Biltong's Campaign Rules goes 'GOLD'!!

The way you are doing the rules is correct. The crew has to be replaced and the experience of the tank crew may and probably will go down. There is always the possibility of the replacements being of higher quality than the original crew though. The way you worded it made it seem like you were playing so you lose the entire tank forever.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use anything > 20% as being off limits for stuff I purchase on my own but I don't think that's in the rules.

I think when you do the QB generation the rules tell you to use the Historical Rarty setting, which limits what gets generated in the QB to generate Aux units and then you choose almost everything you get from those - I haven't seen anything else involving rarity in the rules.

Originally posted by KingMikeH:

Warning: Stupid BCR newbie question below!

Ok, I can't seem to find anywhere what rarity is off-limits during purchasing. I know it's there, but I can't find it, I'm a fool. Can someone with his head out of his nether region help me out?

Thanks. :confused:

Hidden away in Note 12 - Generate Real Battle:

For both the Task Force and Attached Units stick to units that are < 40% Rare - a die roll of 9 or 10 gives you free reign to buy those rare beauties :)

Couple of days ago also changed:

50 Generate Real Battle

You now generate a QB battle using the parameters rolled up above. However: Change Axis Force Mix, Nationality and Quality to Unrestricted and ALLOW HUMAN for Purchase Units.

See Note 12 - Generating the Real Battle

Roll a single die to find out if you can ignore Rarity for all Task Force and New Attached Unit/s.

9 or 10 and you can buy what you want!

[ February 28, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Some more changes - same change to both 41 and 42:

24 AMMUNITION

1 Full June - July -4Aug - Sept -3Oct 1st to 3rd week -2October (4th week) to Dec (1st week) +1;Dec (2nd week) +2; Dec (3rd & 4th weeks) +3

2 90%

3 80%

4 70%

5 60%

----------------------------------------------

6 50% Axis Immediate Attack/Assault +2 OR

7 40% Axis Assault -5; Axis Attack -3; Axis Probe -1

-----------------------------------------------

8 30% Extreme Cold or Blizzard +2

9 20% Allied Counter Attack/Assault +2

10 10% Can trade in 10 points of Favor to alter die by maximum of 1

Added to 32 Arty/Air: Battle Type ME –4

NOTES

Note 1 - Date

For your first Battle start on Day 1; Week 4; June (22 June 1941) and ignore the rest of Date (1). Tick the appropriate boxes opposite (7) on the Parameters Sheet. You will use this Sheet later to generate the QB's.

If this battle is not an Axis Immediate Attack/Assault or an Allied Counter Attack/Assault, you can trade in 30 points of Favor to alter the die by a maximum of 1. See Note 2 - Favor.

Please note that modifying the Date with Favor must be in a positive direction. ;)

If this battle is an Allied Counter Attack/Assault or an Axis Immediate Attack/Assault, then the die roll is ignored and the next battle will take place in the Next Time Period.

The definition of 'Next Time Period' is at the top of Note 3 - Time.

Note 3 - Time

Definition: Next Time Period. Time follows a predictable sequence. First Dawn, then in order; Mid Day, Dusk and Night. Dawn follows Night (don't forget to advance the date by one day in this case).

Players select the FIRST appropriate option from the list below and follow the instructions accompanying that option.

Option 1. If the previous battle resulted in an ALLIED Counter Attack/Assault, follow the instructions in Block A.

Option 2. If the previous battle resulted in an AXIS Immediate Attack/Assault, follow the instructions in Block B.

Option 3. If the current Battle Type (2) is an AXIS Probe/Attack/Assault, the player may trade in 20 points of Favor to alter the die result by a maximum of one.

Option 4. If you got to here, you have no options. Roll the die and hope for the best. smile.gif

BLOCK A - There are neither modifiers nor a die roll. Select the next time period from the one in the last battle.

BLOCK B - If you wish to delay the Axis Immediate Attack/Assault by two time periods, it will cost you 30 Favor points. If you do not wish to delay the Axis Immediate Attack/Assault time, go to Block A

I did away with ther old Block C to simplify things...

Comments welcome - Date/Time has been a problem from the start.

Progress Report ;)

Got through all the diverse e-mails..

