Nude Centerfolds within (or maybe just a complaint/comment about scenario reviews)!

Now that I have your attention . . .

I have noticed lately that people are not nearly as willing to review CMBB scenarios as they were CMBO scenarios. I thought that it might be my imagination, so I decided to investigate my own submissions and see how they ranked.

I looked up my download and reviews statistics at The Scenario Depot. I have thus far created seven scenarios for CMBB. People have downloaded my scenarios over three thousand times (I believe two of my scenarios appear on the top ten downloads list). One would guess that, if even one in a hundred people whoe downloaded one of my scenarios provided a review, I would have around thirty reviews, right?

Wrong. I have a grand total of 21, and of those, 13 are on one scenario (SL5 - Hill 621), and of those, half are from last October.

Now, I don't think this phenomenon is limited to my experiences. I have noticed many of the new CMBB scenarios have yet to be reviewed. So what is the problem? Scenario authors need your feedback to improve their craft and provide the community with better scenarios.

In other words, GET OUT THERE AND REVIEW!!

Steve

Edited to get your attention, satisfy Seanachai and account for mike the wino!

[ January 29, 2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Did it ever occur to you that some people have better things to do then listen to you?

Did it ever occur to you that you're an idiot? Spkr's right -- people should take time to review scenarios.

It would be interesting to see what the community's response is rather than the inane off-topic twitterings of a halfwit like you, GF.

Now, back to the topic -- I don't play CM nearly as much as others on this board, but I do try to review scenarios when I get the chance. I don't know of any other community that provides so many user-based scenarios for free. I have done PBEM with a few scenario designers, and know that many of them put upwards of forty hours -- or more -- into researching, creating, then testing their scenarios. So why don't people take the time to offer their reviews?

D--

Maybe your scenarios just suck and people are sparing your feelings? ;)

Well, I doubt it, but not everyone plays scenarios the same day, week or even month as they download them - and if the PBEM it will be many months before they may feel ready to review.

Personally, I'd prefer 2 really solid reviews to two dozen one liners that say "good, liked it - overall 6.5" or "really sucked, not fun, 1.1" Those kind don't do anyone any good.

Hey Admiral Keth, here's another idea - how about a 100 character minimum for scenario review comments?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Maybe your scenarios just suck and people are sparing your feelings? ;)

Well, I doubt it, but not everyone plays scenarios the same day, week or even month as they download them - and if the PBEM it will be many months before they may feel ready to review.

Personally, I'd prefer 2 really solid reviews to two dozen one liners that say "good, liked it - overall 6.5" or "really sucked, not fun, 1.1" Those kind don't do anyone any good.

Well, that is entirely true -- though I can't imagine why anyone would feel that sparing MY feelings is a good idea in any instance.

I do agree that detailed reviews are better -- I just am interested in why it seems people gave out more feedback for CMBO than they do CMBB. It seems to have died off since early November.

Steve

[ January 29, 2003, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

I have noticed lately that people are not nearly as willing to review CMBB scenarios as they were CMBB scenarios.

Hmm interesting.

Actually, I had an epiphany-lite just today on this issue; would you like to hear it? Yes? Ok.

I just finished playing a beta-ish scenario which I found to be superlative, so much so that I pondered overcoming my longstanding review-diet and going over to fill out the form. That got me to thinking on why I had long ago thrown up my hands in despair on reviewing, (for many reasons- half of designers loathe the rating system, half don't; many designers say they like negative feedback, but then it turns out they don't...)

Well I realized this: the review itself has two audiences: One, the designer, and Two, other players. Right now, we have to make a review which is suitable for both.

That rules out saying anything truly useful to the designer, because 99% of what I would say in re improvements (imho) would be spoiling for the player. So ultimately, the only scenarios I've reviewed have been those about which I can be universally and nonspecifically laudatory, which might be nice, but doesn't help designers much, I would suppose. I've said this much before, actually.

But what's new is this idea: why not split the two audiences- have one section like it is now, for the players, with only vague statements about whether one liked this aspect or that, and another box which is culled for pickup by the designer, not seen by the public, wherein we would be free to say things inherently spoiling but more to the point of meaningful feedback, like "what the heck was with that tiger hiding in the building" et cetera.

Or should I just get off my lazy butt?

Eden

I WON'T HAVE THIS ON MY WATCH!

