CMAK AAR -- Questions & Comments--Part 2 Posted!

WWB

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, great AAR, thanks very much. What has impressed itself on me is the significance of dust clouds. Obviously the sight of dust clouds indicates some vehicle movement, but also it can give you vehicle direction, and approximate guess at how many vehicles, where the stop etc. But also from the AAR, it was interesting to see how it was used as a deception plan. I have noted this in the back of my mind for when the great game makes its way to my computer, thanks again for an insight into one of the less obvious'weapons' of CMAK smile.gif

Very cool AAR. Can't wait to try this battle--hope it makes the Demo.

Now a couple of queries regarding the Grant/Lee:

1. Why can't it fire from hulldown with the 75mm? Looking at the pictures of it, the 75 on the sponson doesn't look much lower than a typical main gun on a turret. It looks at about the same level as the gun on the low-profile Stug--just a little above the lower hull, yes, but above it nonetheless. So, why no hulldown for this gun? This could present real difficulties for the Allied commander in game play--hard to tell whether or not your tank will clear hulldown, etc. Maybe shoot and scoot will only allow you to used the 37mm, etc?

2. Does the 37mm really target independently? Say your Grant is facing a tank at 10 o'clock and an HT at 2 o'clock. Will the 75mm target the tank--turning in the process?-- and the 37mm separately target the HT? That would be cool to watch.

I notice that people are focussing on the dust raised by units as an obvious marker for troops(?)on the move. Also can be used as a tactic too but what struck me was a couple of times, the American player I think forgot about noise as a warning that mech units were on the way.

Noise warnings are still there, even if I did not mention them. But the dust is a bit more damatic and topical. I also find dust to be a generally more accurate indicator, especially when it comes to numbers.

WWB

PS: Tom, a player cannot target the 37mm and 75mm independantly. Which is reasonably accurate as there was only one TC to call out targets and help spot short rounds. The 37mm will fire on targets to the side though.

WWB

[ October 25, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: WWB ]

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Very cool AAR. Can't wait to try this battle--hope it makes the Demo.

Now a couple of queries regarding the Grant/Lee:

1. Why can't it fire from hulldown with the 75mm?

I would guess part of the reason, too, is that the 75mm gun is so much lower than the 37mm turret. The Grant is a TALL tank. If you have it behind enough cover to be considered hull down, that 75mm ain't gonna be able to shoot anything but the ditch/wall/hilltop you are hiding behind.

Steve

Steiner 14 writes:

:...jumps out of his SPW and runs to the top of the ridge. Quickly he scans the terrain, then runs back to his second SPW and explains the situation to the commander.

Really?! [[Eek!]]

Too god to be true, i guess."

Yeh, too good to be true.

Remember, if the vehicle in question is listed with 4 occupants and only two are shown, perhaps one of those 'invisible' crewmembers hopped out to take a look!" ;)

CMBB, like many other things, is that much better with the help of a little imagination.

Many comments on the new "dust" feature as both a warning and possible ploy. As to the latter, many of you no doubt know that Rommel more than once, as we was pushing the likes of O'Connor and Auchinleck east, ordered his trucks to spread out and tie branches and shrubs on their back bumpers to kick up tank-like dust clouds. Foxy, that Rommel.

• 2 weeks later...

*demo spoiler*

d

e

m

o

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

I hope I wasn't the only one who while playing the demo variant of this map kept fearing the moment when the Germans would move up their heavy stuff? Even with only the MkIIIs showing up the only thing that handed me a minor victory was the mauling of the German infantry. My tanks kept being partially penetrated by 50L60 fire but failed to even hit their opponent except with puny 37mm.

the only thing that handed me a minor victory was the mauling of the German infantry.
Though not designated as such, I sense this scenario was meant to be played as the Germans vs the AI, or 2 player. There are some CM solo battles for the defender out there, but they're rare.

I have gotten plenty of emails on this one. Here is one.

Plenty of action, excellent force balance, and a lot of subtleties in terms of the topo. I don’t know if you’ve noticed it in testing, but it seems as though the StratAI has dramatically improved, as it was mounting some competent multi-axis assaults on me (as I took Allies, wanting to get behind the Grants).

However, the AI is always better on the defense then the attack.

Rune