More troops surrendering in CMAK?

SPOILER

Yeah, I took a lot of prisoners in the Tunisian scenario when a large force of my panzers flanked the Americans lines and stormed through them. Same thing happened in Italy, attacking as the Americans, many of the Germans caught between my attack surrendered quite easily instead of fighting to the death. Also bailed out crews surrendered almost instantly if the vehicle was swarmed by my troops.

I find this quite realistic and a welcome thing to see. smile.gif

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I find it more realistic, too.

But will the MG squads, honoring past CM tradition, still wait till they're down to their last member before throwing in the towel? That's the real question.

[ November 19, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Originally posted by PeterX:

This new feature could get unwieldy in the Italian-intensive scenarios.

Right. I can see the dispatches: "His Majesty's forces were obliged to terminate their victorious offensive due to all our troops being told off as POW guards."

:D

Seriously though, I think it is going to be interesting to see how this works out. Basically it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Michael

[ November 19, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Just played the 2nd scenario and again I did capture much more POWs than what I was used to in CMBB/BO. Some of the squads I captured were at 50% strentgh and more, in CMBB I literally have to cut them down to the last man, surround them with a bataillon of infantry on an open field surrounded by barb wire and minefields, take away their rifles, mock their lineage and threaten naval bombardement to finally capture them.

Seems much more realistic that way.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PeterX:

Right. I can see the dispatches: "His Majesty's forces were obliged to terminate their victorious offensive due to all our troops being told off as POW guards."

Seriously though, I think it is going to be interesting to see how this works out. Basically it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Michael </font>

Seems much more realistic that way.
Yes,in the West. But perhaps not so realistic if applied to the Russian front where pitilessness reigned.

Patch idea: A 'Mercy' parameter susceptible to adjustment by the scenario designer. Sometimes one needs to factor in frightfulness, take, for example, the Malmedy episode. :mad:

Originally posted by PeterX:

DUDE, not PC.

BTW, I have a lock on some pristine Italian WW2 rifles.

Never fired and only dropped once.

All kidding aside, I like this "feature", if it really is a new feature. Seems like troops held out much too long before.

An an additional note, am I the only glad to be back to units that I recognize? The Ruskies had their moments but come on, an ampulet is not a real weapon. Might as well be using a wrist rocket as an AT asset. :mad:

I've only played one scenario (and only played that once) but there do seem to have been a few changes to the infantry model.

Like others I saw quite a few men surrender, especially when their positions had been overun.

I'm not sure but there may have been other tweaks . I had a platoon that got caught if faily open ground by a Sherman and they took a morale hit down to 'panicked'... however they seemed to recover much quicker than in CMBB...

....I cant back that claim up with any stats, but it certaily felt quicker. Maybe I'll try that one again this weekend. It could just have been a one off.

Its not a complaint ... I loved the sceanrio.

Anybody else seen similar ?

Lou2000

I'm not sure how much the code has changed. Shortly before taking a break from CMBB for a stink of OFP editing, I tried out some "shock" tactics using the Soviets. Basically rushing forwards with tons of conscript tanks and SMG infantry riding on top.

Anyway, I noticed that even crack and elite Waffenhampstertruppen hated having a 76.2mm shoved in the face on turn 3. Going hell bent for leather seemed to produce more enemy prisoners than if I were to attack in a slow and careful way.

...just an observation.

Wasn't there a radio message sent by a British unit at one stage that went something like "Please advise... I have two acres of prisoners!"

I'll stick up for the bravery of the Italian fighting man though, surrendering when you've no transport or decent supplies and outmaneuvered seems to be the act of an incredibly sensible person. :)

I wish faber&faber would re-print "Alamain to Zem Zem" again...

Originally posted by Quintusarrius:

Wasn't there a radio message sent by a British unit at one stage that went something like "Please advise... I have two acres of prisoners!"

I'll stick up for the bravery of the Italian fighting man though, surrendering when you've no transport or decent supplies and outmaneuvered seems to be the act of an incredibly sensible person. :)

I wish faber&faber would re-print "Alamain to Zem Zem" again...

Ditto to the bravery of the average Italian soldier - I'm rereading "An Army at Dawn" and the stuff those poor buggers had to contend with was shocking. Their standard infantry rifle dated from 1891, no trucks, no AT weapons, few MGs, tanks made from tinfoil and cheese wedges.....

Originally posted by Nippy:

...just an observation.

I dunno, i've played a ton of CMBB attacks / assaults and i've never seen men surrender even under the largest amount of pressure. Typically they fight to the death or until they run off the field.

I barely even applied pressure to a losing allied defense and I could take entire squads. They definately changed something. Also, I think global morale is more prone to get to critical levels.

Joke-mode on :

Whilst the war in the Western desert was no game of patty cake, maybe the 'war without hate' aspect has been modelled and the troops are simply more willing to surrender to a 'humane' opponent than they would be in Normandy or Russia

(Yes, yes... I know... the Sicilian, Italian etc campaigns were nasty but it's a nice image for the desert side of things)