Combat mission wont work on my Atari .

I see that some people have had problems running Combat Mission with windows xp .I think it is shocking that they did not take into acount future operating systems. I would now like to complain about the fact that Combat Missions won't work on my Atari . Hell it won't even fit into the slot . This can not be tolerated. I am now going to see if it runs on my C-64 . ;):D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

It works with my Intellivision! Unfortunately, my controllers don't work anymore. :( <hr></blockquote>

You had an Intellivision too. When ever the question comes around what was the 1st system a person has played, I say my trusty old Intellivision, and everyone looks at me like I am crazy because they never heard of it. Seriously I have never met a person who has known what one is.

I started with Pong, but gave up on it because the mods were few and far between. Then I got an Atari 2600 when the price dropped to $50. That was my first major entertainment purchase. The kid across the street had an Intellivision, but I didn't really like it except for some wargame that featured moving subs around the globe. You had to use the keypad, which made no sense to me. If it didn't have a joystick I didn't want it. FF to Combat Mission.

CM will run on my Mac Plus that I converted to a fishbowl three years ago. It took quite a bit of work to convert it to text mode, though, and I still haven't gotten the Allies to use tungsten ammo when they're supposed to. Here's an example, in which a Pz Ausf G (late) encounters an M4A3(75) Sherman. You'll need to copy and paste it into a new post in order to see it correctly in monospace text.

i=>----- --ro

oooooo> /ooooo

/

i=>----- < => --ro

oooooo> \ /ooooo

o

--r

i=>----- o

oooooo> /o ooo

i=>-----

oooooo> --r /o ooo oo

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Did that keyboard ever actually get used for ANYTHING on the intellivision??

<hr></blockquote>

I think part of the problem was the 60 point font size they used for text. I seem to remember you could only fit about 4 lines on screen at a time.

P.S.--That Sea Battle game kicked butt. Probably the best game they ever made and one of the first.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tero:

This is slighly off-topic:

I was strictly a C-64 / PC guy until I found this Apple II retro site:

http://a2war.theunderdogs.org/emul.htm

I am happy to report the emulators work also under NT. ;)

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: tero ]<hr></blockquote>

Sure, the program emulates the Apple II games alright but how do I scale back the amount of colors on my monitor from 16,000,000 to 4? smile.gif

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Sure, the program emulates the Apple II games alright but how do I scale back the amount of colors on my monitor from 16,000,000 to 4? smile.gif

No need to adjust the monitor. The emulators do all that for you automatically. :D

I have found out that keeping to B/W setting looks and works better than trying to use colours. Reminds me when I played my C-64 games with a B/W TV (anybody old enough around here to remember them ? smile.gif )

Originally posted by Mace:

Err, anyone know how to port CM over to an abacus?

That has proven virtually impossible. With abacus there is little or no room for randomness in the calculations (except if you count in errors as being random).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tero:

Originally posted by Mace:

[qb]Err, anyone know how to port CM over to an abacus?

That has proven virtually impossible. With abacus there is little or no room for randomness in the calculations (except if you count in errors as being random).[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

You just have to model the rest of the computer which CM is running on and grab the random numbers however that system happens to do it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

You'll need to copy and paste it into a new post in order to see it correctly in monospace text.<hr></blockquote>

Funny. Like as in big ha ha!

But when I clipped and pasted it into a text editor, and switched to courier, the empty spaces didn't follow along. I've noticed the BBS doesn't like to let you put empty spaces or line breaks in. So I couldn't see it properly till I hit 'reply' to your post and watched it in the little reply window.

Don't know if it's the same for anyone else though. The problem is probably due to my running Explorer on an S-100 bus based z-80 system.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

You just have to model the rest of the computer which CM is running on and grab the random numbers however that system happens to do it.

Ah, the old Stetson trick. That might work. However, what about the integrity of the calculation ? You might inadvertantly choose numbers that are less than correct vis-a-vis the CM model thus tainting the outcome in a gamey fashion.