What games are you playing beside CM?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sergei:

Agua, how come you had UNinstalled CM in the first place? :confused:

Oh, I guess I'm a 'puter performance fanatic and after 6 months or so of not playing it, I deleted it for the imperceptible increase in HD performance. Ridiculous, I know.

Anyway, it's back and was on my HD longer than any game I've had; by a lonngggggggggg way.

I've got the flaming torches at the ready, as always. What's going on?

I play Planetside (an MMOFPS, massively multiplayer online first person shooter) quite a lot, and I'm also a fan of Call of Duty (despite the blow-up-a-Tiger-with-a-stolen-Panzerfaust-by-shooting-at-it's-tracks episodes).

Hi,

“What games are you playing beside CM?”

well…the short answer is none.

I do search the net constantly for new games that might take my imagination/come up to standard… but none do. I buy quite a few, but they always disappoint when compared to CM.

Having said that I have played around a bit with the Panzer Campaigns/Modern Campaigns games from John Tiller. They do what they do very well. So when I do try other games it is the operational games from Tiller that I play.

However… I have just re-launched on playing CMBB and it has confirmed my view that CM is simply in another stratosphere to all other games. Nothing, but nothing comes close. All very odd when you consider how long CM has now been around. Truth is that other developers just cannot meet the challenge set by CM.

We even have a new engine to look forward to in not too distant future:)

All the best,

Kip.

PS. A couple of years ago I did buy and play il2sturmovik. It too does what it does outstandingly. The problem was that once I had taught myself to fly and do ground attacks and such, I lost interest. There was no intellectual challenge. The fun of ground warfare is that every battle is different. The environment is so complex there are always a new challenges.

I'm currently going through Hidden & Dangerous II the second time on hard. The best WWII FPS out there in my eyes. Graphics are the best by a great margin, and the love to detail makes it more a piece of Art then a game (Well when compared to crap like MOH or COD). It's the only WWII FPS to my knowing which incorporates some tactical aspects (ambushes, timed actions and the like..).

Rarely doing some racing with DTM (Toca 2) or EA's F1 2002, and on and on some CMBB, though i'm now really tired by the hopeless AI and some flaws (Lack of operational level, no Campaign mode (which would be sooo easy to do, if only the Programmers could jump over their shadows... -> they have to know they are playing in a niche field but can really count on a very committed userbase(Modders, Scenario-editors and the like), which they leave out in the open for the most part), one only remembers the great Campaign Project for CMBO(which was to complicated to manage). I'm really looking forward and wait for the new CM-engine.

Several CMAK PBEMs, and an overly ambitious modding project for the PzC:N44 campaign. Martyr - do you have N44 and would you be interested in a PBEM with a n00b?

Other than those two, I spend a lot of time playing blocks and horsies with my daughters ;)

I am too cheap to be on the cutting edge. But I am enjoying Rise of Nations now (though I am generally not a real time player).

I go back to Kampfgruppe and a war in russia game that predates that and was played on our Atari 800 computer. Can't remember the name of it, but it was tough to beat.

Oh and Tanktics (I think that was the name). Used a board and counters and a computer program to move units and resolve attacks.