Bad news for modders and mod sluts from www.cmmods.com (Monday, Oct. 6th Update)

I hate to report this, but I've had a catestophic HD failure on the cmmods server.

I (and the Linux guru I hired to fix it) think that a sector may have gone bad on the drive. 8 out of 10 drive partitions can be accessed, but of course the 2 I need (boot and data) are not working. Yes, I did have it backed up to another drive, but guess what? That was the drive I was swapping earlier and it was wiped clean yesterday. What timing, huh?

I had a Linux wizard (I hope he's a wizard for the $$$ I'm paying him!) come to my house to work on it and he had to take the drive back to his lab to try and recover the data. I should know today what the outcome is.

Worst case: I've lost everything for CM and have to rebuild the website from scratch.

Best case: The drive is fixed without losing any data.

As you can imagine, I feel like I want to puke. I've got 100's of hours of development time invested in the server and would ***REALLY*** hate to see it lost over something like this. Besides cmmods, I've also lost my other website and, most importantly, my primary email address.

I feel bad that all of you dedicated modders and sluts are losing your website. If I can get it back, the first thing I'm doing is getting another drive (sigh, more $$$) and setting up a RAID mirror so this doesn't happen again.

As soon as I hear something, I'll let all of you know. Thanks for understanding.

COG

[ October 06, 2003, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst case: I've lost everything for CM and have to rebuild the website from scratch.

Best case: The drive is fixed without losing any data.

Doooh ! Freaky situation :eek: :(

I would prefer the 2nd case... ...because some of my mods are preserved in YOUR hardrive : I don't have a copy anymore :rolleyes:

Doooh again ! :mad:

That's nothing Sir, I will re-do everthing better ;) !

Don't know how good your Linux Wizard is, but it's always good to have a back up (no pun intended):

http://www.drivesavers.com/

http://www.ontrack.com/

and there are others.

Here's to hoping the data can be recovered.

Speaking of backups, you might want to consider a CD or DVD burner. Blanks are very cheap, and it takes just a few minutes every once in a while.

Phemur

I feel your pain.

I already lost my HD's contents three times.

Once all the music and audio data, almost all compositions i've made over eight years were gone and the second time, i lost my diploma-thesis, that was around 80% finished... :rolleyes:

I had been in CERN for three months for that project and all the data i collected (some expensive experiments) were gone.

I wish you all the best, that the data can be recovered, but if not, you've learned a lot...

Think positive.

It's not your life you've lost. Only a part of it. ;)

On the bright side...and I mean this sincerely as I have gone through similar cases - if all is lost, it gives you a chance to start from scratch and incorporate changes you wanted to make but were too much work to change in the existing structure and so you had little impetus to do it...

Hope it works out, we'll watch with fingers crossed and positive waves flowing...

I think this is the worst week that I've had in years. Monday a clamp holding an ez curl bar on a low pulley snaps and I whack myself in the forehead. My eye is turning black now and I still have a knot on the bridge of my nose.

Yesterday my full-time employer says that they can't afford a full-time web developer, so I'll have to go back to contract on an as-needed basis. That's going to hurt a good bit.

Now this!!!!!

Astrologers, is it the planet alignments, something in the stars? Or is it just dumb luck.

I think I'm off to back up my web site now.....

Originally posted by BigDork:

Ouch! :eek:

Well I haven't used the site too much personally but when it's back up I'll be sending ya a few bucks. The site is a true asset to the CM community and you put in a lot of hard work and time for all of us. It's the least I can do.

BigDork is quite right. Give some money to COG for his very hard work and his very important contribution to the CM community is, IMO, the very least we can all do for him ! (Yeah, I said !)

Shame on me : I didn't give anything via his Paypal link... :(

So, as soon as this black clouds over COG's head will disappear, I promise to donate something... ...what about a piece of Roquefort ? :D

Courage COG ;)

Originally posted by GJK:

I think this is the worst week that I've had in years. Monday a clamp holding an ez curl bar on a low pulley snaps and I whack myself in the forehead. My eye is turning black now and I still have a knot on the bridge of my nose.

Yesterday my full-time employer says that they can't afford a full-time web developer, so I'll have to go back to contract on an as-needed basis. That's going to hurt a good bit.

Now this!!!!!

Astrologers, is it the planet alignments, something in the stars? Or is it just dumb luck.

I think I'm off to back up my web site now.....

Dude, I'm so right there with you... here's how my life has been the past week.

1. Found out my wife has Rheumatoid Lung (bronciectisys(sp?)) and must be on Prednisone (powerful steroid) for 3-12 months which will cause things like 30#-40# weight gain, cataracts, permanent bone denisty loss, etc, etc, etc. (This may be considered GOOD news since it could have been bronciectitis and that would have killed her in 5-10 years).

2. Found out that my job (Lotus Notes consulting) is being eliminated Nov. 14. Ever try to find an IT job in Nov-Dec?? They don't exist...

3. cmmods, et. al., crashes and I MAY (fingers still crossed) lose 500-700 hours worth of work, not to mention all the graphics/pics I created or saved on the drive. AND, I actually have to pay someone to fix my server. I have *NEVER*, in my entire life, let the computer beat me, but yesterday I finally gave in to it. ;)

It's all my fault really. I told my wife after I found out about my job and her health that IT CAN'T GET WORSE, ONLY BETTER. That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done. :rolleyes:

Sigh.... my only hope is that my Linux guru can come through and save the day for me. He's a nice guy (just lost his real job as network manager last week too) and since they charge by the hour, he keeps reminding me that it may cost a little more to save the drive and/or data. What he doesn't know is that I'd pay $500, or maybe more, to get that data back. Wonder what my wife will think of CM now?? :D

COG

hey man, where do I send the check? ;)

I know that I have every mod i made (all 121) all backed up onto CD and I have 3-5 CD's of other people's mods (mostly the most popular ones...) backed up in case my HD ever goes down the tubes. I'm sure that we, as a community, can quickly get cmmods.com back up and running quickly even if you have to start fresh.

And if you need any coding help, consider this a free offer, I'm out-of-work-IT as well (15 months now :mad: ) and I'd be glad to contribute some time to one of my favorite sites.

Zimorodok

I don't mean to speak ill of the dead. Especially when the dead (hard drive) belongs to a helpful volunteer, but the painfully slow download speeds from CMMODS.com already had me thinking along these lines.

What if everybody volunteered? I did a search on file sharing and came up with this thread Maybe now is the time to investigate this further.