This week-end: Maps!! In order as i received them:

Johan Doll

Theo

D. P.

Helmut

Plus my 11 year olds sleep-over party - 1000 decibles for 14 hours :eek:

There's been a number of changes to 41 and 42 - nothing serious, but I think I'll put out an update in a week or 2. Biggest priorities is a new map pack... hopefully in the comming week. I won't be able to include all the maps sent, guys - too many to process, but I'll try and include some from each of you smile.gif

Biltong

A practical suggestion if you do an update:

I have found it much more convenient to separate the parameter rules and notes into two pages in the spreadsheet. It allows me to have a cursor location in both the paraneter rules and the notes, and easily switch between the two as I roll up a battle.

I'm also working on a "small PC" variant. I'll publish my findings when I get a bit more experience with it, but drop me an email if you're interested in what I did so far.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

A practical suggestion if you do an update:

I have found it much more convenient to separate the parameter rules and notes into two pages in the spreadsheet....

I'm also working on a "small PC" variant. I'll publish my findings when I get a bit more experience with it, but drop me an email if you're interested in what I did so far.

Hi Robert,

You'll find that after your 3rd battle or so, you don't look at the notes anymore. That's why they are seperate from the parameters... Once you have read them a couple of times, that will be it.

As for the small PC variant - good idea. Once you have it ready - post here - I'm sure there will be other guys who need something like that and will give it a test drive smile.gif

Biltong

Just a brief AAR: I starte dmy campaign. Am at battle4. The first three went extremely well.

Rules are sound and make for an excitement to go through the next battle knowing these ARE my men!!!!

BTW, I started using Peter Biltaid Java tool.

Wow guys, that is SO nice. Peter asked me not to advertise it since it is in beta but it made the entire process such a fun thing that I finally couldn't resist.

All my men are now regular, have some 14 experience units and the rest all at 13.

My favor grows staedily and I have heard rumors from Berlin: the Fuhrer himself wants to know this new CO who just went through Ruskis as hot knife on a butter bar.

:D

city fights could be handled simpler. Note 4 implies that the player knows how long he will be in the city, and he also has to keep track of this in advance.

Instead, I propose that the roll for the date (parameter 1) gets a -3 modifier if the previous battle was in a large town and that the roll for days (when it appears) is substituted with an advance of 1 day when the previous battle was in a large town.

That should keep the player in the large town for a relatively long and indefinite period.

City fights of the future will be choreographed affairs – Specially designed on historically accurate maps depicting famous battles. Peter Molloy is busy with Kiev (5 battles in 41) and Manstein’s started working on Sevastopol (5 battles in 42) After Kiev (which should be soon) Peter’s starting with the Big One: Stalingrad – a 15 battle monster which promises to be something! Once we have these battles in place, the City Battle will disappear – 20 city battles per year is enough. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

...this new CO who just went through Ruskis as hot knife on a butter bar.

Hi Seahawk - Welcome :D

Thanx for the AAR - always good to hear from you guys. Save some of that favor for the winter - you'll need it ;)

Biltong

I'm still a bit unclear on attached units. I haven't actually had the chance to buy any, but I hope I will, eventually ;)

Do I have to buy a unit the first time I get it using the same nation/division as the task force for that battle?

It would make more sense to me to use the same type of unit as my battle group.

Experience is assumed to be regular the first time I buy it.

> It is in fact a simpler solution for the paper > rules,

It is an excellent idea for the paper rules; the only downfall is that there are modifiers on the date roll that ties it to the month of the year.

I'm not sure if the length of a city fight should be tied to the month.

WHy not just make a roll as to whether the city fight continues before rolling for date:

1-2 - The city fight ends

3-10 - The city fight continues

This gives you a 26% chance of the city-fight lasting 6 days.

[ March 01, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Peterk ]

Hi Robert –

Attached Units has nothing to do with the Task Force.

Attached Units are rolled up using 58 Normal Replacements - even for the first time you buy it.

Here's the note in the updated Player Guide:

Attached Units

You roll for these at end of each battle and may get some points allowing you to buy and upgrade up to 3 units (in total). Attached Units are restricted to Infantry, Support and Vehicles only and does NOT include any Tanks! You are free to buy any units from the QB unit list when you buy your Battle Group and Task Force, but sticking to the less than 40% Rarity rule (a die roll of 9 or 10 gives you free reign to buy what you want).