No former Squire of mine is going trolling with promises of naked women, while trying to get some sort of sodding reply about his bloody scenario.

BE A MAN, FOR GOD'S SAKE!

The accurate portrayal, rating, and presentation of scenarios benefits us all, fer the love of all that's not Berli

It should be the right of every scenario developer to know what the community did, or did not, like about each and every scenario.

Of course, most of this community isn't fit to tote guts to a bear....

I've played 20 scenarios until now (most from the cd, started B&T scenarios recently) in PBEM and reviewed them all. Unfortunately english isn't my first language so sometimes it's difficult to render all my impressions en finesse . I think non-english speaking players don't review because they simply can't...

Anyway, i always encourage my opponent to review too.

[Edited to add that i have enjoyed most of the scenarios i've played, quality is generally high, many thanks to the authors].

[ January 29, 2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

Originally posted by mike the wino:

Originally posted by MrSpkr

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Edited to get your attention!

...but not to correct this?

I have noticed lately that people are not nearly as willing to review CMBB scenarios as they were CMBB scenarios.

You must be all kinds of pissed off to make this typo. Or are ye too full of drink matey, arrrrggghh. :D </font>

Originally posted by Bertram:

I haven't played all the CD scenario's yet, I am playing RoW, for which I have to write at least 5 AAR's, it will be at least a year before I get to download scenario's and have time to comment on them.

Bertram

Bertram, you can also review the scenarios on the disk at the Depot.

Steve

OK, I did a quick check of Mr Spkr's scenarios at the Depot vs. the ones in my scenario folder and found I'd downloaded four of them but have actually played none of them. So no reviews yet from me. I probably download ten scenarios for every one I play, and designers should realize that's not unusual. I understand that designers want and need feedback--and I try to write as many reviews as possible.

One thought I have is that everyone try to write the FIRST review of some scenario or other, because reviews and ratings tend to beget other reviews and ratings. I remember writing the first review of Wild Bill Wilder's classic "The Wrong Hill,"--which somehow had gone without any ratings for a long time. This seemed to attract a lot of attention. Quickly it started to get other reviews, and it kept posting high numbers, and now has 25 reviews (and an overall rating of 8.53).

So, be a good guy and write the first review of some scenario....Designer should arguably be leaders in reviewing their colleagues stuff. That can help get the ball rolling.

;)

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

[

One thought I have is that everyone try to write the FIRST review of some scenario or other, because reviews and ratings tend to beget other reviews and ratings. I remember writing the first review of Wild Bill Wilder's classic "The Wrong Hill,"--which somehow had gone without any ratings for a long time. This seemed to attract a lot of attention. Quickly it started to get other reviews, and it kept posting high numbers, and now has 25 reviews (and an overall rating of 8.53).

So, be a good guy and write the first review of some scenario....Designer should arguably be leaders in reviewing their colleagues stuff. That can help get the ball rolling.

;) [/QB]

very true

boris

london

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I played "Kursk You, Red Baron".

It made me want to bite people I normally love.

Can I see the nekkid wimmin now?

Ahh Boo, the fine products of Ker Dessel* are not available for general download at The Scenario Depot as AdmiralKeth doesn't seem to have, umm, the proper facilities** for hosting said scenarios.

Pillock.

Steve

*Ker Dessel -- when you want to play CM in the WORST way.

**In other words, no containment tank, isolation facilities, metal tongs, decontamination units, etc.

[ January 29, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I played "Kursk You, Red Baron".

It made me want to bite people I normally love.

Can I see the nekkid wimmin now?

Ahh Boo, the fine products of Ker Dessel* are not available for general download at The Scenario Depot as AdmiralKeth doesn't seem to have, umm, the proper facilities** for hosting said scenarios.

Pillock.

Steve

</font>

Originally posted by Dweezil44:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Did it ever occur to you that some people have better things to do then listen to you?

Did it ever occur to you that you're an idiot? Spkr's right -- people should take time to review scenarios.

It would be interesting to see what the community's response is rather than the inane off-topic twitterings of a halfwit like you, GF.

D-- </font>

Originally posted by Bertram:

I haven't played all the CD scenario's yet, I am playing RoW, for which I have to write at least 5 AAR's, it will be at least a year before I get to download scenario's and have time to comment on them.

Bertram

I'm with you. I haven't downloaded any yet.

But that doesn't excuse those who have.