New Bug: CM does not properly model historical benefits of hi-res mods.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

That'll mean I get quadruple points – double for my increased accuracy, and double for knocking out Lawyer's fancy high-res tanks with my v1.0 low-res jobs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above quote is drawn from self-serving observations made by David Aitken during the aftermath of his mod discussions on the forum. David's quote refers to my earlier comment in another thread that lo-res units are apparently getting bonus points at the expense of hi-res mod users. The proof of this phenomenon is that David claims to actually win occasional PBEM games while using strictly lo-res units with cartoon color saturation.

I have since given this disturbing matter further thought. The lo-res advantage problem is even larger than I originally thought.

Logic dictates that a hi-res CM weapon or projectile (having many more pixels) will possess proportionately more density (and added hit power), thus yielding more lethality than the same weapon firing lo-res projectiles. This factor should be especially noticeable when playing an opponent using a Mac because it is not a serious gaming machine, and thus does not model bullets and other dangerous projectiles as intended in CM.

Therefore, David or someone sharing his lower echelon gaming graphics standards should rarely be able to kill my hi-res units with their thicker armor composed of higher density pixels. eg. Low-pixel bullets should not be able to penetrate high-pixel armor, except under the most extraordinary circumstances (weather and field conditions being otherwise equal).

Doesn't CM already model the percentage quality of armor plating on AFV's, depending on their year and nationality? Why then is not a similar strength advantage given to vehicles with higer density (stronger) armor plating composed of hi-res pixels? Isn't steel or titanium stronger than tin? Why doesn't CM properly model hi-res armor and ballistics? It makes no sense, and is clearly not historical.

I believe this factual theory could be proven scientifically in a lab. Thus, to the extent David can knock out hi-res units on a Mac, he is being unfairly assisted by the mysterious "Mac Factor" secretly coded into CM by BTS. This cheat was undoubtedly put in by Steve who admits that he plays CM straight out of the box (the HORROR!!). I believe he also admits to playing on a Mac. (the ADDED HORROR!!

Frankly, I believe there is a dark conspiracy out there against hi-res mod lovers. We pay more for hardware and take extra time to load up the best hi-res mods, yet we receive no commensurate quality advantage, and are in fact punished for doing so. This result flies in the face of actual battlefield experience, where extra planning and resources give extra winning benefits to commanders who invest the time and money.

This looks like another serious CM bug that has not previously been discovered. Thank goodness for my powerful observation and reasoning that hopefully will yield sufficient pressure upon BTS to fix this bug that fails to model reality as we all know it to be.

Maybe he is using Shift+C (or whatever the hotkey is) to scale your units up just prior to firing at them. This would, naturally, reduce the density of your high res armor texturing, allowing for accurate penetration results. I think that might be another bug. I scale up the units, but their silhouette doesn't change and I can still fit a squad of ogre sized soldiers in some foxholes.

Just wait until my new monitor and video card arrives on Monday. The resolution and clarity of my troops' view of the battlefield shall render all my shots ten times more accurate, and I shall be unstoppable. Why do you think I've suspended play while I'm limited to a paltry 1024x768@60Hz?

dumrox, scaling is an important tactic to learn. Switching from +4 to realistic just as an enemy unit fires on one of yours usually causes the shot to miss completely, while scaling back up before your own units fire quadruples the size of your shots, so your machineguns fire 30.48mm bullets and your tanks use 300mm AP.

Removing trees at the appropriate moment is a killer move which can decide the entire battle.

Funny, I had always thought the best tactic was to hit [shift]+V whenever I saw my opponent firing any type of anti-tank round. As you all are aware, the key combination of [shift]+V dematerializes the vehicles, causing an otherwise accurate antitank round to pass completely through the vehicles previous location with no harm whatsoever to the vehicle, its passengers or crew (although it does occasionally result in teh round detonating amidst infantry or support weapons to the rear of the vehicle, to the units' detriment).

After the shot passes through, simply hit [shift]+V again and the vehicles rematerialize in time to return fire at the enemy, destroying him.

The whole lot of you would make fine damned philosophers. The whole lot of you. Clarity and the obsession to find the Truth are key components to any good and decent human being. You should be proud of yourselves.

DrAlimantado aka. Baby Spice

btw. Time for your medication fellas

:D

I vote for this as the new cesspool:

7. No Peng in the title,

VII. original,

c. silly

XIV provocative

24. no thingy references,

11. no lackwits posting profanity for the sake of profanity.

I still hate Lawyer simply because he is himself, and not because he is a lawyer. I hate hi-res mods out of jealousy, I am sure: my low end 400 celeron and stinky 8 mego-v-ram card can't handle the truth of hi-res, so I despise mods. I despise mod makers, not as a group, but individually. Like PawBroon. He makes mods, and I hate him., and not because he is French, which really is a good enough reason to hate anyone in my book, (of course when we speak of the most loathesome of french types there are none more evil or worthless then the canadian french)

I am quite certian that were I ever put in the same room with the king of all modders Tiger that one of us would not come out alive , and don't get me started on that lackwit maximus nee "old blood and guts" and whatever the heck else he called himself before that. No, let's not get me started on his errant use of emoticons...he obfuscates and pontificates and MAKES MODS and liberally sprinkels his posts with emoticons, at times {were i the type of slackass poster boy who actually used the rotten stinking little bastard things}, that seem completely random and thoughtless. I hate Mods and I hate emoticons and I hate the people that use them and make them and I will kill EVERYONE!!!!

ack!

