Biltong's Campaign Rules goes 'GOLD'!!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Blackhorse:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Apache:

Supersulo,

I run Win XP Home. Should your die app. run on that OK? I have DL it a couple of times and, each time I go to the zip folder I open it up and see what looks like an auto-exec type file. When I double click it I get 'This application has failed to start because vcl60.bpl was not found. Re-installing may solve the problem'.

Am I doing something wrong? I do use the die sheets but it does seem to have quite a lot of the same number, especially high ones. I may even try to dig out one of my old ten sided die :(

Same problem here. Any idea where we can locate the vcl.60bpl? </font>

I added a version of the die program that SHOULDN'T need any external library. It got a lot bigger (~250 KB download).

I also had "problems" with Crossroads from mp1. Almost all soviet troops were at the back of the map (including all AT guns, as usual), and the dynamic victory flag was at the front house. It was only guarded by maybe a platoon. I had no trouble at all taking it, then it was just a matter of clicking "GO" until the end.

Or so I thought! With some 13 turns left, a KV rolled down the road! I had lots of tanks, but nothing that could hurt it. I had 5 PzIIIJ, 3 armored cars, 1 StugIIIB, 1 IVF and one PzIIC. After two turns it had killed one PzIIIJ (2 shots, 2 hits) and an armored car (1 shot, 1 hit). Range was 300-500, both targets were reversing for their lifes. That green soviet gunner was quite good, I must admit... After I had pulled all my remaining tanks behind a ridgeline/house, the KV slowly rolled towards the VL (the right hand house).

When it got close enough (300m or so), I tried to swarm it! It got off one shot (bye bye PzIIC), but with 6 other tanks pounding it, and the two AC parked in front and behind it smile.gif , it didn't fire anymore, just rotated on spot and tried to retreat. It even got a burst from a flamethrower team I managed to get close enough before one of them got shot and started to sneak away. After 1 more turn they abandoned thier tank.

That was quite a thrill! smile.gif This green KV fired only 4 shots, all hit their targets and killed 3 vehicles. After the battle was over (total victory for me), I saw that the AI had 2 more KV's at the back of their lines. They were in that "ditch" at the far back of the map, looked like they couldn't get out. The AI also had 6 AT guns, I saw none of them during the fight, they were too far back.

In my current battle I've just hit 4th week of October. Got an Axis attack, I have ~2000 pts, infantry only, the AI 2500 pts Comb arms. I think my CO made a misstake in the planning of this attack, I thought you should only attack when you have the odds with you... ;) It's extreme cold, damp(?!) ground, but no snow. My troops are unfit. Using ****omir Suburbs Ax At from Mp4. Nice map! This will be a tough battle... I just saw 2 T-34's and 2 light tanks. One light tank bagged my PzIIc. He always gets it first, poor guy smile.gif . 12 turns in I've managed to take the first VL with minimal loses/little resistance, and got a foothold just inside the village. I will try and make a sweeping move toward the factory with the big flag, taking the church in the process. I just hope I can keep those tanks away from my infantry...

Originally posted by History Buff:

...I had 3 Panzer III H's for my first 6 mths. Surely there no learning curve for learning how to drive a Panzer III again...

Hmmm... well obviously you adapted the rules to your own taste - no problem there, but, I can't cater for everyone's mods...

The 42 upgrade is quite a radical one if you stuck with the 3 suggested armor units for 41: 1 x Panzer IIC; 1 x Panzer IIIG; 1 x Panzer IVE.

There's method in my madness when I suggest something... I know there's 5 years to go and rushing into the luxury class too fast could lead to problems later.

I'm afraid now you'll have to mod to 3 platoons of panthers to keep your excitement going? :D

BTW - keep in mind that upgrading armor might make the task of the Axis too easy - you might have to change some of the modifiers as well to avoid boredom.

Originally posted by Peterk:

Sounds like a sneaky way to escape winter _and_ presumably fighting in Stalingrad. Biltong's sadistic - he'll never go for that.

:D

Skip the most important battle of the whole war!!

I don't think so tongue.gif

BTW - Peter Molloy has volunteered to do the maps for the 15 days you'll spend in Stalingrad and planning is well on it's way. If it's anything like what he's doing with Kiev, it might be worth your while to hang around ;)

Talking about escape... Yep, that will come into it, but not the way you think... :D

[ February 18, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Just some quick updates from my own personal 'front'...

after a month's furlough, we were set for an ME; I used the Malachai (sp?) map, which was awesome to defend/launch from.

Even with a 10% bonus, the Russians got their arse handed to them. The AI doesn't seem to do MEs very well.....it bunched up all the conscript troops in the valley and asked me to shell the crap out of them. I naturally obliged...

anyways, now I've rolled my parameters for an Allied Counterattack, and with the previous game set at 20% casualties (some squads/mortars didn't even make it to the battle!), I'm really hating the emergency reorg.

