Killing open top tanks w/ mortars - impossible?

I have wasted 80 rounds of 50mm HE trying to KO a PZ-I. I watch the rounds explode BENEATH the tank, but nothing happens. No message indicating a hit of any kind let alone kill the bugger. I realize the blast radius is not huge and it's relatively difficult to put a round in the open top, but I should at least be hitting the dang thing. I mean, the rounds can't explode beneath it without hitting it afterall. Yes, I know, abstractions and what not.

So, before I call it a bug similar to the bug where SdkFz 7/x's couldn't be killed by AP rounds, has anybody been able to KO a open top tank with 50mm mortar fire?

edit: the tank was not moving during the entire time, my mortar team was direct firing half the time, indirect the other half with the target specified directly beneath the tank by toggling vehicles off. Either way, the result was the same.

[ February 21, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Juardis ]

I just ran a quick test for you.

10 German 50mm mortars hidden in woods, targetting an SU-76 and an M5 halftrack stuck in rough 140m away.

Turn 1: Halftrack hit by two 'top penetrations', both of which injured a crewmember and forced the remaining crew to bail out.

SU-76 immobilised by a mortar round and a 'top penetration - no serious damage' was scored.

Turn 2: SU-76 lasts 20 seconds before bailing due to multiple 'top penetration' hits.

One or two actual hits were enough to knock out the enemy vehicle. However, total ammo used:

300 rounds carried (10 mortars x 30 shots each)

158 rounds left

= 142 rounds used to achieve 6 hits on stationary vehicles who were unable to return fire.

ok how crazy is this?

If a tanks commander has the hatch open can the mortar or arty round drop down the hatch and take out the tank?

I have never seen a mortar round KO a close top tank with an open hatch in CMBB, but I am always hopeing to be pleasantly surprised :D

I would think it would be cool if there was a .5% chance (1 shot in 500) that would KO the tank by dropping down an open hatch.

Nay Sayers reply:

Yeah yeah, but the TC is standing in the open hatch so the round would NEVER go down the hatch.

Oh well.... :( it was only an idea :eek:

smile.gif

-tom w

IN CMBB mortar round NEVER KO closed top tanks, panic break or route maybe but not KO, at least I have never seen it.

-tom w

Juardis, is this what you are talking about:

pzjg_i04.jpg

It's called Panzerjäger I, a tank destroyer with 47mm Czech gun. Actual PzKpfw I is armed with two machineguns.

The 50mm mortar is very light, but theoretically you have a chance. Just don't rely on it, better use something heavier. The light mortars are better spent on supressing enemy infantry.

PanzerJeager I, yep, that's it.

My non-grogginess has been revealed. smile.gif

My only problem is that I have NOTHING to kill it with unless I close assault with molotovs. That don't work too well. So I have to rely on the 50mm to get the job done. I'm going to do a test when I get home though. I swear that thing should be dead already.

I am sure someone else will come in with the numbers, but I have seen a number of 80mm or so mortars take out medium tanks (especially the Mark IV). Dont underestimate those 80mm mortars.

I have seen plenty of kills with 50mm or so mortars on Half tracks, and other light tanks. Dont give up hope and dont shoot at them when they are moving!

Chad

Based on my extensive testing of this subject (I did a "Mortar Golf" scenario with lots of immobilized vehicles for targets), 81mm mortars can take out open-topped vehicles and anything with top armor of 10mm or less (such as a Valentine). Armor penetration requires a lucky shot, so don't expect immediate results. Open-topped vehicles are much easier targets.

Dr. Rosenrosen

If you're relying on mortars to do your anti-tank work than you're in worse shape than you think you are...

It's quite possible to KO an open topped or flimsily top armored AFV with mortars but sitting and hoping for successful hits is, IMO, like waiting for lightning to strike down your opponent.

In CMBO, mortars seemed to be deadly accurate against those open topped AFVs.

Originally posted by Juardis:

PanzerJeager I, yep, that's it.

My non-grogginess has been revealed. smile.gif

My only problem is that I have NOTHING to kill it with unless I close assault with molotovs. That don't work too well. So I have to rely on the 50mm to get the job done. I'm going to do a test when I get home though. I swear that thing should be dead already.

Actually close assaulting it is a GOOD bet - you can KO it with small arms fire from the rear, or grenades or molotovs from any aspect.

It has no machine guns, so if it isn't covered my it's own infantry or MG armed tanks I'd go for the close assault!