MrPeng,

Your hate of mods sounds like a personal problem to me. For one to hate the better-ment of a media sounds like to me that a DOS-nut is on the loose. So if you don't like mods that re-imagetize the battlefield into something more realistic looking, then I feel for ya when you try to play CM:BB with better graphics and VRAM requirements. Are you wanting to go reload CMBO graphics into CMBB because you can't stand to see better textures than those 64x32 files?

For I don't understand why people make such a big hoopla over wanting better graphics (eyecandy) in a game, and then when some are available, they curse cause their lowly ol' P2-233 with a 4MB video card won't run them.

Upgrade you Penger! I'm tired of all the crying.

IMO, and Peng's post pretty much prooves it, is that that hating the hi-res mods kind of insults the modder. So you don't wanna use Fernando's new Panther G-Late because you still use the PINK-ISH stock Panther G-Late, then fine. Don't go insulting the artist for trying to make a good game better.

Ah used a hee-res mod wun teem, at were nae a roosing success mon. Mah wee tanky things wid fire their hee-res tungsten tipped, holla-nosed AP/HE roond an' at wid drop short o' tha stankin' tarrget cos at were tae heavy wid stankin' pixels. Sae, mah vomit encrusted, droolin' an' cross-eyed opponent (cud Ah bin anywun o' ye), who had deliberately rastrrricted haimsailf tae lo-res mods ain a blatant cheatin' manner (granda spanner), was able tae fire roonds which made tha distance (bein' o' lighter weight). An' there ye have at - mah undoobted tactical brilliance brrrought undone bah a skulkin' wee lo-res mod user!!

Ah kin nae rememberrr bein' sae dasturrrbed since Ah discovered tha' bug where bazookas didnae kill pillboxes fraim behind.

SirMacObergruppenbloodystompinsicfeuhrerbastardabcd

You guys are amateurs! Pixie counting or whateverthehellyouretalkingabout is for faries!

Us pros know to turn off our monitors during the combat resolution portion so our units enter stealth mode. It works so well, mine units are usually never seen again! Even by me!

Wottabunchofignoramimusses...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

MrPeng,

Your hate of mods sounds like a personal problem to me. For one to hate the better-ment of a media sounds like to me that a DOS-nut is on the loose. So if you don't like mods that re-imagetize the battlefield into something more realistic looking, then I feel for ya when you try to play CM:BB with better graphics and VRAM requirements. Are you wanting to go reload CMBO graphics into CMBB because you can't stand to see better textures than those 64x32 files?

For I don't understand why people make such a big hoopla over wanting better graphics (eyecandy) in a game, and then when some are available, they curse cause their lowly ol' P2-233 with a 4MB video card won't run them.

Upgrade you Penger! I'm tired of all the crying.

IMO, and Peng's post pretty much prooves it, is that that hating the hi-res mods kind of insults the modder. So you don't wanna use Fernando's new Panther G-Late because you still use the PINK-ISH stock Panther G-Late, then fine. Don't go insulting the artist for trying to make a good game better.

Oh, and by the way, I HAVE NO CONCEPT OF IRONY

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct on all counts Mr PrepubescentBear Phan

I sit admonished.

I thought the reason hi-res mods had no effect is that none of them are actually mods for the projectiles, so the shells are always the same density.

OGSF's complaint about his tungsten-tipped hollow charge APDS whatevers missing 'cos they're too dense is just so much Scotch mist - in fact the reason they miss is that he sucks at CM, and no mods are ever[/] going to help until he can type in English.

And although the armour pixels are much denser in hi-res they are of course much thinner to maintain the overall weight, so the extra density doesn't help defeat the incoming at all.

SO, denser than most

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Stalin's Organ ]

I love you Peng.

I want to abort of your child and live a life of MODing and LoResolution.

Then maybe you could sent that turn back and stop hating me long enough to proceed some thoughts and can them in a mail...

If you don't do that I'll have to boot Photoshop again and do another Austin Powers MOD.

What say you?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

MrPeng,

Your hate of mods sounds like a personal problem to me...Don't go insulting the artist for trying to make a good game better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Satire' is just another word you won't bother looking up the meaning of in a dictionary, isn't it, lad?

Well, it makes sense to me :

low-res vehicles have lower pixel density, thus the chance of hitting a pixel is greatly reduced.

On the other-hand, the higher density of finely modded vehicles means that projectiles are much less likely to pass between two pixels without doing damage.

OK answer this then!

If I have a miniatures set of AFVs, because they a real (plastic) this means they have almost an infinite pixel density (down to atom level) and thus infinite density

If you're so smart, how come when I step on them they break! huh! HUH!!!!

Answer that!

Mace

Would have replied earlier but busy putting 100 extra coats of paint on all my vehicles :D

Surley this is going to make them INVINCIBLE

I trust you hypothetically stood on your plastic models. Otherwise you've probably got a rather sore foot. Of course if it was a Sherman it deserved it ;)