I'm assuming that even though I didn't lose a single man in my core group, I still need to move units off the map if they become depleted because of this previous casualty setting? if so, war definitely sucks. I'll need to dig deep into my favor supply!

Originally posted by j0ker:

Just some quick updates from my own personal 'front'...

after a month's furlough, we were set for an ME; I used the Malachai (sp?) map, which was awesome to defend/launch from.

Even with a 10% bonus, the Russians got their arse handed to them. The AI doesn't seem to do MEs very well.....it bunched up all the conscript troops in the valley and asked me to shell the crap out of them. I naturally obliged...

I must agree - ME's are a gift (most of the time).

anyways, now I've rolled my parameters for an Allied Counterattack, and with the previous game set at 20% casualties (some squads/mortars didn't even make it to the battle!), I'm really hating the emergency reorg.

Frag your CO - He volunteerd the F%$@!!

I'm assuming that even though I didn't lose a single man in my core group, I still need to move units off the map if they become depleted because of this previous casualty setting? if so, war definitely sucks. I'll need to dig deep into my favor supply!

Yep - Casualties is a pain - once you hit the winter you will see what the German CO's had to contend with :( - This also models vehicles; reserves; food & fuel not pitching... The deeper you venture into Mother Russia, the worse it gets. Esp. when rain/mud/snow/blizzards/extreme cold etc took it's toll... Logistics was a nightmare.

Remember - you don't always have to fight! Sometimes a minor defeat is the easy way out (as it was in real life). Fight the battle you can win...

Hint: The Allies have the stupid habit to come looking for you, if you take your time ;)

Thanx for the feedback

Biltong

Thanks, Biltong, as always, for your patience in answering the numerous questions -

Seems that my fears about facing the Russians with a depleted group was unfounded... looks like the only thing the AI does worse than MEs, are Attack scenarios!

With only about 4 guns and a spotter in my Task Force, I was able to hold off the counterattack with only 5 casualties (all coming from the only AT gun that got placed too close to the action).

Ah, July. No doubt I'll be remembering these times later while freezing in a trench looking for rocks to hurl...

My armor racked up some crazy casualties this time, they really had a field day... I think all 3 of them caused over 100+ each - any 'special' experience bonus for killing Ruskies wholesale?

Of course, now I'm looking at an immediate counterAssault - one brief question about the force size, sorry if it's been covered before...

I've rolled for 5x multiplier and got the Large aty jackpot (don't have the parameter sheet in front of me but it came out to over 2000 pts) and was wondering about the inherent discrepancies that come with such a large cut-off point in the way the QB renders Force Size...

2 questions, specifically:

1) when do you add the core group size # (the co. and 3 armor, plus attachments if any)? do you add it along with the task force when determining prov. force size? or does that additional # stay out until you select the actual Battle QB? it seems that when you're determining points for task/prov. force, those core group pts. should only be added to the result after the 1st QB... if so, it's just me getting confused when looking at the sheet....

B) if the final resulting number (actual number for everything in the force) ends up being a hair over a cut-off # (say, 3040 or something like that), when you render the live QB for battle, do you HAVE to use the 5000 pt. setting (knowing what the Allied force size will be [shudder]) or do you eat the points and go to the 3000-pt. setting, making it more equitable?

thanks again,

j0ker

Biltong Sir,

Wow!! I’m moving up in the world – This is the 1st time I’ve been called Sir around here ;)

Download PDF sheets Player Guide,Rules,Parameters

radom number sheet numbers 1- to 10.Battle Group sheet

and Favor sheet. and a dice roller.

Good.

Help me get started I guess Die means Dice roll. for random Parameters settings?

Yes – that is right.

My dice program has a

D-10 is this the one I use?

Yes – that sounds right.

shows things like number times,

modifier, Result.

I’m not too sure about the other things the dice program offers.. I haven’t used it yet – I think it’s one that the web master: SuperSulo provided? But you will be looking for a ten sided roll – i.e.: numbers between and including 1 to 10.

Don't known how to use radom number sheet? I just never played any games with dice rolls.

Just print the sheet – take a pen or coki and mark the 1st number that strikes your fancy – anywhere on the sheet. Use it to determine the 1st modifier. Then take the number next to the 1st and do the same for the 2nd modifier etc etc You can go left to right or up and down – it does not matter – all the numbers are random from 1 to 10.

My First Parameter ask for date? On QB I see 1941

June to Dec. Do I pick a month by dice roll to start?

No – Read the Player Guide starting at page 1 – it will tell you what you have to do – step by step… ;)

and you talk about week and Day I don't see these

settings on QB setup?

I am trying to understand rules to get started

Thank's for any help. Just all greek to me now.

Regards,

Lane From the USA

You’re welcome Lane – Hope you enjoy it!

