Give us some ideas

It's probably already in, but if not we definitely need a Snipe scenario. Part of the 2nd Alamein, it should consist of an isolated group of the British Rifle Brigade and AT guns conducting an all round defense against a sizeable Panzer force. The sting in the tail for the Panzers is that it is the first time that the 6pdr AT gun is deployed, and it made quite an impact historically.

I'd also like to see a Ghirba scenario, which may or may not be any fun depending on the game engine. A very large Italian lorried infantry column is ambushed by British Armored Cars, and the Italians dismount and (incredibly) form a large square of infantry in the middle of an open plain. There were light AT guns in each corner of the square, so they have some slight chance, but the real battle was a massacre.

For a mini series of battles I would recommend the vital Keren campaign in East Africa 1/41-5/41. For the main part of the campaign you would see good quality Italian units defending on the top of high mountains against British, Indian and South African troops attacking up very steep slopes. It was victory in this campaign which opened up the Red Sea and made the Desert campaign possible. IMO it would make an interesting change to flat desert battles, the TO&E must already be there, and there are some steep mountains in the Italy screenies, so if BFC have allowed steep terrain for Africa as well then it should all be feasible.

[ September 29, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: The Green Rascal ]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, CAN we have Allies vs Vichy French battles in CMAK? I still can't tell if this is an option. Can someone fill me in? If so, then let's see some of those US vs French tank battles that occurred in those French colonies. Crank out as many of these as you can, nothing beats variety IMHO.

Next tell me if there can be Vichy French vs Free French scenarios. These will be interesting, I'm sure.

Last, if there are KTs in CMAK (hope so)then let's see as many remade CMBO gems converted to CMAK. Then my CM appetite will be sated long enough to await CMx2.

That enough for you?

Bill, by the way, I still have those early SL mods you designed back in the early 80s. Remember them? :D

1. Already mentioned - the hypothetical axis 1942 attack on Malta. I think that's what Ramke's paras were originally intended for.

2. Also the Brit move into Syria where the French Foreign Legion had units on both sides.

3. Or the almost forgotten Brit vs Italian fighting in Somalia neck of the woods.

4. US vs French in the Torch landings.

5. Also even though not in theater, the Italian terrain could be used to do battles in the Vosges area of 44/45. And Jan 45 Operation Norwind.

Ok, so now we've probably flooded you with more ideas than you really wanted! smile.gif

Originally posted by Firefly:

I'd be very surprised if a Beda Fomm scenario isn't one of the scenarios on the disk. I don't have any inside kmowledge, but virtually every game that has featured the Desert War in the past has covered it.

I am nearly certain one is in, but something with the dreadfully underused exit points would work very good here IMO.

Something I would really like is a Australian night 'patrol'. They seemed to have made quite a reputation for themselves in a very short time.

I have dozens of battles I would like to see (parts of) but I have faith that most will be included anyway. A request for a Kidney Ridge scenario would be kinda pointless, I'm sure. ;)

[ September 29, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Tweety ]

I've been reading Rick Atkinson's book "Army at Dawn" and his description of some of the early battles as the Allied forces marched west into Tunisia (Nov-January 1943) describes quite a few battles which seem to be perfect scale for CMAK. Many are relatively small, company up to batallion sized battles.

Originally posted by Wicky:

Can't think of the exact name of the 'battle' but it was an Italian rout, a British force went cross country as a short cut and got a few guns and troops ahead of the retreating force and ambushed the Italians. Later tanks caught up and forced a wopping great surrender. happaned just by a coastal road which limited the Italian manouerability.

Wicky, have you met Tweety?

Originally posted by Tweety:

Something based around Beda Fomm would be nice. There aren't too many scenarios wich use exit point, this battle could be a great excuse. Italians trying to flood past the roadblock. Oh yeah!!!

I'd like to see some scenarios featuring the not-so-common nationalities and force. OK, so sue me, I'm a Kiwi, but things involving NZ, South African, Polish or Free French troops would be nice to see. Or maybe a couple of semi-historical SAS type raids of Axis rear areas.

I'd like to see a Malta invasion scenario too, it would be great to see Folgore and Ramcke's paras fighting in that island.

My grandfather's Inf. Division ("Superga") had to land there by planes, but instead it was sent in Tunisia.

Then, I'd like some battles in Eastern Africa or some unknown small scale battles, commandos and the like, especially early-war battles.

Armoured Div. "Ariete" and CC.NN. at Bir-El-Gobi or Giarabub garrison fighting against all odds.

Well, I just think that many scenarios will be created afterward, as there are so many references and battle maps of that campaign.

Romolo, è la prima volta che vedo un Romano qui sul Forum! Ciao!

Bir Hakeim, Libya, May - June 1942: The Legion Etrangere vs The Entire Freakin' Afrika Korps! (at least, to hear them tell it).

Actually, the action in and around the Gazala Line during Rommel's Operation Venezia (of which Bir Hakeim was a part) provide plenty of scenario material: The tank battles around the "Knightsbridge Box" (Grants vs PzIII Jlang), and the Brit counter-attack into the "Cauldron" come to mind.

