interesting question!

oren_m

Yes, because WW II armies never, ever attacked tanks with hand held weapons, logs, molotov cocktails, landmines or other improvised anti-tank weapons.

you are absolutely correct, and I will add that the semetic good looks of the tank crew would also make them quite popular with the ladies once they had laid waste to 40 million Germans, 80 million Russians, 1 million Canadians, 30 million Americans and 20 million British soldiers.

God only knows where they would get the ammunition from, though.

No. The graphics of CM are only moddable as far as the "Skin." Actual 3D models and unit performance statistics are not moddable. Ergo, no modern AFVs.

I suppose a Merkava would wreak a path of havoc across WWII Europe until it hit Finland, where the Finns be momentarily stymied until they upgraded from toothpicks and pinecones to pool cues and ground nuts. . .

Originally posted by KG_Steiner:

No way. One tank, no matter how great, or not, could not 'wipe' a whole army. Its a simple matter of logistics. It cannot carry enough fuel and ammo. Not to mention, eventually someone would get on top of it. Plus, no one has invented a time machine. Yet.

The fact that no one has invented one "yet" means that no one will ever invent one...otherwise we would have heard about it by now, no?

Originally posted by Melnibone:

Maybe not....the time travellers would obviously utilise memory loss ray guns such that our knowledge of these time machines would be lost.

Take a look at the spam problem today. You mean to say you trust the integrity of the space-time continuum to the same species that sends me 50 "I need your help" emails from the relatives of deposed Nigerian royalty every day? Eventually, some knothead is going to unravel the entire mess by making the existence of same known, and since it never happened, we know that it is not ever going to happen.

Originally posted by oren_m:

First of all, i hope you all know what is the

MERKAVA Mk.4 MBT, if you dont i'll be happy to explain. anyway, i just tought, would it be possible to wipe a whole WW2 army with 1 MERKAVA Mk.4 MBT only....think about it...i think it could be possible.

Oren.

Impressive tank... would really suck to take it back in time to, say, 1940 and have some lone, underpaid, enterprising infantryman take it out.

I noticed in Irak just recently that the great wonders of mordern construction as the best tanks in the world today with that best trained amerikan troops in it are called.....could not at all take a town. So nothing really changed, since towns and cultivated land is what most wars are fought for and about. One needs men for that, that can be pushed around and let be digged in like mise. (vietnam)...Oh, and machines took the Afghan lowland but the country is still not freed in the highlands.

[ September 15, 2004, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

Originally posted by theike:

I noticed in Irak just recently that the great wonders of mordern construction as the best tanks in the world today with that best trained amerikan troops in it are called.....could not at all take a town. So nothing really changed, since towns and cultivated land is what most wars are fought for and about. One needs men for that, that can be pushed around and let be digged in like mise. (vietnam)...Oh, and machines took the Afghan lowland but the country is still not freed in the highlands.

Hey!

i just wanted to tell that the MREKAVA tank is highly effective in urban warfare, and i say it from my own experience, i participated is many operations which involved urban fighting, and i tell you, we gave them hell!!

i hope i'm not offending

any palestinian members

of the forums.

Oren.

Hey!

i just wanted to tell that the MREKAVA tank is highly effective in urban warfare, and i say it from my own experience, i participated is many operations which involved urban fighting, and i tell you, we gave them hell!!

Hang on a minute here. Are you claiming that you are/were a member of the IDF?

In that case I think the Isrealis are seriously turning out some very undertrained and ill informed troops if you genuinely think that one Merkava could take out a whole WW2 army.

i hope i'm not offending

any palestinian members

of the forums.

So you killed lots of Palestinians but you don't want to offend any who might be here?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

A direct hit by a large artillery shell on it's roof could still take it out I should think. A well placed hit from other weapons could still stip it's tracks. A large bomb dropped around or on it may destroy it. A land mine could still blow it's track off. Even if every round of ammo carried killed something...it would run out of ammo long before an Army, let alone a regiment was destroyed. Flamethrowers could still possibly get a kill on it. Getting hit by a number of panzerfausts, 88mm shells, and other shells would if not kill it, smash up it's sensors, perhaps damage the gun, rattle the crew, and of course, strip the tracks.

So....no....1 tank no matter how good wouldn't mean ****.

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

You have to bear in mind that the savvy time traveller keeps quiet whilst living very nicely off the bookies : ) and the stockmarket.

BTW I am dumping MS : )

I tried the bookie thing. Every time I bet a race for a killing, the fix was changed. Next day so had the newspaper report. :mad:

As for the premise of this thread, I'm glad oren isn't serious.

I remember a news article a few months ago where a Merkava (not Mark 4) was destroyed by a large command detonated mine planted in a road. Wouldn't think the Mark IV would be a whole lot better...

BTW saw a Merkava I at the armoured museum in Saumur last week - impressive piece of kit. They also had an operational Panther A and King Tiger. Mmmmmmm, King Tiger......

What about a Apache helicopter in WWII?

I can think of a few battles in witch it would have reacked havoc...

and indeed its not like the Palestinians have anything of match to the Israelian army, for sure they dont even have an army, just some secondhand Russian guns, selfmade bombs, and some poor kids that throw stones. And more so, if your talking about rescent 'urban fighting'? its far from what i would call a warfare, if going in shooting down 3 houses (killing 5 inhabitants in the meanwhile) and not having any recistance at al, but for a few sivilliance that pick up one or two guns...

But that al doesnt matter.

i will pick the Apache Helicopter;)

Dear Mr. ant!

I really was in the IDF, for the matter of fact, i was a gunner in MERKAVA Mk.2B, and i have a friend who got killed while his tank ran over a 100 Kg demo charge which was hidden in the sand dunes.

For all the rest, you're kinda right when you say that it's not a real urban warfare, but there are some places in the occupide west bank and gaza strip, which are real hell, serious fighting in the streets, including regular and home make AT weapons used by the palestinians.

Anyway....today is the jewish new year, so i bless you with SHANA TOVA (happy new year), and i hope that our war will finish soon.

Oren.