Biltong's Campaign Rules goes 'GOLD'!!

Originally posted by Apache:

Supersulo,

I run Win XP Home. Should your die app. run on that OK? I have DL it a couple of times and, each time I go to the zip folder I open it up and see what looks like an auto-exec type file. When I double click it I get 'This application has failed to start because vcl60.bpl was not found. Re-installing may solve the problem'.

Am I doing something wrong? I do use the die sheets but it does seem to have quite a lot of the same number, especially high ones. I may even try to dig out one of my old ten sided die :(

Same problem here. Any idea where we can locate the vcl.60bpl?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by History Buff:

.... If I want to change my Tanks for 42 to one which has a different amount of crew, how does exp change for that unit? Roll on the replacement chart? Say I got a 5 man crew, and am planning on getting some vehicles with 6 men, do roll on the replacement chart for that extra crew man?

42 South

Appendix B - Crossing over from 41

Changes

Your excellent performance during 41 has not gone unnoticed. You are hereby appointed to a new command. Your new Battle Group consist of:

"1 Fallschirmjager Company (German/Airborne) - 510 - Regular - Experience: 20.

1 Platoon of 3 x Sturmgeschutz IIIB - 244 - Regular - Experience: 15.

1 Platoon of 4 x Panzer IIIJ (Short) - 306 - Regular - Experience: 10. "

Obviously you lose any Attached Units you had in 41."

Use the same modifiers (weather etc) as the last 2 weeks of Dec for now... I'll post changes as I make them (for you and discussion)

Later

tongue.gif

[ February 15, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Hi Biltong,

Apart from any glaring note innacuracies or rule conflicts, as far as I am concerned BCRAV is finished for 41, there will be no further amendments. The suggestions are largely for things I'm thinking I may use, and you may wish to consider, for 42.

I should be able to post a couple of AARs soon, even though my rules are slightly different.

SS Pz drew a Mech force against an Armoured outfit holding a large town, medium map, open with small hills. Not good. The SS KOd loads of L/Ts but got a good kicking in getting their Tactical Defeat. They did a hell of a lot of damage too and the grunts did take most of the town. ATRs came in useful as did 3 well placed PAK 36. Lost 50+ troops who would not be replaced for two battles :(

The remnants then copped for a Mech immediate assault at dusk the same day. This time the oppostion was Mech too. A platoon of ACs rushed to their aid + a couple of IGs but couldn't get to them until turn 8 of a 32 turner. IGs saved the day. Did it though - Minor Victory smile.gif All good stuff!

Now, prior to BCR I either wouldn't have played many/any battles featuring some of the 'crap' configurations I draw OR would have binned them when I didn't like how it was going. Not now though. Each one is a struggle to the bitter end. One up for BCR!!!

[ February 15, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Hi Biltong,

Apart from any glaring note innacuracies or rule conflicts, as far as I am concerned BCRAV is finished for 41...

Good work Apache!! When are you starting 42, then I won't feel so alone :(

BTW - just hit the unit availability part for the Allieds - I found a Unit availability chart for armor at CM Mod database, but I need one for division types for 42... Unlikely it's out there I imagine... Anyone know?

[ February 15, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

[02:30, just home after a pub round, if I write anything weird, blame the alcohol]

I've recently started to use the predrawn maps instead of autogenerated ones... My god, what a difference! I didn't think then auto ones were that bad (well, they aren't...), but wow, the once I've used (3 so far) have been excellent! I hope we'll get many, many more! A few, notes on the maps: many of them tend to be very "long and thin" maps, with a long "path of destruction" in contrast to the QB maps that tend to be more "wide" than "long". Like 960m "wide" and 1440m "long" or something like that. I hope our excellent map designers will make some more "wide" maps.

The reason I waited this long to start with premade maps is that it doesn't play that well with using the scenario editor. Before, I used the same amp and just "autogenerated" a new one for every battle, that allowed me to just add the battle group once, now when I use use a new map every time I have to add my battle group for every new battle, changing names and all that. Too bad the scenario editor can't keep all the settings and just "insert" a new map and keeping all the parameters/units. Oh well, maybe CM2 will be perfect smile.gif

In my last battle, I think I met a "Hero of the Soviet union - post mortem"!. It was a platoon HQ, with 3 guys (anyone else noted platoon HQ are one tough S.O.B?). After the battle I checked their stats, they had 29 casualties caused! That's by far the most I've seen for any HQ, human or AI.