If you have any further questions – post it on the board where all the new guys can see the answer – some of them might have the same question, but be too embarrassed to ask.

Biltong

Originally posted by j0ker:

... No doubt I'll be remembering these times later while freezing in a trench looking for rocks to hurl...

So true - the 1st players have just entered the winter and it seems to be just what the Axis experienced :(

My armor racked up some crazy casualties this time, they really had a field day... I think all 3 of them caused over 100+ each - any 'special' experience bonus for killing Ruskies wholesale?

Nope - No Crack troops after only 2 months in the field ;)

I've rolled for 5x multiplier and got the Large aty jackpot (don't have the parameter sheet in front of me but it came out to over 2000 pts)...

Lucky bugger - enjoy the fireworks :D

...1) when do you add the core group size # (the co. and 3 armor, plus attachments if any)? do you add it along with the task force when determining prov. force size? ..

Correct - This point came up before, so I've now amended the rules to read:

"36 Calculate Force Size

Enter the Purchase Points for each Task Force category on on your Parameter Sheet from (29 to 35)

Total up the Purchase Point Total. That is your Battle Group (including Attached Units) plus the Task Force you have just rolled up.

"Now Calculate the Provisional Force Size...."

I.e.: before the 1st QB - reason being: 1) you need a Force Size in any case to generate the 1st QB

2)You need a 'large' force size for the 1st QB to give the player a larger pool of units out of which to choose his Task Force units.

3) You also need a Force Size for the Real Battle QB

Using the same Force Size for both QB's works well on all counts.

B) if the final resulting number (actual number for everything in the force) ends up being a hair over a cut-off # (say, 3040 or something like that), when you render the live QB for battle, do you HAVE to use the 5000 pt. setting (knowing what the Allied force size will be [shudder]) or do you eat the points and go to the 3000-pt. setting, making it more equitable?

No - Rules are rules!! War is hell and BCR even worse :mad:

Come on - what's a couple of 1000 Ruskies here or there - BCR players are tough!! tongue.gif

BTW guys,

Some of you, esp. the new guys, might feel ashamed to ask questions.

Don't be - if you have a question it means the Player Guide/Rules aren't clear enough.

As the questions come in I try to clarify it in either one or both the documents... so your questions serve a usefull purpose.

Keep em coming - you are doing all new (and even some of the old) guys a favour. smile.gif

The updates will be released at regular intervals... Next update of 41 due this week-end!

[ February 19, 2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Sorry to be totally thick, one more question on the provisional points for the task force. I've rolled up my parameters for my first battle an got something like the following for task force

Inf 100

Veh 120

Arm 75

Art 130

The large battle result was None.

Axis casulties was None.

So I think this means I don't get a task force for my first battle - correct ? or do I get one of 425 pts? ie the provisional force size calculation is 425 * (1 - 0) / 1 (can't divide by zero so I assume that battle type none would be a 1 here)

Thanks for enlightening us thick heads and I think this is definitely the best idea yet for CMBB.

Cheers,

Stonehouse

Originally posted by Stonehouse:

So I think this means I don't get a task force for my first battle - correct ? or do I get one of 425 pts? ie the provisional force size calculation is 425 * (1 - 0) / 1 (can't divide by zero so I assume that battle type none would be a 1 here)

That equation would not equal zero but 425.

(1-0) = 1 / 1 = 1 times that by 425 equals 425.

But that figure where 425 is, is also meant to include your Core Force and attached units. If I'm wrong thats how I did it. :D

Curently I'm freezing my a** off deep inside Russia enjoying X-Mas and New Year. (Waiting for 42 Beta).

Sorry I wasn't clear was I. That 425 pt figure was only the task force assigned to my core unit not the core unit itself & task force. So yes you're right and it should be 425 + 653 = 1078 * (1 - 0) / 1. Rereading the rules and guide again just now I'm really starting to believe that I'm on my ownsome for the first fight :( as the battle type modifier seems to apply to each line (29 - 35) but it would be nice to get that confirmed before I start the campaign with unnecessary casulties from a tough first battle.

Thanks,

Stonehouse

[ February 19, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Stonehouse ]

Doh. The light dawns for me LOL. Sorry I totally misread the section on provisional force size calcs at least 4 times, must need more coffee and more sleep. The formula uses the battle TYPE not the large battle size modifier.

So in my case the provisional points are

1078 * ((1 - 0) / 1.72) (Axis assault)

so my points are 627. The battle size modifier of none I think is actually meant to mean a X1 on items 29-35.

Ok that means I can do my first battle tonight smile.gif

Cheers and thanks for the help again,

Stonehouse

> Yep - Casualties is a pain - once you hit the

> winter you will see what the German CO's had to > contend with

Just wondering? Was winter really that devastating in the southern front? I know around Moscow it was bad, but I've never heard of it also being bad south of the prippet marshes. Just curious.

