Mac dilemma.

Gyrene

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Windows stablity has rarely been windows itself.

Crashes, at least in my experience, almost always come from three sources:

1) lousy drivers, badly programmed drivers which corrupt the OS, leave hardware in unusable software state requiring a reboot to get that hardware piece back into business, leak memory or the like

2) applications using low-level accesses which old Windows versions allowed to be compatible with older applications and which is now forbidden in newer Windows variants

3) broken hardware, starting with heat problems, bad memory, undertested overclocking, one of the charges of plain broken AMD CPUs and some bad mainboard chipsets.

In particular the last point cannot be underestimated. People who are happy with Windows on their main computers are most likely also too stupid/lazy/ignorant to bother getting good hardware :cool:

Having said all that, Windows 98 and 98 SE (don't know about ME) were particulary lousy and crashed for me way more often than Windows 95, with the same hardware, drivers and applications. But Windows 98 had a lot of other (non-crashing) bugs fixed and was required for many games.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dook:

...I suspect the graphics are downsampled.

You're right. We ran some comparison tests sometime around the beginning of the year that conclusively showed that graphics are consistently downsampled on all Macs, although some cards did better than others.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

[OSX for example has a built in firewall and bug protection you don't need to by programs because its already there.

I daresay you would indeed need to buy such if Mac's market share was larger. smile.gif

But in fairness I was not commenting on Mac stability, only countering Gyrene's implication that ALL Windows OSes are unstable. Certainly that was true up through 98, which had horrible memory leak issues (at least in my experience). But since switching to XP my system's been purring along without a hitch. My Win2K system is also very stable but it's my work PC so it doesn't get the longevity tests that my home PC does (I hate having that one up and running when it's after 6pm).

-dale </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

Well, I think the kind of good news here is that I think CMAK was not, or at least not always downsampling on my Radeon 7000, 32MB on the Mac. CMBB did.

That would be nice if it plays on my Ti 4. But I seriously question what BFC could have done to improve the situation, since their line all along has been that it is out of their hands.

Michael