RE: my crappy die program:

Damn, that sounds like a missing "package". I wish I hadn't used Borland to write it... It's silly, why does it have to use these libraries, it's such a small program... I'll use Apache as a guinne (sp?) pig, and send him a new version to see if it works and then post a new version. Damn I miss my Amiga, things were much simplier then...

couple questions...

First, how would you rate the difficulty of the Billtong campaign? Is it geared for novice players or more like average and up??

Second, someone had said they were going to do a Java version of the rules that would handle it all for you. What ever happened with that?

Thanks,

Ken

< First, how would you rate the difficulty of the Billtong campaign? Is it geared for novice players or more like average and up?? >

The rules will grow and adjust with you as you get better. A player of any skill level can have fun with the rules. On the whole however, the campaign is extremely difficult (as it should be)

< Second, someone had said they were going to do a Java version of the rules that would handle it all for you. What ever happened with that? >

BILTAID is coming!!!

Patience my friend. I'm not spending all my weekends and evenings programming just to let it drop. It will be out soon but it's an enormous task. A small screengrab is on it's way to give you a taste.

Originally posted by Biltong:

Changes

Your excellent performance during 41 has not gone unnoticed. You are hereby appointed to a new command. Your new Battle Group consist of:

"1 Fallschirmjager Company (German/Airborne) - 510 - Regular - Experience: 20.

1 Platoon of 3 x Sturmgeschutz IIIB - 244 - Regular - Experience: 15.

1 Platoon of 4 x Panzer IIIJ (Short) - 306 - Regular - Experience: 10. "

Obviously you lose any Attached Units you had in 41."

Use the same modifiers (weather etc) as the last 2 weeks of Dec for now... I'll post changes as I make them (for you and discussion)

Later

tongue.gif [/QB]

This really destroys the purpose of BCR doesn't it? Remember the saying, take a company all the way through to Berlin? If all your hard work in 41, means nothing, going all the way back to a reg company, and how realistic is it for an inf. Company Commander to be immedeatly transferred to the Luftwaffe?

I think I'll stick with my loyal company for the time being.

Hist Buff,

42 has proved more difficult than I thought - a lot of battles, so there are more date modifiers... it's going to take at least 4 or 5 days for a beta version.

No probs.

Biltong, Can you let me know exactly what you need for 42 availability. For AFVs the charts attached to my variant (a revised version of Mike8g) have them all. If there are queries over infantry types and or other units let me know and I'll see what I and others can dig up. I need to be quite specific so people won't expend effort unnecessarily. Axis or Soviet too?

[ February 16, 2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Originally posted by History Buff:

...This really destroys the purpose of BCR doesn't it? Remember the saying, take a company all the way through to Berlin? If all your hard work in 41, means nothing, going all the way back to a reg company, and how realistic is it for an inf. Company Commander to be immedeatly transferred to the Luftwaffe?

I think I'll stick with my loyal company for the time being.

LOL - so you're turning down the promotion are you?? Those winter months cuddeling with your troops got you rea/ly close to them heh? :D

Ok ok - since you are now the most senior player here I imagine I better accept your 'good faith' and not have you shot :mad:

How about:

Changes

"1 Fallschirmjager Company (German/Airborne) - Points: 510 - Regular - Experience: 20.

1 Platoon of 3 x Sturmgeschutz IIIB - Points: 244 - Regular - Experience: 15.

1 Platoon of 4 x Panzer IIIJ (Short) - Points: 306 - Regular - Experience: 10. "

Obviously you lose any Attached Units you had in 41.

However, You might prefer to stay with your Motorized Inf Company that bled with you through the long winter months!! In that case, decline the new command. But, you will still be rewarded:

Your Motorized Inf Company has just received some transport:

1 Kubelwagen - Points: 22 - Veteran - Experience: 50.

2 x Trucks - Points: (2 x 26) - Veteran - Experience: 30.

