Oh The Challenge, My Heart Goes Peng for Thee

MrSpkr

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

People generally ask me if I can play "Far, Far, Away" when I have the pipes out. Can you send me the sheet music to that one? :confused:

You play the pipes? You play the pipes?!

Michael, I have a feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

two strolling figures receding into the rain sparkled fog of an airfield...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

People generally ask me if I can play "Far, Far, Away" when I have the pipes out. Can you send me the sheet music to that one? :confused:

two strolling figures receding into the rain sparkled fog of an airfield... </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font>

Here is an MPEG - sound quality is horrific, but the acoustics in our drill hall were terrible too. This is circa 1989 or so. The second last close up is me (with the red banner on his bagpipes).

Calgary Highlanders Change of Command Parade

2.56 Megs approximately.

As for getting too close - you ever been in the same room with a piper? They don't come with volume control...

[ February 20, 2004, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

A number of years ago I left a job. I mean, of my own volition, not like some of the more recent ones. The manager held a 'going away party' for me in her own home. Everyone I worked with was there, some 15-20 people. I was as beloved by them as I am here, in the Cesspool.

They brought me beer. They brought me delicious appetizers. Many of the women offered to share their bodies with me...

Okay, that last bit was a hideous lie. But several of them hugged me in a suggestive way.

And, as my 'going away present', they'd all chipped in and hired a piper to come that evening and play me several songs. His last name was 'Gilchrist', and he was impressed that I knew it meant 'Servant of Christ' (as in 'Christ's Ghillie).

Be buggered, lad, if I'm intimidated by bagpipes up close in an auditorium or gymnasium. I've had them played 3 feet in front of me in a suburban living room!

And me, beaming, drunk, and moved almost to tears at the thoughtfulness of them all!

After that, I think I was jailed for a time...

[ February 20, 2004, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

That's right, Cowardly Lion! You tell the Tin Man and the Scarecrow that all we need do is make our way to the Emerald City, and when we get there the Wizard will give you some courage, and Dalem a heart, and Lars a brain!

Wow. Just how many mushrooms did you have stuffed in your pipe this time?

Here is an MPEG - sound quality is horrific, but the acoustics in our drill hall were terrible too. This is circa 1989 or so. The second last close up is me (with the red banner on his bagpipes).

2.56 Megs approximately.

As for getting too close - you ever been in the same room with a piper? They don't come with volume control...

At least you all managed to stay in step. Heres a nice collection of pipe music.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

2.56 Megs approximately.

At least you all managed to stay in step. Heres a nice collection of pipe music. </font>

That's right, Cowardly Lion! You tell the Tin Man and the Scarecrow that all we need do is make our way to the Emerald City, and when we get there the Wizard will give you some courage, and Dalem a heart, and Lars a brain!

Wow. That is the nicest thing you've ever said to me. You're giving me credit for having both a heart and a brain?

I think I love you, man.

Papa

Originally posted by The Garden Gnome:

And you shower of useless bastards can call me 'Toto'. If you re-watch that movie, you'll notice that short-legged dog was the only one in the entire film who had a fecking clue as to what was going on.
Is it just me, or is he asking us to start calling him a small dog?

Papa

PS

dalem's animals still like me best. Not sure how treating Seanachai like a diminutive cur will effect the situation. I am of course willing to experiment with it.

Originally posted by Papa Khann:

Originally posted by The Garden Gnome:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />And you shower of useless bastards can call me 'Toto'. If you re-watch that movie, you'll notice that short-legged dog was the only one in the entire film who had a fecking clue as to what was going on.

Is it just me, or is he asking us to start calling him a small dog?

</font>

You know, what with all the time you grundoons spend posting here, maybe one or two of you could see fit to SEND ME A FECKIN' MOVE!!!

Like dalem for instance. He cries and moans for TWO WHOLE WEEKS for me to send him a set-up (he won't send set-ups himself, because the clod has all the decision-making power of a colony of Cherrystone clams, you see.) and so I send him a set up...a very nice set-up, thank you very much, last week and hear nothing more from him.

Oh, sad! Oh, sad indeed are these times in which we inhabit!

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) as a combat vessel carried 48,600 gallons of fresh (remember that figure) water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475

officers and men, 48,600 gallon s of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores, arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November, she set sail for England.

In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchantmen, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, and though unarmed, she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn.

Then she headed home.

The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, No food, No powder, NO rum, NO wine, NO whiskey and 38,600 gallons of stagnant water.

Perhaps Seanachai can still get into the Navy?

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) as a combat vessel carried 48,600 gallons of fresh (remember that figure) water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475

officers and men, 48,600 gallon s of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores, arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November, she set sail for England.

In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchantmen, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, and though unarmed, she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn.

Then she headed home.

The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, No food, No powder, NO rum, NO wine, NO whiskey and 38,600 gallons of stagnant water.

Perhaps Seanachai can still get into the Navy?

She may have been an American ship, but it sounds like the crew were Russian. Mind giving us the source for that info?

v42below