Question: How accurate do you want CMAK to be?

I'm not talking about the Desert War but Italy.

Would you prefer the game's available in-theatre vehicles to closely match-up with what was actually in the Italian Theatre (historical purity)? Or do you want an all-vehicle option (to recreate CMBO with the CMBB engine)?

Historical purity may be painful. That would mean no King Tigers, no Cromwells, no Comets, no JagdPanthers or JagdTigers. Elefants would only appear briefly.

But an all-vehicle option would degrade the authenticity of the game. Why say CMAK covers a certain theatre then wreck the concept by adding gamey unavailable units? You might as well add laser cannons while you're at it!

My vote -- as painful as it is -- is for historical accuracy. I'd ache to think there'd be no cromwells in the game, but then again I'd ache to think there would be!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have even thought anything other then what was around in that time period and that location would be in the game anyway? But since you asked I would say stick with historial units. I can see everybody including myself wanting another CMBO but I would rather wait until the rewrite. Let's stick to a realistic war game I say.

No Cromwells?

Historical accuracy all the way, I'd say, otherwise the western desert would be alive with Stugs, and that would hurt.

Oh well, at least we have Churchills, so the 95mm is still available. Perhaps we'd get the thick-front 6pr armed one too (what is that, the Mk IX?)

I hope the superb cross-country mobility of the Churchill is modelled too, as that'll be very useful in the Italian scenarios.

I don't see the downside to including all of the vehicles. If you consider them gamey, don't use 'em. Until we know what theaters the new engine will cover (and when), why not get to play with the full set of vehicles in the meantime?

76mm

I recall a thread much like this when CMBB was first being assembled. Matt asked if anybody wanted the Maus put in the game just for fun and some of the forum members practically jumped down his throat for the suggestion! Unacceptably a-historical!

Just look at the debate that's gone on just over Russian cannister rounds in CMBB. I'm surprised I haven't heard from those rabit historical purists yet. "KT in Italy? That would be TOTALLY unacceptable!!!"

So why exactly is that some people base their happyness on something they don't like being taken away from other people, if they themself are not in any way forced to use or even see it?

At least it is a good resemblence of one of the causes of war in first place.

I think you could please both sides with a Realism Toggle as I mentioned earlier. If you want a QB with Tigers vs Jumbos in front of Alamein, turn it off, if you want to make sure both you and your opponent only buy what was available then and there, turn it on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well, I'm assuming that even in the MOST open of circumstances the vehicles would still remain date sensitive. So no Jumbos in Sicily regardless. Now that I think about it, if they go for historical accuracy... no Jumbos at all! They never made it into Italy, I believe.

Including 'inappropriate' vehicles just for fun isn't exactly a simple matter. Cromwells, Comets, Jumbos, etc. will all need new vehicle skins at the very least. That could distract their efforts in the short time before release from more pressing matters. and the game is going to be cheaper than CMBB.

I still say keep it historical, like a historical simulation should be. AND don't crab about no KTs when the game finally arrives!!!!

I say put in whatever can be put in easily to let people recreate CMBO battles wherever necessary. Stugs and such should already be in, at least in 44 and 45--they were in Italy. KTs are likely not too difficult--already remodeled and reskinned for cmbb. Regarding keeping things non-gamey, how about giving massive rarity penalties to the things . . .

WWB

Why not just include everything but with a switch for reality... something like the rarity choice we have now except all vehicles not in the Theatre of operations are not available to buy if you turn the option on... i think that would satisfy both parties... and personally i hink that ALL the tanks done so far should be in... including the ruskies... but thats just my vote... :D

it's probably all academic anyway, as i don't recall bfc asking us whether or not to include all vehicles available on the entire western front. however, since we're delving into the hypothetical, why not include them? you guys that insist on total historical accuracy remind me of the general in the mouse that roared. after being captured by the mighty dutchy of fenwick(or was it gran fenwick? or was that just the name of their wine? it's been too long...) anyway, though they offered him plush accomodations in the castle with fine dining and drinking, he insisted on them following the geneva convention. meaning an 8x10 cell and a tin plate to eat on.

as far as i'm concerned, the rest of you can eat on a tin plate, but i'm wining and dining in the castle if they offer it to me! lol...

Yes, you're right. BFC never asked us and are probably well on their way to doing whatever they're going to do, regardless. But still, what's the difference between putting Jumbos & KTs along the Gothic line and putting Imperial Stormtroopers along the Gothic line? Neither of them should be there! By all indications BFC takes the business of historical recreation very seriously.

[ July 22, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I suppose BFC needs something to live off. CMBO/CMBB sales will decrease over time and developing the new engine can take, hmmm..., years? They need sales to pay the rent until CM II comes out.

So, by omitting the additional CMBO vehicles, BFC will have the option of releasing a western front add-on or sequel, like CMAK, during that time.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

I wouldn't have even thought anything other then what was around in that time period and that location would be in the game anyway? But since you asked I would say stick with historial units. I can see everybody including myself wanting another CMBO but I would rather wait until the rewrite. Let's stick to a realistic war game I say.

Just for the record, the above represents my feelings very well. That said, it would not break my heart to see additional vehicles and units included just to keep the "what-if" guys happy.

The big "if" attached to that though is that it not unduly increase the amount of code that is going to have to fit on a single CD. If that is going to be a problem, then I would suggest that the additional vehicles, etc. be available as a download for those who find that they cannot live without it.

In any event, I think MikeyD is right about BFC having already made their decision and are proceeding on it.

Michael

don't get me wrong mikey d and e(and the rest of you fellers). i didn't say i expect them to include non-historically available vehicles in cmak. only that if they chose to include them, that would be fine with me. but i'd lay odds that they won't. any takers?(bfc employees and their families not included in this offer)... ;)

Since I don't plan on playing a lot of open desert scenarios (I think I will get carpel-tunnel syndrome from the repetitve motion of cancelling the far too many "sneak" and "run" orders) anyway, but I guess I'll just take what they give us. No real choice is there? Moon DID say that we will be able to recreate SOME CMBO battles--and note that he did not say ALL. So, I guess we'll have to see what BO battles we CAN revise for CMAK.

Conversely, if they limit the vehicles for this game for hstorical accuracy then how can they justify leaving out the Greek Army? In exchange for no KTs and Jumbos then give us the Greeks! They didn't have too much supporting artllery and maybe a few tin cans, anyway. Besides, what support weapons they DID possess should already be in the game as these were all purchased from foreign powers--many of which came from Italy.

If I need to sacrifice for history's sake, then let's make it as historical as possible. How can we fight in Crete without Greeks? Anyone ever hear of the Battle of Galatos? Just one example of how many good scenarios could spring from their inclusion. Then there's the Albanian Campaign. Give us enough options for variety and perhaps we won't miss BO TOO much. If you do, then just play CMBO again and try not to cringe at the drop in graphics. It's still a good game, but BB is great! Now CMAK has to outdo BB.

In exchange for not having KTs and Jumbos, let me start enjoying CMAK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!