2 x SPW 251/1 - Points: (2 x 67) - Veteran - Experience: 40.

Two Tank Hunter Teams have also been assigned permanently to your Company:

1 T/H - Points: 16 - Crack - Experience: 73

1 T/H - Points: 14 - Veteran - Experience: 25

Your armor is also replaced with:

1 Platoon of 4 x Panzer IIIJ (Short) - Points: 306 - Regular - Experience: 10. "

If you wish you can keep your original armor crews and use them to replace the crews of some of the new armor units. You choose which crews you wish to replace (if any).

If your original crew are too few to man a new armor unit, you will have to use some of the new 'replacement crews' to make up the shortfall. Use Note 18 - After Replacement Experience Calculation as per normal.

However, your 'old' men need to go through a learning curve with the new armor and each 'old' crew lose 10 experience points. Gain some lose some!!

If you need to add 'new replacements' to an old crew to make up the necessary numbers, the 'old crew' loses the 10 experience points before the calculation in Note 18 is done.

In this case you also get to keep the Attached Units you had when exiting 1941.

As you'll notice - there are 2 Battle Group Sheets to cater for which ever choice you make.

Comments guys - speak now or forever hold your peace/piece?

I'll be posting '42' changes here for discussion... Let me know if you don't agree - even if it's just 'gut feel'. far easier to discuss/vote now on issues than later when the 42 rules are nearly finished.

Thanx HB - You got the ball rolling smile.gif

Biltong. I'm still playing 41. In fact I've started over again as a result of some fairly radical changes to BCRAV v2.0. That said, I'm happy to start working on '42 now.

Hi Apache,

I'm not sure what I can farm out - if any.

I've got the date modifiers in place already.

At the moment I'm busy with drawing up tables for Division availablity ... :( Boring..

Something you (and everyone else) can maybe help with:

Suggestions as to how to make the Attachment rules more realistic... E.g:

New Attachments must come from Task Force units that survived the previous battle.

But what happens if that unit suffered some casualties?

Their experience? Not rolled up specially, but taken from the Task Force experience that they belonged to.

What happens if you already have 3 - how do you upgrade? Just send the weakest one home and take the new 'better' one in it's place?

etc etc

Any Thoughts?

I'm into battle 9 using 1.02 CMBB, an immediate attack at the end of July, 1941. All except for battle 9 (requires a huge) were played using the mappak.

These 9 battles have all provided something different and exciting. They ranged from very difficult (I roll at rookie) to strangely easy.

I'll give a few AARs--

What if you gave a battle and nobody shows up? Try Crossroads (mp1) as Axis assult. Pretty funny, but I'm sure this happens in real battles.

Ack T-34's--I'm defending in a large battle at State Farm (mp1). Three platoons of T-34's show up and kick my butt. Overall I get a minor loss but only because AI can't finish me.

Battle 9 appears to be interesting. I rolled a 5x big battle multiplier but only have 2798 total points (mostly infantry 1125). Computer with 2000 points just took about 10 minutes to set up with my one year old dell. I bought a regiment of infantry, never played this before. If my computer holds up we are off.

Strange on the delay for the current because I've played lots of computer 3000 point games that had nowhere near this delay.

Originally posted by kenm:

...What if you gave a battle and nobody shows up? Try Crossroads (mp1) as Axis assult.

Strange on the delay for the current because I've played lots of computer 3000 point games that had nowhere near this delay.

Hi Kenm,

What do you mean 'nobody shows up'? You never saw the Allies? Then there's something very wrong somewhere...

You were Assaulting - did you get to the flags and there was no-one there :confused: Wish I get some like that. In fact if it was possible (within the BCR framework) it would be fun to set up one like that just to see the players faces - all the suspense & tension of slowly.. carefully advancing and finding no-one! :D

As for the Huge map delay - any craters/fires? What was the damage setting? Damage can cause a huge load on the engine.

