Changes that you have noticed in CMAK

*off topic*

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I like the interface. The "hardwood" look is really cool. The only thing a little cheesy is the radio icon (what I assume the neon green thing below the picture of the squad leader is). How about a little picture of a radio handset instead?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw an enemy tank get hit, manuever (actually zig and zag) closer to some cover, and then the crew bailed out. The tank didn't take any other incoming fire. In CMBB, I don't ever recall seeing a tank move (other than costing to a stop) once the crew decided to bail.

A different thing I saw last night was a tank get hit in the side while moving and slew toward that side before stopping. This suggested to me that the track/running gear/transmission on that side had been damaged. Pretty neat I thought. I was impressed.

:cool:

Michael

Originally posted by Konstantine:

*off topic*

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I like the interface. The "hardwood" look is really cool. The only thing a little cheesy is the radio icon (what I assume the neon green thing below the picture of the squad leader is).

Agreed on all points.

How about a little picture of a radio handset instead?
They tried that in BO. Actually none of those symbols are really appropriate for infantry squads, since they usually weren't equipped with radios. Their platoon leaders generally communicated through shouted orders, whistles, hand signals, runners or whatever. I suggest that a better universal symbol would be the crossed flags of the US Army Signal Corps. Its significance is readily recognized and it looks good. I don't expect BFC to change anything at this point, but somebody might try modding it.

Michael

If you area target a building with a tank, it will keep firing even after the building turns to rubble. In CMBB, the gun stops firing when the building collapses.

I also agree with other observations that EFOW is "foggier." It's harder to locate enemy positions, and easier to lose them once located, than in CMBB. And is it my imagination or is it harder to dig defending units out of trenches and buildings? I'm playing the Italian scenario and have seen German squads stay put after being pounded by Shermans & small arms fire for turn after turn...

I notice that ATGs, when they get pinned, tend to lose the incoming-LOS lines quickly. This is good as it helps them live to shoot another round or two.

I always thought there should be a shoot'n'hide type order. The effect would be the same. I wonder what tweaks have been done to the LOS/Identification. I seem to find that less information is given about enemy units details.

[ November 21, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Tittles ]

Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

I notice that ATGs, when they get pinned, tend to lose the incoming-LOS lines quickly. This is good as it helps them live to shoot another round or two.

I always thought there should be a shoot'n'hide type order. The effect would be the same. I wonder what tweaks have been done to the LOS/Identification. I seem to find that less information is given about enemy units details.

Well, that only applies to play against the AI. A human opponent switches to area fire right away.

Personally I find it bogus that the gun disappears on hide. The human player just bangs with area fire, so you needlessly make the AI weaker. Clock of death - yes, always. Disappering so that the TacAI doesn't shoot on it anymore? No.

Originally posted by shrek:

I also agree with other observations that EFOW is "foggier." It's harder to locate enemy positions, and easier to lose them once located, than in CMBB.

In CMBB, extreme FOW only made identifiction of spotted units more difficult. Maybe they now changed it to also make spotting more difficult. We'll have to wait for an editor for tests.

And is it my imagination or is it harder to dig defending units out of trenches and buildings? I'm playing the Italian scenario and have seen German squads stay put after being pounded by Shermans & small arms fire for turn after turn...

If I'm not mistaken from my single demo play foxholes in open ground now have less exposure than in CMBB/CMBO. If so, three cheers.

What you have seen could also be a reduced tendency to run away instead of just stay and dig deeper whereever you are. Some people wanted to see such a change, that units stay and die (broken, not really fighting) instead of getting shot up while running out of perfectly good cover.

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

Well, that only applies to play against the AI. A human opponent switches to area fire right away.

Personally I find it bogus that the gun disappears on hide. The human player just bangs with area fire, so you needlessly make the AI weaker. Clock of death - yes, always. Disappering so that the TacAI doesn't shoot on it anymore? No. </font>

Originally posted by Caesar:

I suspect that some of the loss of LOS is being caused as much by the dust kicked up by your fire as by the gun crew cowering or hiding. I noticed that when I targetted the M3s with a number of tanks, I kept losing LOS. The only reason I could see for this was the dust.

I agree. I lost sight of a Sherman from less than 40m because of dust. It's actually pretty neat. I believe 'ground shimmer' (what is the proper term?) is also accounted for in the loss of LOS info.