I would really like to know, how German Fallschirmjäger were able to take Crete from the dug in Brits away.

Operation pls!

I would also like to play Obersturmbannführer Otto Skorzeny's liberation of the Duce, but have no idea, how it could be transferred into a CM-scenario, without Gliders and civilians... :rolleyes:

I'm also very interested, how Rommel achieved his success in North Africa on the tactical level and last but not least,

the defending of Italy against total Alliied air-superiority.

[ September 30, 2003, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

Originally posted by atiff:

I'd like to see some scenarios featuring the not-so-common nationalities and force. OK, so sue me, I'm a Kiwi, but things involving NZ, South African, Polish or Free French troops would be nice to see. Or maybe a couple of semi-historical SAS type raids of Axis rear areas.

I would love to do scenarios about uncommon forces. Unfortunately, resources are limited-thought alot less so than for CMBB. In any case, if you happen to have something handy, send it to a designer. Most cases we can work with ya.

WWB

Originally posted by Wicky:

Can't think of the exact name of the 'battle' but it was an Italian rout, a British force went cross country as a short cut and got a few guns and troops ahead of the retreating force and ambushed the Italians. Later tanks caught up and forced a wopping great surrender. happaned just by a coastal road which limited the Italian manouerability.

Beda Fomm. To be done properly, this would have to be an operation since the fighting extended over a couple of days.

Michael

[ September 30, 2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by tooz:

Well, CAN we have Allies vs Vichy French battles in CMAK?

If so, we should certainly have some battles set in Syria. The Vichy forces proved more determined fighters against their former allies than they did against the Germans the year before.

Michael

[ September 30, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by dalem:

I have to reiterate the call for something small. Even an Op based on small battles would be fine. I don't like to play with much more than a company + support very often.

-dale

I second the nomination for smaller scenarios or ops. The big ones are definitely deeper strategically, but sometimes I don't have time to spend 20 minutes on each PBEM move. And when I do have time, I like to have 2 or 3 games going on, usually one big entree one with lots of troops, and one or two appetizers (desserts?) with fewer troops.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Guest BigAlMoho

Anything involving the 1st Armored Division at Anzio...

or anywhere on up the Italian peninsula for that matter...

[ September 30, 2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: BigAlMoho ]

Small Battles? Yep they will be coming to CMAK. Small battles are scenarios that usually range from 'small' to the lowest range of 'medium' in size.

A series of small battles? Yep, 'Sardinian Wars' will be a series of small battles set in a fictional invasion of Sardinia with a common 'historical' strand.

'Italian Advance' will be an operation using a small level of troops (between reinforced platoon to company(-)) over 8 battles.

There will also be a large scale Spanish Civil war campaign operation plus a host of SCW small battles.

There are also planned some anti-partisan and other RSI (Republic of Salo) battles.

A new series of small battles will be set in 1948 and 1956, Blood Clash. Blood clash will be small battles set in the Arab-Israeli wars of that date.

Plus a few odd pieces such as, Gran Chaco, Greek Civil War, Korean, Yemen 1961, Algerian Civil war, Cypriote CW, Mau Mau (anywhere WWII equipment was used) etc.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of helpful responses, just a laundry list of place names and favourite nationalities.

How about:

Royal 22e Regiment at Casa Berardi? This was an understrength Canadian battalion assaulting an isolated farmhouse during the fighting around Ortona in December 1943. One company commander won the Victoria Cross for his actions here; which included actions against enemy tanks.

Sources you can check are: D-DAY DODGERS: THE CANADIANS IN ITALY 1943-45 by Daniel Dancocks, ORTONA by Mark Zuehlke and the Official History of the Canadian Army in Italy by Gerald Nicholson. I am sure the regimental history of the Van Doos would help also, if you can read French!

There were a couple of ASL modules released by a third party dealing with Cassino and the Polish troops there. I have one of them and there are certainly some interesting situations to convert; I don't imagine this is an option for the scenario designers at BTS, but may prove interesting for Boots and Tracks or the like to revisit.

With the new terrain scale of 8m, would be nice to have "scaling" but I get the feeling this will not be in the game? Either way, the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment's action at Assoro might be interesting. They scaled a cliff in the middle of the night and found themselves on top of a mountain with a castle and a German garrison. Could start the action at this point; the assault consisted of a single hand-picked company if memory serves.

The action at Grammichele is also interesting; elements of the Hasty Ps with tank support faced off against German panzergrenadiers in the town. You could model one company's actions there. Check out D-Day Dodgers, but also AND NO BIRDS SANG as well as THE REGIMENT for info on these actions.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

I would also like to play Obersturmbannführer Otto Skorzeny's liberation of the Duce, but have no idea, how it could be transferred into a CM-scenario, without Gliders and civilians... :rolleyes:

Major Mors

Skorzeny was along for the ride, and almost screwed the mission up

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Steiner14:

Major Mors

Skorzeny was along for the ride, and almost screwed the mission up </font>