Hetzer equivilant?

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The Hetzer has curved rather than sloped armour in CMBB, which seriously reduces its survivability.

I'd vote for the Stug IIIG in 1943.

Coo. So it is.

The same applies to the JagdPz IV and Pz IV/70.

I cannot see the reasoning behind this -- the main frontal plates are well-sloped, and the area represented by the Saukopfblende is extremely small. I don't have any details of the protection level provided by the Saukopfblende, but the excellent ballistic shape suggests to me that it shopuld be much higher than the level represented by "curved".

Pending some really surprising new information about these Jagdpanzers, I would go so far as to say that this is a mistake.

BFC please fix it or do somefink.

All the best,

John.

For me, it depends on terrain and ground conditions. I've lost count now of the number of StuGs I've lost in open terrain in wet or damp conditions. I would probably pick a Panther over a platoon of StuGs if the going was bad. It might only be one tank, but at least I could be sure I might get some use out of it.

Hey,

I liked the Hetzer in CMBO (cheap, first-shot, and low silhouette), but it was kinda different in CMBB.

I did a test from the above comments of the StuG III:

Quick Battle Meeting Engagements

Allied Armor vs Axis Unrestricted.

Mid-day,

Map used was imported from TshaplinkaME.cme

With 1000 points, I bought 7xStuGIII vet, and 2 light armored cars Regular.

I found out later that the AI bought 9xT-34 M43 and 1xISU-152.

Well, the results speak for itself, result: one german armored car lost from the scouting expedition, 10 russian afvs destroyed.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Originally posted by laxx:

Well, the results speak for itself, result: one german armored car lost from the scouting expedition, 10 russian afvs destroyed.

What did u expect? Ofcos the StuGs will slaughter the T34's, since they approch head on, and the only way the T34 can penetrate the front is with Tugsten ammo.

Tests like these arent worth much, as the T34's strenght is speed and mobility, and use this to flank AFVs like StuGs. You could just as well substituted the StuGs with King Tigers for that matter.

Panzer76:

Ouch! redface.gif

Since you are the StuG grog, can I ask why does the StuG III (early) cost more than the Stug III (middle) or early middle, about 158 vs 130 points ? Especially when it lacks a MG ?

This is a 1943 engagement.

Kanonier: I am using the grided grass mod, found here: http://www.cmmods.com/web%5CCMMods.nsf/d329c6a48ec6a36f85256c5f005fd0d9/2d0c6b067d73651d85256c7a006c4021!OpenDocument

[ February 13, 2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

Is "Curved" handled differently for different AFVs in CMBB? A 60 degree slope on a T-34 is obviously going to be the same 60 degrees on a Hetzer (or some vehicle with a 60 d. slope)... but is the Curved on the front of a T-34 the same as the Curved on the front of a Stug?

That needs to be tested.

As another poster said, StuG IIIG mid late or late against a Jagdpanzer IV could do as they both have 80mm curved.

However there are other differences as well, the Jagdpanzer is a superstructure vehicle in CM (three values for front) as opposed to a hull-only vehicles that the StuG is (two values for front). A tester would have to manually count only hits on the actually curved.

Of course, BFC might know this.

Originally posted by laxx:

Panzer76:

Since you are the StuG grog, can I ask why does the StuG III (early) cost more than the Stug III (middle) or early middle, about 158 vs 130 points ? Especially when it lacks a MG ?

This is a 1943 engagement.

I can see you'r using the rarity system, good for you. When you do, keep in mind that the "best" AFV isnt neccesserily the most expensive. Older models can be more expensive cos they are outdated models, and thus werent that common in that particular timeframe.

Without the rarity on, the differences in price for the StuGs are around 1-2 pts.

[ February 13, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Panzer76 ]