Attached Units primary function is to allow you to buy and play with a variety of units that you won’t normally encounter during the campaign. Note: They have nothing to do with the Task Force – they are extra units that are incorporated into your Battle Group.

Attached units get reinforcements like your normal Battle Group units, but they generally get cleared out every now and then as a result of an Emergency Re-organization (Parameter 57 in the Rules). It will probably take you a few battles to get all 3. Once you have 3 and you obtain more points you can upgrade what you have for something better.

58 NORMAL REPLACEMENTS

For Task Force Quality roll up Low, Medium or High. For New Attached Units Quality roll up Green, Regular or Veteran. In both cases ignore the following notes and modifiers.

What really happened:

The unit you roll up came from another Army Group that fought 76 miles to the west 3 weeks ago - they got separated from their company, found themselves behind enemy lines, traveled for 15 nights looking for the Allied lines and on this specific day was hiding in a ditch when you decided to have a battle right there next to them... Since no-one knows where their company or even their Army group is, they decided to hang out with you for a while... especially since you seem to be a good CO and their previous CO stunk and was bound to get them killed... ;)

Originally posted by Peterk:

> It is in fact a simpler solution for the paper > rules,

It is an excellent idea for the paper rules; the only downfall is that there are modifiers on the date roll that ties it to the month of the year.

I'm not sure if the length of a city fight should be tied to the month.

WHy not just make a roll as to whether the city fight continues before rolling for date:

1-2 - The city fight ends

3-10 - The city fight continues

This gives you a 26% chance of the city-fight lasting 6 days.

You have a good point about the month modifier, Peterk. Using a specific roll is much better. I would increase the range from 1-2 to 1-4, however.

You need to consider the average as well, which is 3.5 for a die roll of 1-6. I think (do't recall the math exactly) that the average length using your suggestion is 5 battles, while it would probably be 2.5 usign my suggestion. On top of that there is no fixed length using this method.

These details aren't all that important, though , as this is obviously a temporary change.

Is anyone else up to 42? As in finished 41 is carrying on with 42? Damn I'm already up to March and thats with Uni. How ya do it? Dedicate yourself and play one game every night! Oh and some nice rolls of 3 weeks between each battle. The snow is finally melting and my men are glad as they feel some warmth return to their bodies.

Had a bad exp however. Panzer IIIJ's don't take on T34 all that well. I hate pure armour engagements. :( All me Panzer crews from 41 are strewn about in some bushes in the Soviet Union now. :( I bled with those men. <Sob> To brighter news, now my company is about to face some Soviet force in the open. Fun. :rolleyes:

Oh and biltong the parameters sheet in the PDF set is the 41 one. ie, no Jan - May in the month line.

Originally posted by History Buff:

Is anyone else up to 42? As in finished 41 is carrying on with 42? Damn I'm already up to March and thats with Uni. How ya do it? Dedicate yourself and play one game every night! Oh and some nice rolls of 3 weeks between each battle. The snow is finally melting and my men are glad as they feel some warmth return to their bodies.

Had a bad exp however. Panzer IIIJ's don't take on T34 all that well. I hate pure armour engagements. :( All me Panzer crews from 41 are strewn about in some bushes in the Soviet Union now. :( I bled with those men. <Sob> To brighter news, now my company is about to face some Soviet force in the open. Fun. :rolleyes:

Oh and biltong the parameters sheet in the PDF set is the 41 one. ie, no Jan - May in the month line.

Hi HB,

I think you're way ahead of the pack - Pathfinder!! smile.gif You'll strike the errors first - pls post here and let me know if you find any more.

The next update for 42 will be quite soon - week or 2. Only a few changes - all posted in this thread a page or 2 back. Most important one is the Date/Time cleanup for Axis Immediate Attacks/Assaults.

Once you get to May let me know as well - Your armor might get an upgrade in June or July or thereabouts - haven't checked rarity yet.

What happened with the Pure Armor battle(s)? - difficult by the sounds of it. Defence should be reasonably easy?

Biltong