Thanx for the feed back smile.gif

Biltong

Here's the latest version of the changeover rules for 42:

If your Battle Group was decimated 3 times in a row in Dec 41 and you were pulled out of the line for a month, you are no longer in your CO's good books. In fact your Favor is zero!

Once you have proven yourself worthy by accumulating 100 'new' favor points with your CO you can use these points to obtain the favors below...

However, if you managed to survive the horrors of the winter of 41, then your excellent performance has not gone unnoticed. Proceed with the rest of this appendix and receive your just rewards.

You are hereby appointed to a new command. Your new Battle Group consist of:

"1 Fallschirmjager Company (German/Airborne) - Points: 510 - Regular - Experience: 20.

"1 Kubelwagen - Points: 22 - Regular - Experience: 17.

1 Truck - Points: (25) - Green - Experience: 8.

1 Truck - Points: (30) - Veteran - Experience: 37.

"

"1 SPW 251/1 - Points: (57) - Regular - Experience: 11.

1 SPW 251/1 - Points: (67) - Veteran - Experience: 48. "

Obviously you lose any Attached Units you had in 41.

You might prefer to stay with your Motorized Inf Company that bled with you through the long winter months!! In that case, decline the new command. But, you will still be rewarded: Your Motorized Inf Company has just received some transport:

"1 Kubelwagen - Points: 22 - Regular - Experience: 17.

1 Truck - Points: (25) - Green - Experience: 8.

1 Truck - Points: (30) - Veteran - Experience: 37."

"1 SPW 251/1 - Points: (57) - Regular - Experience: 11.

1 SPW 251/1 - Points: (67) - Veteran - Experience: 48. "

"Two Tank Hunter Teams have also been assigned permanently to your Company:

1 T/H - Points: 16 - Crack - Experience: 73

1 T/H - Points: 14 - Veteran - Experience: 25"

"Your armor is also replaced with:

If you wish you can keep your original armor crews and use them to replace the crews of some of the new armor units. You choose which crews you wish to replace (if any).

If your original crew are too few to man a new armor unit, you will have to use some of the new 'replacement crews' to make up the shortfall. Use Note 18 - After Replacement Experience Calculation as per normal.

However, your 'old' men need to go through a learning curve with the new armor and each 'old' crew lose 10 experience points. Gain some lose some!!

If you need to add 'new replacements' to an old crew to make up the necessary numbers, the 'old crew' loses the 10 experience points before the calculation in Note 18 is done.

In this case you also get to keep the Attached Units you had when exiting 1941.

As you'll notice - there are 2 Battle Group Sheets to cater for whichever choice you make.

Any comments welcome.

Biltong

Originally posted by Biltong:

I had 3 Panzer III H's for my first 6 mths. Surely there no learning curve for learning how to drive a Panzer III again. What could be different? Oh the drink holders are on the left hand side now not the right. Oh and we've now got air conditioning, just what we need in January 1942. :D

Always asking questions.

Biltong I'll wait for you to send a beta of 1942 to me before I start.

JUST HAD A WILD IDEA!

Idea for switching from 1941 to 42.

At the moment you get all these new units, your tanks are changed etc.

What about the following.

A new year has dawned and there is new opportunities for the young officers of the Reich. Many other German forces you have encountered have taken note of your exploits, (For good or bad). If you have 100 + favour points you may transfer to another unit who needs a determined commander. If you transfer the following happens. (However you don't lose any favour in doing so, just got to have it to prove your a good CO).

-Your old force is left behind. A new CO takes over and after a wild party (for the russian front line) you leave them to fight the war. (Attached units are lost).

-Your new force is whatever force you wish but must be of company size. All units are of regular exp. Except for you and your staff. Carry your exp. over.

-It takes a month for your new force to "gel" together and fight like a unit. So after a month of training you enter the front line on the first of Feb. Not the first of Jan. (One less month of winter! For you!).

If you decide to stick it out with your present force you continue as normal where you left off. With attached units.

This system is far simpliar, in dealing with transfers and could be used at the end of 42, when you have to make a choice. Leave Stalingrad or fight a losing battle and try to break out!

WHAT YA THINK? This leave the player with alot of freedom and is easier to follow.