Originally posted by Snarker:

I believe 'ground shimmer' (what is the proper term?)...

Heat haze. I don't know whether BFC owned up to including this or not. Early in the day, which is when this scenario takes place, it wouldn't have much effect anyway, especially at these short ranges. At noon at ranges in excess of 500 meters I would expect it to have some effect.

Michael

Area fire is therefore a gamey human element in the ...engine.

Units given area fire should have a 'scatter' to the aim point and rapidly lose interest in the order if other 'real' threatening targets pop up. The scatter would vary the aim point about the human designated area.

Overall, I feel that less detail about enemy units is being presented. Perhaps its the dust (which is great), but its also teh number of men in a unit, etc.

I never open up my ATG fire unless I have a limited amount of targets. If more than three tanks/SPs can return fire, then I wait. I use ATG like snipers. When push comes to shove, I open up with everything to button all armor up, put out smoke, assault with infantry anti-armor, etc.

Line of Defense (spoiler) shows that a well timed, coordinated combined arms aproach can gut the attackers. Even before the Tiger arrives.

A different thing I saw last night was a tank get hit in the side while moving and slew toward that side before stopping. This suggested to me that the track/running gear/transmission on that side had been damaged. Pretty neat I thought. I was impressed.

:cool:

Michael

I actually saw this exact thing happen for the first time in CMBB just the other night. A T34 was moving full speed trying to get into a valley out of sight of my forces when a shot took it out directly in its left side. As it was slowing down it veered to the left side off the road it was on. I love the vehicle physics in CM, now all we need is rag doll physics for the infantry casualties :D

One thing I've noticed that's different is fires seem to start a lot more quickly and frequently, no doubt due to the high temperature in the desert. In Furhlingswine after about 10 turns there were several patches of brush which had brewed up, and they quickly became full strength fires.

Haoh

I think quite a few of these "new" observatons are just the same in CMBB, but people havent paid attention to it before.

The biggest change : Different penetration values for the same guns in CMAK vs CMBB.

PS! No reason to include spoiler warnings in the post, the whole friggin tread is as nature of it's topic a spoiler!

Originally posted by shrek:

If you area target a building with a tank, it will keep firing even after the building turns to rubble. In CMBB, the gun stops firing when the building collapses.

I also agree with other observations that EFOW is "foggier." It's harder to locate enemy positions, and easier to lose them once located, than in CMBB. And is it my imagination or is it harder to dig defending units out of trenches and buildings? I'm playing the Italian scenario and have seen German squads stay put after being pounded by Shermans & small arms fire for turn after turn...

My MG in the church tower seemed almost immune to small arms fire; killed 20 Amis in a PBEM (which I lost anyway, BUT....) Don't know that it's any different.

I noticed some stuff that isn't different - ie heavy machine gun crews staying with their guns until killed or captured rather than abandoning when down to 1 man...this is minor though...

All in all, a terrific game; can't wait for the full edition. Makes me sorry I bought EYSA, but if the shipping date gets pushed back into 2004 I just may have to spend some more time with it by default...

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Now, the one sound that I tried time and time to replace, but could never find something appropriate, I speak of the bogging sound. Currently its this thick gooey muddy gurgling sound, which I guess is about right, but I never liked it as it has no mechanical component to it, which I think it needs. Maybe I will give it another stab sometime in the future.

Madmatt

How about a sample of Leia asking Han if she should get out and push when the Falcon won't start on Hoth.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

There's something I just noticed for the first time, but it may have been in BB and I just didn't catch it. If you look into the interior of the HTs, there is a detailed instrument panel. Looks like Dan or somebody put in some time on this.

Well, so do they work? Do they display realistic RPMs? Did you make sure the speedmeter matches actual speed modulo historical variances in instruments?

Originally posted by Hurryin Heinz:

Think redwolf meant more along the lines of a death clock for at guns than omni spotting... it fired at you, you know its there, you fire one round, it stops firing, but you fire a few more to be sure of at least a *decent* chance of a known target in the area being silenced. Make sense?

Don't bother explaining anything to Mr "writeonly" Tittles, but yes that is what I meant.

Instead of treating the gun like infantry in that it appears so have sneaked away (which it can't) treat it like a tank, that means the alife gun marker appears for a variable time after its death. That way the TacAI would continue to fire on its own without reverting to player's area fire.

It would also make the computed opponent stronger in the attack, in a realistic way.