Mac dilemma.

Gyrene

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dook:

Opening myself up for ridicule, but here it goes. I am still running OS 8.6! on a 350 mhz G3 and haven't had any problems thus far. Of course, I had been playing CMBO exclusively until a few weeks ago when I purchased CMBB. CMBB runs fine, althought it loads more slowly than CMBO and I suspect the graphics are downsampled.

Understandably, I'm contemplating a new computer purchase soon. I may try to get a dual boot G4 in order to continue playing CM.

I know what that's like. I was on a G3 300mhz till this spring... it was painful. I got a nice dual boot G4 400mhz and CMBB works great, other than huge battles.

Has anyone tried running CMBB by using Virtual PC for the mac in OS X?

I don't know if my laptop will make it much longer. If it dies before CMAK comes out, well, Battlefront loses....Buying "old" technology is kind of silly to me. It is a real pity that the "old" engine will not work in X or even classic mode. Anyway, I really am looking forward to the new engine. Will the new engine take advantage of the dual processors in the new macs?

CMBB (unless you have the windows version) wont work in VP. Anyway as far as I know VP cannot use 3D rendering from a video card. Since CMBB runs in a min of 800 x 600 IIRC, then you cannot use software rendering like you could with CMBO.

[ October 27, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Panzerman:

CMBB (unless you have the windows version) wont work in VP. Anyway as far as I know VP cannot use 3D rendering from a video card. Since CMBB runs in a min of 800 x 600 IIRC, then you cannot use software rendering like you could with CMBO.

Yup tried it with VPC 3.00 and CMBO - a complete no go for the lack of video card 3D reason stated above.

Also:MacFixit - Monday, October 27 2003

Mac OS 9 booting apparently gone from new eMacs, iBooks

"Until last week, the eMac and iBook lines were Apple's last actively updated systems to maintain Mac OS 9 booting. With the new models shipping, it now appears that only a $1,299-base Power Mac G4, available through the online Apple store, will retain Mac OS 9 startup capabilities."

:rolleyes: Errr, If I had to buy the PC version of CMAK but it worked a new mac, I would be happy. This *might* get around the whole issue of OSX and the new macs.

I think that VPC version 6 (as in the current one) supports 3d cards. Don't have it to try it, but the specifications on the box recommend certain video cards.

Doesn't say what games but doesn't look to promising,

Microsoft Virtual PC discussion board

">I run VPC 6.1 on a 17² IMAC with the Super drive(756MB Ram 1G Mhz processor) and you would never be able to play any games on it.....it runs about the equivalent of a 60Mhz PC.

It is only good to run a few apps that you cant use on your MAC.....but it VERY SLOW!!<"

Can't see anything related to 3D peformance explicitly

And to date it doesn't work on G5's

edit: In contradiction to the above:

"> Can I run Microsoft Flight Simulator with virtual PC ?

As long as it doesn't require a PC graphics card beyond the emulated card in VPC, Flight Simulator should work- though it may not perform as speedily as you would desire. It's basically a game, and complex gaming software does perform well in VPC.<"

This seems to confirm the false hope

>"Again - we're back to the same old issue - people thinking that VPC can be used for more than running stuff that's not available on the Mac.

Just to sort out the issue here - Virtual PC *DOESN'T* share your graphics card memory, the 'video Ram' you are refering to in VPC is actually your iMac's memory.

So...say you're running Windows 2000 and you've set 128MB's of memory aside for VPC, perhaps a 4MB virtual graphics card, that's 132MB's of your iMac's RAM, add on the over head of VPC itself - which is about 6-10MB's (from my experience) that's about 150MB's of iMac RAM.

Upping the Video RAM on VPC would only push up Cirtual PC's memory requirements.

Also - you're thinking that VPC also emulates your iMac's graphics card - it doesn't, right click on the desktop in Windows go to properties, click Advanced, then click adapter. In here you'll see that actually the graphics card that VPC emulates is an S3 Trio 32/64, NOT a GeForce 5200.">

[ October 27, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

But wait -- I thought Macs were so much better than PCs. Why do you have to buy a PC to play the game?

I mean, my PC plays modern games as well as ones from four years ago.

And five minutes to boot into the operating system? I get frustrated if my PC takes more than about 30 seconds.

Sheesh.

Ducks out laughing.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

And five minutes to boot into the operating system? I get frustrated if my PC takes more than about 30 seconds.

Steve

It has to shut down one OS and switch to another that takes time. Not to meantion that OS9x takes forever to get started vs. OSX. I said 5 minutes, more like one and half, but who is really checking?

[ October 27, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Being that you have to constantly reboot Windows for all the crashes, patches, worms, viruses and spyware, it's a good thing they reboot fast.

It's not an issue, because the PC is just a toy and is not used for anything serious after all.

Gyrene

If It helps I KNOW for a fact that Virtual PC on even the FASTEST MAC WON'T run panzer elite. I KNOW because I tried in vain and contacted the VPC tech support help desk and was told VERY clearly by one of the lead developers that VPC was not EVER designed or intended for use with any 3D graphically INTENSE video game. "It will NEVER Work!" end of Story!

So Since I own PE (Gold Edition) and don't own a PC perhaps I should get a CHEAP PC for CMAK and PE,..... hm....

Yeah thats the ticket!

-tom w

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My OS8.5 G3's only 300mhz!

By the way, the CMAK Beta runs like a dream -- even on my pokey litle machine. As for downsampling, ever since CMBO I've simply learned to live with it. [/quote

Two bits of good news in a single post.

First, someone has a machine even more obsolete than my own. :D

Second, I should be able to run CMAK, provided that ominous clicking sound from my hard drive doesn't portend a meltdown. Already working on scenario design - if you send me a copy of the beta I could have one ready for the release date. ;)

Originally posted by Gyrene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Being that you have to constantly reboot Windows for all the crashes, patches, worms, viruses and spyware, it's a good thing they reboot fast.

It's not an issue, because the PC is just a toy and is not used for anything serious after all.

Gyrene </font>

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gyrene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Gyrene </font>

I thought about mentioning XP's stability (I haven't had any crashes since switching, and, like you, rebootabout once a week or so), but didn't want to rub in the point.

Wouldn't be much of a rub since OSX never crashes either. I cannot say I have had any problems that I haven't brought on by my own blunders. As for the software for bug protection etc, why pay hundreds of dollars when you don't have to? That just doesn't make much sense to me. OSX for example has a built in firewall and bug protection you don't need to by programs because its already there.

[OSX for example has a built in firewall and bug protection you don't need to by programs because its already there.

I daresay you would indeed need to buy such if Mac's market share was larger. smile.gif

But in fairness I was not commenting on Mac stability, only countering Gyrene's implication that ALL Windows OSes are unstable. Certainly that was true up through 98, which had horrible memory leak issues (at least in my experience). But since switching to XP my system's been purring along without a hitch. My Win2K system is also very stable but it's my work PC so it doesn't get the longevity tests that my home PC does (I hate having that one up and running when it's after 6pm).

-dale

Originally posted by Dook:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

My OS8.5 G3's only 300mhz!

By the way, the CMAK Beta runs like a dream -- even on my pokey litle machine. As for downsampling, ever since CMBO I've simply learned to live with it.

Two bits of good news in a single post.

First, someone has a machine even more obsolete than my own. :D

Second, I should be able to run CMAK, provided that ominous clicking sound from my hard drive doesn't portend a meltdown. Already working on scenario design - if you send me a copy of the beta I could have one ready for the release date. ;) </font>