What games are you playing beside CM?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been playing anything but CMBB on PC or console lately. But when I do, it's mostly Prince of Persia or NHL with my brother (on his occasional visits).

And I love the old adventure games, too.

On the other hand, a few days ago I played a game of chess against my uncle, who is pretty good player. But guess what - I won. Thanks to Combat Mission I was seeing the situations much clearer than before (which would be about 1,5 years ago, when I used to lose against any mediocre chess-player).

Although, we were very drunk, too. (Hey, what can I say, we're Finnish.)

Just wondering, what is the game "PG" that a lot of people seem to be mentioning?

I may have missed a good one it seems.

One answer for Screeny's question, I have found a lot of older games work best under Win95. That is one reason I have a duel boot system with Win95.

Raven Shield ,online play is oustanding. Also play IL-2 Forgotten battles online and SP. Tried Call of Duty for a time but the run and gun tatics are so bad, I like the way clans of Call of Duty think thier playing a realistic game as they run around spraying MG fire in every direction. hehe NOT!! FF being on does not = realistic game play dorks.

Originally posted by Screeny:

mhh too happy too soon :(

Does that Windows 95 version of PG can be made working under Windows XP ?

or is it absolutly necassy to have a win95 system running?

[edited to offer a more detailed explanation]

I had trouble with it too, but it worked OK after I edited the shortcut properties to: Windows 95 compatibility mode and 256 colours.

I.e. you find FG.EXE in the game folder and in Properties screen you change Compatibility to 'Windows 95' and '256 colours'.

[ May 30, 2004, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Glider ]

hey hi all, I ben not playing CM fo some time

because im at

Call of Duty

Ghost recon "lot of cheaters in this game"

Raven Shield 3 "best on coop"

Hidden & Dangerous 2 "which they fix that

running zig zag with some patch"

Americas Army

im waiting for strategic command 2

so I tink this makes me a shooter player :D

Medieval : Total War (and Shogun too, out of nostalgia as Medieval is much better - can't wait for Rome)

Silent Storm

Panzer General 3D

Dominions 2

X-COM (the first, the true, the one and only)

VietCong

Oh, and agreed, Planescape is definitely the best RPG ever (along with Fallout, of course)

Originally posted by Glider:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Screeny:

mhh too happy too soon :(

Does that Windows 95 version of PG can be made working under Windows XP ?

or is it absolutly necassy to have a win95 system running?

[edited to offer a more detailed explanation]

I had trouble with it too, but it worked OK after I edited the shortcut properties to: Windows 95 compatibility mode and 256 colours.

I.e. you find FG.EXE in the game folder and in Properties screen you change Compatibility to 'Windows 95' and '256 colours'. </font>

My three favorite games are Combat Mission (I include all three installments under the name) and...

Rowan's Battle of Britain: Less well known than IL-2 and much less accessible it is never the less -the- best simulation of World War II air war. The flight models are all incredibly realistic and difficult to fly, and the AI ranges in qualities from rookie to ace, etc. It's just so damned immersive. There's nothing quite like taking off with the 66th Fighter Squadron, Spitfires, from Biggin Hill on September 7, 1940 and meeting over 900 German planes heading for London being attacked by 300 Royal Air Force fighters. And they're all on screen at once duking it out. And that kind of battle happens all the time. In fact the majority of fighting you're going to see in Battle of Britain will be between at least 100 aircraft. Or maybe you'll find a small flight roaming around and jump them. Also am particularly fond of flying for the Luftwaffe as a Messershmitt Bf109 pilot in July 1940 and engaging the RAF in pitches battles over the english channel. Man I love that game.

The other I play is Operation Flashpoint which is a war simulator containing infantry, armor, and aerial forces. There are all sorts of modifications for it now that allow you to play all sorts of roles. U.S. soldier on D-Day, Marine Vietnam, Gulf War, etc etc. It's the most realistic game depiction of infantry combat I've ever played and I love it to death.

Besides that I have rows and rows of old Playstation and Playstation 2 games I never get a chance to play anymore, but they're all very fun :).

Originally posted by Glider:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />...I tried that in Win XP Pro but got a dialogbox telling me that it couldn't find WinG32.dll

I moved it to my Windows disk (C:) but that didn't help.

True, I had the same problem (I forgot about that one smile.gif )

I downloaded WinG32.dll from DLL World ( http://dll.yaroslavl.ru/ ) and placed it in the Windows\system32 folder. </font>

I am playng

CMAK

CMBB

Korsun Pocket (mostly Ardennes Offensive right now)

and City of Heroes for the mindless violence.

Tried Total War: Medieval, but it was to unhistorical for me. To much "playability", not enough historical behaviour.

Try HTTR now and then, but the troops still have to much "odd"behaviour. Nice idea, but not there yet.

Got IL2, but I haven't got the time to spend to get good enough tfor it to be fun.

Bertram

Rowan's Battle of Britain: Less well known than IL-2 and much less accessible it is never the less -the- best simulation of World War II air war. The flight models are all incredibly realistic and difficult to fly, and the AI ranges in qualities from rookie to ace, etc. It's just so damned immersive. There's nothing quite like taking off with the 66th Fighter Squadron, Spitfires, from Biggin Hill on September 7, 1940 and meeting over 900 German planes heading for London being attacked by 300 Royal Air Force fighters. And they're all on screen at once duking it out. And that kind of battle happens all the time. In fact the majority of fighting you're going to see in Battle of Britain will be between at least 100 aircraft. Or maybe you'll find a small flight roaming around and jump them. Also am particularly fond of flying for the Luftwaffe as a Messershmitt Bf109 pilot in July 1940 and engaging the RAF in pitches battles over the english channel. Man I love that game.
It was a very sad day when Rowan was no longer in the flight sim market. Something they did better than any other flight sim company was immersion. Their graphics weren't usually the best, their flight models often felt 'twitchy' (more realistic, many would say) and the games could sometimes have a sort of strange 'quirky' feel to them compared to other, seemingly more polished, sims, but for making you feel you were actually there they had no peers. Mig Alley is still one of my favourite flight sims ever, and argubly the best dogfighting experience to be had on a PC.

I'd recommend Day of Defeat, a Half-Life mod.

Crappy installation, moderately stable software, not at all user friendly as far as tweaking is concerned, way too many cheats, but if you can manage to join cool down-to-earth players, the best gameplay around, hands down. (for a FPS, that is) And with microphones on the net, you get some real good adrenaline fixes, I'll tell you that ! :cool: No power pack, no multiple-clips-between-the-eyes survival and a good clean and lethal MP 44.

Too bad the online FPS community isn't as civilized as this one. I get tired of name calling and insult rather quickly.

In any case, no matter how good a FPS is, I still go for CM. Best, all around. Period. tongue.gif

Cheers

:: Tarkus ::

• 1 month later...