The logic in limiting sniper ammo to 10 rounds

PLM2

Where is it? Why not just model the sniper realistically and give him sufficient ammo? Afterall, its a realistic game. And the only reason to limit his ammo is because hes too powerful in some way. Make them more expensive?

I know its important for a sniper to relocate and not fire off a thousand rounds from the same spot, but cant that be modelled differently? And does that even matter really considering a rifle squad can fire outa the same spot continuously at long range and not get IDd?

Or was there some secret rule in the past where a sniper could only fire 10 rounds whether he was in an extremely good position or not?

Hmm. I did not know that. But i still dont like the concept.

The sniper can only hit a target when he appears to fire. And he only appears to fire those 10 times. He also only effects the supression of the unit hes firing at those 10 times. I dont like it, should count individual rounds thne.

extremely fast replies btw :-O

I 'aint got a 'sniper' in my game OOB!

Search as Sergei helpfully suggested, there are numerous threads devoted to the role and function of the sharpshooter in the game.

Check through CMBO and the CMBO archives for the subtle differention between a 'sharpshooter' and a 'sniper'.

He's not really a sniper either, he's more along the lines of a normal troop with a scoped rifle. A lot of people get that misconception a lot. It takes some bad ass skill to hit a TC from 300m even with a scope if you don't have serious rifle discipline. The abstractions aren't perfect but work well with the rest of the ingame abstractions, especially since that dude is going to be taking a ton of shots but only the grazing / hits are going to matter.

Originally posted by PLM2:

Well IMO, he still isnt able to hold is own for too long against much at all with the short ammo supply which is either 10 shots or 10 bursts of him goin berzerk and firing a clip off in one instant

He isn't going to able for long even if you gave him a truck load of ammo, remember he's alone.

Originally posted by PLM2:

Well IMO, he still isnt able to hold is own for too long against much at all with the short ammo supply which is either 10 shots or 10 bursts of him goin berzerk and firing a clip off in one instant

Don't expect Rambo type heroics all the time from the sharpshooter, he operates with stealth and will not generally shoot at to close range (by TAC AI). Saying that I had in a recent PBEM, a German crack sharpshooter happily sit on the top floor of a building, while an allied squad unexpectedly came up to join him for a turn without seeing him (without 'hiding'). Thinking he was lost I ordered him to shoot at them at very close range, which pinned them (I think), next turn I got him to successfully withdraw...

Put a sharpshooter in a good LOS spot and he's worth his weight in gold on the defensive. He will spot for you and deal with high priority targets like TC's or gun crews. He won't put out a lot of ammo, but what he does can turn the game in your favour. His role is not rapid fire, or to skirmish, but to carefully and methodically pick his targets.

Originally posted by Sirocco:

Put a sharpshooter in a good LOS spot and he's worth his weight in gold on the defensive. He will spot for you and deal with high priority targets like TC's or gun crews. He won't put out a lot of ammo, but what he does can turn the game in your favour. His role is not rapid fire, or to skirmish, but to carefully and methodically pick his targets.

Indeed. Just finished a small QB (assault against AI). He managed to take out both of my M4A1 TCs. When under command of a HQ with bonuses in combat and stealth, they get very deadly.

Wouldn't it have been possible to set up some kind of point ratio limit, like no more than 1 sniper per a certain number of points on that side? And if that limit only applied to QB's and not scenario designers, it would accomodate the occasional weird scenario (that I'm not sure I would want to play anyway).

There's the 'official' sharpshooter ammo in the menu, plus he has unseen defensive capabilities too. If he's forced to defend himself against attack from close range you'll see him firing but his rifle ammo is not dropping. Pulling out a pistol I suppose. A mg or bazooka team usually has the same limited short range defensive capabilities.

Philippe, yes, that would probably help against the "hordes", but you still could turn the sharpshooter into a one-man hero, steaming forward with his scoped rifle to take out the bad guys singlehandedly, giving you (the player) information along the way you wouldn't know, and so on... the list of potential abuses of a one-man sniper are long, and we were looking for a way to somewhat limit this and keep his use within more realistic parameters.

Martin