I really do want to play....

I am a quick battle player as I like the randomness (spelt wrong) and the let's try this factor. Of course the quickbattle also makes some mismatched encounters which when on th giving end is a hoot.

However I find that I no longer play at all due to the labour of having to organsise the squads back together. It just takes the life out of the game. Yes I could do it over several nights but I get there and think stuff it :D

Anyway, is there a chance that the next patch could have it so the troops all end up together in neat little groups?

I agree with Blah that this can be a pain in the neck.

Group select isn't the answer, because what you're trying to do is get the squads arranged close to the commander. I guess Group Select helps find the beggars, put you've still got a fair bit of shifting around to do.

But can anyone suggest what a good default arrangemennt for troops would be? If there isn't one, then even if they are close to each other, you're still going to have to rearrange them!

I have to say that I recently opened a scenario (ROW) and all the troops were arranged in clusters with their commanders and I cheered the designer...

GaJ.

[ July 11, 2004, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

Yes I could do it over several nights but I get there and think stuff it :D

How many troops are we talking about? I can take a battalion of scrambled up troops and group the platoons by company in about 10-15 minutes, so its not terribly hard.

I also assume you are talking about reinforcements in a scenario, as in a quick battle, there are none, and, at the start, all your troops are lined up by platoon/company at the back of your setup area. No mess to untangle.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

That's 10-15 minutes that could be spent playing...

sheesh - some days I'm lucky to find 30 mins to play, so that's half the time wasted!

Yeah, but you're only doing the set-up at the beginning of the game.

I don't know... maybe I have too much time on my hands. I really don't mind setting up the guys.

While visiting London, I had the pleasure (misfortune?) to meet Yeknodathon. He asked what everyone's was favorite part of the game. He then confessed to liking the setup the most. He said, "it's like flower arranging for men".

spelt is ok, according to Collins CED. So, you are all wrong - Blah for being right and thinking he was wrong, Den for picking the wrong nit, and GaJ for pick-picking the nit and missing the rightness.

;)

Regards

JonS

oh, and to answer the question: I'd like to see companies laid out by default thusly ( * = section, h = PnHQ, H = CoyHQ, s = support weapon, . = space for formatting):

* . * . *

s . h . s

. . . . .

* . * . *

s . h . s

. . . . .

* . * . *

s . h . s

. . . . .

s . s . s

. . H . .

with approx 5m between units. Enemy board edge toward top of formation, friendly board edge nearest coyhq. For a battalion, the extra companies would be laid out to the right, in the same formation, with the BnHQ and party behind the central company.

I guess the problem, from a programming POV, is that there are loads of different company and battalion orgs, each of which would need a slightly different programmed layout using the above format, and it wouldn't cope well with variations of terrain. The current 'dump-them-all-in-a-single-long-line-with-a-carridge-return-at-the-edge-of-the-map' is annoying to use, but easy to program.

Regards

JonS

[ July 13, 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by JonS:

spelt is ok, according to Collins CED.

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary at www.m-w.com:

Main Entry: spelt

Pronunciation: 'spelt

chiefly British past and past participle of SPELL

Also:

Main Entry: spelt

Pronunciation: 'spelt

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split -- more at SPLIT

: a wheat (Triticum aestivum spelta) with lax spikes and spikelets containing two light red kernels

Spelt is actually one of the most nutritious grains on the planet. smile.gif

Originally posted by JonS:

I'd like to see companies laid out by default thusly ( * = section, h = PnHQ, H = CoyHQ, s = support weapon, . = space for formatting):

* . * . *

s . h . s

. . . . .

* . * . *

s . h . s

. . . . .

* . * . *

s . h . s

. . . . .

s . s . s

. . H . .

with approx 5m between units. Enemy board edge toward top of formation, friendly board edge nearest coyhq. For a battalion, the extra companies would be laid out to the right, in the same formation, with the BnHQ and party behind the central company.

JonS

Damn, I wish I could remember the name of that new medication for dealing with Obsessive/Compulsive behaviour. Might even work on Kiwis.

Just a quick check, but how many times a day are you washing your hands now, Jon?

In any case, I tend to agree with you. The long line of units wrapping the back of the map is somewhat annoying. Of course, if pressed, I will tell others that I only agreed with you as part of your long-term care and counseling process.

Interestingly JonS wants his troops set up just like me.

Even for btn battles on huge maps, it takes only 5 minutes if you do it using "+" to scroll thru units and have the correct setting using the "TAB" key so the view doesn't shift too often.

It helps if the designer offered a unit list (and bought the units so his list corresponds to what is on map) or you remember what you bought.

Hey, I even managed to get approx a Co of Italian Inf on various vehicles and a armored coy in 4 minutes, then had them drop off 1 km further less than 10 minutes later. For a similar German reinforcement I did the same trick in 10 minutes from arrival to deployment, with the first infantry units deploying about 2 km away (on road) 4 turns after entering. It is lots of micro-management... but arranging 20 vehicles in a neat convoy on a single road without having a major traffic jam is really rewarding.... (ok... have to admit there is one traffic jam...) ...

almost as good as winning a PBEM.

Gruß

Joachim