scale 3-D Battalion-size combat simulations to play.

So you spent last night playing a running combined arms battle on an 8 sq km map... in a sandstorm? CM has succeded in making the extraordinary commonplace!

[ February 02, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I'm not surprised! :D I want to also point out that while the series has had some refinements to the engine and some brilliant mods brought in by the community, this is a game that is four years old and still holding the heavyweight belt. Think about what game engines/graphics were the hot ticket in '99 compared with today, and CM is still knocking them outa the ring. I consider that the real evidence of vision, talent, and genius.

Thanks and Congrats BFC! ;)

These accolades are well deserved!!!!

Your hard work and dedication to the CM community, and your efforts to constantly enhance this fine game is appreciated by all.

It's always great to be recognized by your industry, especially with all the BS you get from us all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Talent/merit. There's no substitute for it. Sooner or later talent/merit will cut through the existing wargaming hogwash to shine like a diamond in its brilliance.

A gem of a company. In fact, in South Africa BFC would have been recognized rather as a "close corporation" given the quantity of members.

BFC: The forerunners of the wargaming revolution. I salute you with a decent Methode Cap Classique.

Prost!

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

• 2 weeks later...

Bah. I was kind of hoping that Korsun Pocket would win that award. Not that I have anything against the CM series of course. But it is basically just a second expansion.

Korsun Pocket on the other hand, really revitalized the old school wargaming (IMHO)

Originally posted by Member # 4691:

Bah. I was kind of hoping that Korsun Pocket would win that award. Not that I have anything against the CM series of course. But it is basically just a second expansion.

Korsun Pocket on the other hand, really revitalized the old school wargaming (IMHO)

Erm, wouldn't KP be in the same boat as CMAK then? After all, KP is basically just a second installment of TAO.

Regards

JonS

P.S. Congrats BFC. Bugs and niggles, its still a great series ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by mikeadams:

Ah well; when I can play it on my Mac I am sure it will be great

Well, I agree with you. But I bought my 'being retired because it no longer matters' G4 because it both catapulted me into the 21st Macintosh century, and it could also still play CM. It was a dual boot machine, that would allow me to play both OS X and OS 9 games (like CM). But I found that I couldn't play CM because of issues with the ATI oem video card.

This, actually, made me extremely angry. There were moments of fulminating angst, viciousness, and almost psychotic anger. I eventually had to pull my old PCI ATI card out of my previous G3 in order to play CM on my new computer.

For a while, I was at a loss. Should I blame Battlefront for not being in a position to completely reprogram because Apple suddenly, and without any Developer notification, chose to stop supporting the RAVE format (which almost amounted to ceasing to support their 'proprietary' format)? Or should I blame Apple for the fecking horribly arrogant and commercially erudite move of swapping to another graphics card format? Or should I blame ATI for how their drivers for the goddamn oem Radeon card included in the G4 turned every CM game into a psychedelic nightmare?

And then it struck me. I could curse God, Apple, Battlefront, and ATI...but it would be so much more satisfying to curse... Grog Dorosh.

That...bastard! That absolute, useless, Labatt's drinking waste of Canadian genetic material!

After I learned to curse Dorosh, life got a bit easier, a bit less stressful.

Mind, I'm not sure I'll be able to continue to curse Grog Dorosh for everything that ever comes up in my life. But I'm hopeful.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Now that that's out of the way, why aren't you writing the Great American Novel?

Michael

We're still negotiating on my fee for editing it. No great American enterprise (no pun intended) has ever gone forward without a Canadian helping to guide it. Star Trek, the National Hockey League, the Better Crocker Bake Off...the mind boggles.