Where is KV-VI Behemoth?

I'd settle for T-28s. T-35s would be nice too!

That sure is one heck of a model, though. Turning radius, heck - it's amazing the thing could turn at all! Reading the description, I was constantly wondering "Is this real?" If not, it's well done - the gory end met by each one was certainly believable.

Oh yea, quite real. In fact, it was originally manned by jack-a-lopes. At first it was thought these furry creatures, resembling bunnies with antelope horns, would be best suited for tank service as their horns would protect their skull from banging around inside the tank. The Russians were well aware of the German hamster-truppen and were looking for a viable counter.

Unfortunately, after several mishaps, the concept of the jack-a-lope as an effective tank crew was abondoned. Problems included the need to constantly stop and graze, sometimes in the middle of battle, poking each other in the eye with their horns and the difficulty getting in, and back out, of the hatches.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

Oh yea, quite real. In fact, it was originally manned by jack-a-lopes. At first it was thought these furry creatures, resembling bunnies with antelope horns, would be best suited for tank service as their horns would protect their skull from banging around inside the tank. The Russians were well aware of the German hamster-truppen and were looking for a viable counter.

Unfortunately, after several mishaps, the concept of the jack-a-lope as an effective tank crew was abondoned. Problems included the need to constantly stop and graze, sometimes in the middle of battle, poking each other in the eye with their horns and the difficulty getting in, and back out, of the hatches.

:D

And another one:

rotfl.gif

Read the dimensions:

Crew: 15 men and one Commissar

Length: 51 feet, 4 inches

Height: 15 feet, 3 inches Width: 10 feet, 10 inches

Height/tower raised: 37 feet, 8 inches Weight: 138 tons

Engine: 3 X V-2 at 600 horsepower each Max Speed: 13 mph

Max Range: 98 miles road; 43 miles cross country

Armor: 160mm maximum; 7mm minimum

Armament: 2 X 152mm; 2 X 76.2mm; 1 X 45mm; 2 X 12.7mm DShK; 2 X 7.62mm Maxim; 14 X 7.62mm DT; 16 X BM-13 Rockets; 2 X Model 1933 Flamethrowers

The 3 highlighted items are the tip off. How the hell are you going to get all that crap into 51 feet? And what would the ground pressure be? :eek:

Amazing! The description from Superhero's link reminded me of the Monty Python bit of Swamp Castle: "...but the fourth prototype"

smile.gif

The first prototype was completed in December 1941 and was rushed into the defense of Moscow. In its first action during a dense winter fog, the rear turret accidentally fired into the center turret. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The second prototype was completed in January 1942, and was sent to the Leningrad front. This one had indicators installed to show whe another turret was in the line of fire. In its initial attack on the Germans, the tank broke in half when crossing a ravine. A spark ignited the leaking flamethrower fuel and the resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The third prototype, shown here, had a reinforced hull and was also sent to the Leningrad front in early 1942. It did manage to shoot down three German aircraft. In its first ground engagement, the KV-VI was firing on German positions when coincidentally all of the guns fired from the 3 O'Clock position a the same time. The tremendous recoil tipped the tank into a ditch and the severe jostling set off the 152mm ammunition, which completely destroyed the vehicle. After these failures, Stalin cancelled the project, and many of the design team members spent the rest of their lives in the Gulags of Sibera. The KV-VI was nicknamed "Stalin's Orchestra" by the few Germans that encountered it because of the variety of weapons it deployed.

Originally posted by Amedeo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperHero:

someone have any of those books mentioned at the end of the page?

I think you can find a copy of each of them at the Miskatonic University Library ;)

Regards,

A. </font>

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

I think the Katjusha's were the give-away: I couldn't believe a front line tank with otherwise pretty short-range weapons would have exposed rockets strapped in the back. (And don't start with the Sherman / Calliope connection tongue.gif )

Well some of the Russian Armoured Motor Gunboats had T34/76 turrets at the front and RS82's on hte rear, so it's not entirely unheard of.

But I don't think this vehicle will readily float........except in a bathtub of course.

I saw a copy of the reference works in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" my kids have just watched - or at least I think that's what those flying pigs were reading ;)

Originally posted by Andreas:

I really want to get this book. I love 1st person accounts ;)

Dreadful Din on the Eastern Front, Erich Maria Remarque Jr.; Podzun Verlag; 1951

There was an early 1960's French film that was believed to be based on it, but as it was directed by Jean-Luc Goddard, no-one's quite sure.

Originally posted by Hawk:

I've seen this model before, but I'm almost certain it didn't have that rocket pack then.

Someone has been tweaking his lill' project, I think... ;)

That is the natural progression of Communism Comrade. Adding a rocket launcher shows the dialectic dynamism of the vibrant nature of Marxist military technology development over the decrepit backwardness of capitalist stooge engineers dabbling in developing weaponry to safeguard the spoils of oppression received from their unbarred exploitation of the workers and peasants of this world.