Question on frequency of CM Quick battle play

Hans

I was just wondering what the frequency of QB play is amongst the older players.

I use to be a daily, sometime multiple player of QB, for several years. As the demands on my time have multipled I've shifted my CM time to design. I still get in 2-3 QB a week.

Confessions of others, just how addicted are you? What about the alternative live style guys, the IP/PBEM or scenario/operation only freaks - how often?

I'm not an "older player" ... just gettin old.

I've strayed away from tcip games in favor of pbems. The pbems are less demanding and are more consistent with my current mood. When I play tcip, I feel as if I'm chained to the computer from anywhere between an hour to three hours with no bathroom breaks.

Out of 6 current pbems going on now, only one of them is a QB. The rest are single battles.

Pbems seem to be so much less demanding than tcip that more often than not I'm not getting my full CM fix. :(

I'm rough on my opponents too. I usually have their turns back within an hour. If they don't have it back in 8 hours, I'm probably dead or in jail.

-RG

I much prefer TCP/IP games, but I haven't been able to find players I know who want to play TCP/IP. I don't like playing total strangers (I'm more of a social gamer) but unfortunately most of my friends prefer other types of games.

Fortunately, Michael Dorosh has been kind enough to start an epic 20 battle / 15 turn per battle Ortona campaign with me, so I have turns a plenty to have to send. (I owe him a turn right now)

I usually play a pre-made scenario and a quick battle or two per week. I've worked my way about halfway down the list of single scenarios, playing each in turn, except where they indicate that they're more appropriate for two players.

I moved to PBEM vs a standard opponent. We play 2-3 games depending on size and always get turns back and forth every day - him in the morning, me at night. The PBEM games allow you to replay the movie several times and really think about your orders. I started creating my own "random reinforcement" scenarios based on the thosand ways to die thread and posting them on the scenario depot and my home site at www.carlstumpf.com (go to my site from the main page and then you can see the CMAK stuff). I have played a lot of scenarios that other people sweated to create so I am trying to give something back. My maps aren't as nice as the pros, though, I lack artistic talent smile.gif

I usually only play QB's when it is late at night and my wife is asleep and I've had a couple beers smile.gif - a lot of the time the computer smokes me if I am on the attack because I get sloppy.

Every few months or so we get together and have a LAN party and play head to head for 3-5 games. In those games we play RANDOM QB's which are a lot of fun if you are having a few beers.

with the new baby i can't commit to TCP/IP, but with the hunger i've got for it i usually get between 1 to 8 turns a (week) night out to each of the 4 guys i'm playing.

weekends i can really go mad.

i usually play QB's but i'm looking for a good scenario. i like to play British, preferably in Italy. anyone got any suggestions?

Not many TCP/IP quickbattles since tournamenthouse.com went off CM.

CMBB drove me crazy with slow stuff and 76mm guns no going though 80mm.

CMAK felt a lot better for a few times but since eons now I am waiting for a patch to fix the Allied artillery pricing issue. Contrary to what some people think we quickbattlers do like to compose forces that resemble the historical strengths of the nations involved. Not to mention I like big bangs :D

Originally posted by Other Means:

with the new baby i can't commit to TCP/IP, but with the hunger i've got for it i usually get between 1 to 8 turns a (week) night out to each of the 4 guys i'm playing.

i usually play QB's but i'm looking for a good scenario. i like to play British, preferably in Italy. anyone got any suggestions?

May I suggest for Brits in Italy

Small Battles, Recon North of Rome

Small Battles, Hussars at Medicina

Small Battles, East of Elba (New Zealanders actually)

If you like green European landscapes (versus just wanting Italy) then their are a number of Brits vs German scenarios set in 1940. If interested I'll list those out also.

I never play the AI.

The only thing that's made me play a QB is the BoB World Cup, which is using QBs.

Otherwise, I have always played scenarios. I have 4-5 PBEM scenarios going at once, usually 1 turn every couple of days each on average. For a long time that meant "ROW". Now that's finished, I'm going back to the depot for others...

GaJ.

Originally posted by Hans:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

If you like green European landscapes (versus just wanting Italy) then their are a number of Brits vs German scenarios set in 1940. If interested I'll list those out also. </font>

QB against a regular opponent once or twice a week via TCP. We tend to pick historical forces and after a million games have arrived at our own quite convoluted and probably entirely unnecessary house rules.

Still like to kick the AI around if I have a spare hour. Any totally random battle with the AI purchasing everything and with a 25% bonus for it can still be a lot of fun and quite suprising sometimes. Realistic it 'aint though.

Originally posted by Other Means:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hans:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

If you like green European landscapes (versus just wanting Italy) then their are a number of Brits vs German scenarios set in 1940. If interested I'll list those out also. </font>

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Other Means, go to TSD, click on a Hans Small Battle, on the right side under Other Battles by This Author, Look for the CMAK battles that end in 1940.

BTW the French are tough opponents in some of these battles.

A list of How to grau in CMAK is at TPG under FAQ, Research.

Don't forget to review it!!! ;)

It's easy!! Just a couple of clicks!! There's also a section for comments!!!

(I know you already know this and would probably review it anyhow. I'm just taking my own advice even if I have nothing to do with TSD)

:D:D:D