Hi-Res Sky Mod Posted at CMMODS

I've posted a few hi-res sky mods at CMMODS. The textures are made using Terragen.

The clear day is my favorite of the bunch, with almost unnoticeable dithering:

sample_clear_day.jpg

Dawn:

sample_dawn.jpg

Dusk: May be too "peachy," I may redo this one if I have enough time.

sample_dusk.jpg

Overcast (light coloured). This is my first attempt at the overcast. I like the way the raindrops realistically blend to the sky, but I think it is to light, especially during dawn/dusk overcast scenarios. This version is not posted at cmmods.

sample_overcast_light.jpg

Overcast. This is a darkened version of the previous one. The rain still blend to the sky to some extent. For some reason I think this version is the best for the snowy times.

sample_overcast.jpg

Overcast (Dark). This version is less blueish and imitates the colour scheme of the original skies.

sample_overcast_dark.jpg

Can't Resist: I've "found" some wartime photos and it seems that world war 2 armies did adopt my clear day mod. :D

screenshot_bw.jpg

German Panzers just after taking out a Soviet tank in southern Russia, June 1943. The Russians lost 1 KV-1 and 3 T-34 in this tank battle. The Panzer on the left was credited with two kills.

Thx Undaunted, outstanding work! I really love the clear sky version.

And the b&w screenie looks nice, too.

Here's one of mine, already with your new sky (although you don't see much of it here... ;) ).

CM2.jpg

Edited 'cause I like the 2nd version better...

[ October 23, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Gautrek: Have posted at the modding forum.

Panzerman: I've re-uploaded the overcast version at cmmods. I tested downloading this twice, first time I got a corrupted zip, and the second time it's ok. I am not sure why this happened :( , my only suggestion is to try to download it again.

Mr. Die Easy: I'm not sure if that's possible, given that the sky bitmaps are used and organized differently. CMBO uses one bmp for the whole sky, where CMBB uses three.

Originally posted by Undaunted:

Mr. Die Easy: I'm not sure if that's possible, given that the sky bitmaps are used and organized differently. CMBO uses one bmp for the whole sky, where CMBB uses three.

If you discover an easy way to convert one of the bmps to a sky in CMBO do not hesitate to tell us. I would love to use your mod in CMBO too. smile.gif

Mr. Die Easy

The two overcast sets are alternative skies so you have to choose between them. However, you can use one version for say snowy scenarios and the other for summer scenarios and so on. See the readme file to find out which bitmaps you need. For example to use the plain overcast sky for snowy scenarios use the 1413.bmp, 1433.bmp and 1453.bmp (overcast-snowy-east, north, west respectively) from that zip file.

As for using the bitmaps for CMBO I don't have CMBO installed and don't know which bitmap is for which sky. But I can tell you how to combine the 3-bmp sky into a 1-bmp complete sky (which iirc is needed for cmbo).

Use paintbrush to append the 3 bmps (eg. 1400.bmp, 1420.bmp, 1440.bmp for summer clear day sky) into in the following order:

[east sky][north sky®][west sky][north sky]

where north sky® is a horizontally flipped version of the north sky. The resulting bitmap would be 4096(!) x 512. You may need to somehow shift the bitmap left or right to get the right orientation, and find out what is the bmp number for that sky in cmbo.

Installed them yummy skies on my Mac with ATI AGP Retail Radeon 32mb but they failed to work (went psychadelic). I remember installing a previous release of hi-res skies and the same thing occured.

Is it just me or has anyone else on a Mac had similar problems?

(Writing this I think I'll try a little experiment and convert the Hi-res skies to the default BMPs resolution and see what happens).

edit: Yup knocking them back down to 1024x256 @72dpi from 2048x512 @ 96dpi gets them up and away - shame there's now some subtle banding :(

[ October 27, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by Wicky:

Is it just me or has anyone else on a Mac had similar problems?

edit: Yup knocking them back down to 1024x256 @72dpi from 2048x512 @ 96dpi gets them up and away - shame there's now some subtle banding :(

Yeah I had that problem... good to know there is a way to fix it without having to reinstall or have someone dig up the default bmps.