Just a quick note (BUMP) to compliment Manstein, et. al. for the wonderful maps. I've never been to that part of the world but it seems that there just isn't any comparison to the randomly-generated maps, which seems (if you choose at least modest hilliness) like you're fighting in VA or something...

now, don't get me wrong, one of my fantasies is to drive a IVE across Danville...

but you'd think that the random map generator would use Steppes more often when rendering a map.

New Battle: gotta be a Huge map, gotta be Axis Assault. the only one i can find in the Map Packs is Biltong's Tuesday map. Very interesting, it will be a challenge... especially under cover of night. Further bulletins as events warrant...

j0ker

Im dead...My comrades are dead all but 10 of 133 men! It was beatiful...I got a Major Victory, believe it not. Huh..talk about Phyrric(sp?) victory! Winter WOW! :eek: Holy Crap!

German Russkies

Men Ok.............10 623

Total Cas.........123 1554

KIA................26 423

Captured...........17 0

pillbox Des..........4 0

Vehicle Des..........7 0

German

Ammo 20% That is for favor!! :eek: :eek: casulties 50%

unfit

Russkies

Qual. High

Fitness Fit

Casulties 50%

Ammo 80%

Talk about unbalanced! It was fun though.

EasyCo

Originally posted by Stonehouse:

Doh. The light dawns for me LOL. Sorry I totally misread the section on provisional force size calcs at least 4 times, must need more coffee and more sleep. The formula uses the battle TYPE not the large battle size modifier.

So in my case the provisional points are

1078 * ((1 - 0) / 1.72) (Axis assault)

so my points are 627. The battle size modifier of none I think is actually meant to mean a X1 on items 29-35.

Ok that means I can do my first battle tonight smile.gif

Cheers and thanks for the help again,

Stonehouse

Hi Stonehouse,

Another player had the same problem some time ago and I added a line to prevent it happening again:

36 Calculate Force Size

Enter the Purchase Points for each Task Force category on on your Parameter Sheet from (29 to 35)

Total up the Purchase Point Total. That is your Battle Group (including Attached Units) plus the Task Force you have just rolled up.

I've also changed:

28 Large Battle

1-6 No

to

1-6 Normal Battle

to make that clearer.

Thanx for the feedback

Biltong

Originally posted by Peterk:

> Yep - Casualties is a pain - once you hit the

> winter you will see what the German CO's had to > contend with

Just wondering? Was winter really that devastating in the southern front? I know around Moscow it was bad, but I've never heard of it also being bad south of the prippet marshes. Just curious.

Not so sure about that myself... good sources very hard to come by. Read/serached the web/asked the grogs for some input, but even they did not have much. Got a very good idea when snow/blizzards/mud & rain started and ended, but the individual temperatures?? Most good reports centre around battles. Some temperatures I took from other years, e.g.: Stalingrad etc... Lots of pure guesswork. If Moscow had -30 the Kiev had -15... that type of thing... I hope in time some Grogs will question some of the modifiers and come up with more reliable sources. If you have anything please let me know.

Biltong

Originally posted by Biltong:

Not so sure about that myself... good sources very hard to come by. Read/serached the web/asked the grogs for some input, but even they did not have much. Got a very good idea when snow/blizzards/mud & rain started and ended, but the individual temperatures?? Most good reports centre around battles. Some temperatures I took from other years, e.g.: Stalingrad etc... Lots of pure guesswork. If Moscow had -30 the Kiev had -15... that type of thing... I hope in time some Grogs will question some of the modifiers and come up with more reliable sources. If you have anything please let me know.

I've been playing it wrong. I used the casualty factor for attached units only. I did this because

I track my own battle group's casualties separately. My main problem with using casualties for the battle groups is that its highly improbably that a unit will lose 50% of their soldiers in the few days between battles. With the replacement rules, battle losses are replaced almost instantly (one day), why aren't these weather losses also replaced?

One alternate is to reduce the size of the battlegroup for the battle but only count battle casualties as lost. This, however, would require you to record the number of men in each squad both before and after the battle.

Aaron

[ February 20, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

Hello BCR players,

Biltong said to shoot my questions into the

forum. I am trying to learn how to set this thing

up smile.gif Using the player guide I found out how to set my first Parameter Date: June,week 3 day 2

adds up to June 22,1941 the start of Barbarossa.

I understand this smile.gif I think I am on a roll smile.gif

but Parameter 2 I am lost :confused: Battle type.

guess I need to make a choice? Says Use the only

applicable modifier (-4 for June'and circle the

correct box next to 26? sound like you made a choice? How? and what is applicable modifier

(-4 mean :confused:

Sorry for so dumb questions I got lots more smile.gif

Thank's

For any info.

PS rented Video Band of Brothers Vol 1 &2

going to watch will come and check for some

info later

Lane smile.gif