Biltong's Campaign Rules goes 'GOLD'!!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Aaron:

... My main problem with using casualties for the battle groups is that its highly improbably that a unit will lose 50% of their soldiers in the few days between battles. With the replacement rules, battle losses are replaced almost instantly (one day), why aren't these weather losses also replaced?

Good point Aaron,

However, some points to take into consideration:

1) Weather: extreme cold with no cold weather gear did cause havoc amongst the Germans the 1st winter.. losses to frostbite etc etc were enormous. Other factors that this emulates: vehicles and armor inoperable; roads non-existant during mud/rain season; morale drop in winter; bad visibility causing whole formations to get lost; food & ammo and other supplies not arriving etc etc

2) Replacements immediate, but casualties not?

I agree, this is not very realistic, but we are working within the constraints of CMBB... It can be circumvented, but the rules and calcs that will be needed, will complicate things out of proportion to the gain in realism.

Bottom line:

Full replacements every time were unlikely, so casualties are used to reduce the Battle Group to a more likely state for that time. Taking each on it's own does not look good, but the combination of the two results in a 'realistic' state for your Battle Group before a battle commences ;)

Dec 41 - Jan 42 a lot of units had even less than 50% of their men available for action. ;)

Originally posted by Biltong:

Dec 41 - Jan 42 a lot of units had even less than 50% of their men available for action.

I agree. However, its possible to roll 50% casualties as early as the last week of October. I guess I'd suggest decreasing the DRM to gradually ramp up the % more slowly.

Aaron

Bo, thanks for picking that up, amended. Shhot the proof reader!! Oh...hang on, that's me :(

Note 12 should refer to Appendix C (Experience Calc) not D. D was in an earlier version (major action rule) and has been deleted. Die rolls now provide for enough MAs as is. ;)

Originally posted by Aaron:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Biltong:

Dec 41 - Jan 42 a lot of units had even less than 50% of their men available for action.

I agree. However, its possible to roll 50% casualties as early as the last week of October. I guess I'd suggest decreasing the DRM to gradually ramp up the % more slowly.

Aaron </font>

Originally posted by Sublime:

Biltong - Any word on 1942 yet? =D i love this stuff

Yep - 1st version now available... Just preparing it to be posted on the web sites, but if you have finished 41... REALY FINISHED IT! mail me and I'll send it along ... otherwise just wait a day or 2 and it will be available for download on the sites (see 1st post of this thread for the download sites)... Hope you'll enjoy it as much as 41. You'll see I cut a lot of the extra explanations out of it, making it a bit shorter. Newbies will be adviced to start with 41 since that has all the bells & whistles as far as 'explaining How & Why' goes.

Biltong

Hi, just started this campaign, it appears to be great, thx. I am using the mappack and have a question. i won total victory in the first battl e and rolled up an immediate assault. I rolledu p the same kind of map, small with heavy trees; there's only one of those in the packs, (Ferrovia), so is my guess that I have to fight the same map again correct?

WOW Biltong! You guys are fu*king incredible!

Anyways could anyone help me out? Im feelin lazy and dont wanna look it up, but when you get your DRM (casualty thingi) after a battle, I know the formula, but how do you get the %? Is it the first two digits after the decimal after you do the last part of the formula - the division(math)?

thanks

Originally posted by voe:

Hi, just started this campaign, it appears to be great, thx. I am using the mappack and have a question. i won total victory in the first battl e and rolled up an immediate assault. I rolledu p the same kind of map, small with heavy trees; there's only one of those in the packs, (Ferrovia), so is my guess that I have to fight the same map again correct?

Not a good idea - You'll sit with the same approach routes etc.. Take the next closest one - you decide which element (size/trees/hills etc) you wish to ignore... I've received a ton of new maps, which I'll be plowing through the next week or so ... hopefully they'll be ready for download by next week-end smile.gif

Originally posted by Biltong:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sublime:

Biltong - Any word on 1942 yet? =D i love this stuff

Yep - 1st version now available... Just preparing it to be posted on the web sites, but if you have finished 41... REALY FINISHED IT! mail me and I'll send it along ... otherwise just wait a day or 2 and it will be available for download on the sites (see 1st post of this thread for the download sites)... Hope you'll enjoy it as much as 41. You'll see I cut a lot of the extra explanations out of it, making it a bit shorter. Newbies will be adviced to start with 41 since that has all the bells & whistles as far as 'explaining How & Why' goes.

Biltong </font>

hey... maybe I've missed something....

I have determined the after battle experience of my Co HQ as Regular

my 1st PLt 1st Squad experience is Green

when I pick units in the Real Battle Generator how can I change the experience of 1stPLT 1st Squad to Green, if the experience of the whole company is Regular?

Originally posted by Knaust:

Apache...thx for the quick reply...as I am implementing the rules in a Visual Basic program, what is the formula to determine the aggregate whole company experience?...sum of experiences/number of units, weighted mean experience?....maybe I missed something in the rules...

Hi Knaust

Note 12 - Generating Real Battle has thes lines:

"You won't be able to buy the HQ/Squad/Team etc. in your Inf. Company at different Experience Settings, so you have to average the Experience for the Company. Add up the experience of each Co unit: HQ/Squad/Team and divide by number of units. The player determines the Experience level for the company using Appendix A (which follows the Notes section)."

Ladies & Gentlemen,

BCR 42 South v1.0

Now available here:

SuperSulo's Site

or here:

Scooby's Site for a PFD version.

42 South

Includes rules for Pure Armor & Delayed Armor Replacement;

The Battle Group armor units are replaced by 2 Platoons of armor and 2 Tank Hunter teams and some transport is added as well. You'll have a stronger Battle Group, but at the same time the Battle Type Multiplier for Assault/Attack/Probe is reduced somewhat, so you'll face more enemy than before.

This is a beta - there will be errors/adjustments/additions.

Please report any problems here, on the board where evrybody can see the problem/suggestion and the answer (if any) ;)

A further armor upgrade (+- July 42) is scheduled to be included and hopefully we'll have the battles of Sevastopol and Stalingrad as an integral part of this set of rules. Still a lot of work before those components will be ready.

Enjoy... Still a long way to Berlin :D

Biltong

[ February 23, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]