First Sneak Peak of CM2 Pics. Now on CMHQ

In what is the first of many exclusives that CMHQ will have in the future of CM2 coverage, BFC today gave us permission to post four new CM2 preview pictures. These same pictures were recently featured in the July Computer Gaming World magazine in their CM2 Preview.

Please remember these pictures are *works in progress* and do not neccesarily represent the finished product.

Check um out!

Madmatt

It's a 76.2mm howitzer - and if the Sdkfz 7 bug isn't fixed it could be a terror!! :D

Not sure of the correct designation tho'.

You're probably thinking of the quad-maxim AA mounts on hte back of trucks that are fairly famous - you'd be able to tell the difference pretty quickly if they were side by side.

OK, the revised list of the German stuff is as follows and for the following reasons.

1. <LI>Elefant (I'm not an expert on the Ferdinand and Elephant, so just take what others have said.)
    <LI>PzIV-Ausf D (by the part of the upper hull that juts out around the bow MG and the gun mantlet area)
    <LI>StuGIII-Ausf A or B (by the way the upper hull is made around the main gun. - The A & B were exactly the same except for their engine.)
    <LI>PzIII-J (for the muzzle-brakeless gun and for some of what others have said.)

All determined by the ol' trusty "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII"

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Stalin's Organ:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's a 76.2mm howitzer - and if the Sdkfz 7 bug isn't fixed it could be a terror!! smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean the fact that soft vehicles shot at by HE can't be directly hit... don't worry smile.gif My sources tell me that CM2 Alpha has contained code to address this problem for weeks now. And trust me, this is a reliable source ;)

The last German tank is a Pz III of some sort. BUT, I think this was one that KwazyDog whipped up really quickly (CGW deadline was a challenge to meet!) and therefore it isn't correct. I think it is a PzIII gun/mantlet mounted on a PzIV turret and shrunken down late PzIV hull smile.gif

Steve

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

The last German tank is a Pz III of some sort. BUT, I think this was one that KwazyDog whipped up really quickly (CGW deadline was a challenge to meet!) and therefore it isn't correct. I think it is a PzIII gun/mantlet mounted on a PzIV turret and shrunken down late PzIV hull smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

I know, it's confusing, I was looking at the mantlet and everything there as well. At first glance I could have sworn it was a PZIV-F2 due mainly to the turret. Gun is missing the muzzle brake that would be present on a PzIV-F2 gun. No wait, I looked again, it is definately a PzIII-J, by everything I see in the 3D mesh.

The thing is that both models were being built at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

<LI>PzIV-Ausf A (by the part of the upper hull that juts out around the bow MG - Ausf B's and above have a straight flat hull there)

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for the sake of a bump, wasn't that jutting out portion reintroduced on the D or E variants?

And my 2 öre’s worth smile.gif

The Elefant is there.

Like panzerwerfer42 said, the Pz IV did not get a straight driver face plate until model “F” [wrong - B and C had it too]. The external gun shield says “D” or “E”.

The StuG could be either an A or a B.

As for the Pz. III, well…

The turret looks Pz III, the gun/mantle looks Pz III and so does the hull.

It looks a lot like a real Pz III, a model “J”.

One tell tale difference is the fact that the roof covering the driver and radio operator angled slightly on the Pz IV. This is not the case on the Pz III, nor on the 3D model. Furthermore the shape of the engine deck looks all Pz III too.

It certainly looks like the polygon count has gone up and Kwazy is doing a great job smile.gif

M.

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Mattias ]

Stalin,

Actually it was the lack of obvious spaced armour that made me think “J” instead of later models.

It is hard to tell but it looks to me like the mass immediately behind the outer shield is the normal old inner mantlet. Then again, we will know soon enough, these are not even the final models as I understood it smile.gif

Ah, and the birch trees makes it look even better...

M.

I think it is a Pz-IIIJ, if memory serves me correctly. Actually Steve, I think that Mk III isnt the one I buggered up, I think that one is about right smile.gif

Mattias, thanks for the blueprints of the Elefant...I havnt had time to look at them yet but will do so in the morning smile.gif!

Dan

Hi,

Thanks for the shots.

The entire thing looks great. The two touches I like most are the Soviet truck and the type of zimmerit on the StugIII. All real attention to detail.

Someone on another thread said that he could sense CM2 excitement beginning to take off. I agree. With CMBO to play and with the CM2, say, one year away there was little point in thinking about it. However, now the clock is under six months to go I can feel my inherent “CM related personality disorder” coming on again. This may be hard to believe but am a mature, relaxed, forty something year old; on a good day anyway. But when it comes to a new version of CM I find I retard to my early teens and it can get close to sleepless nights stuff. I have to confess I am more excited about CM2 than I would be about being given one of the new Jag cars that has just been launched. Thank God CM2 will not cost the same as the new Jag. I would have to sell the house.

Thanks for all the work, hope you all get rich, my guess is you will; people that are “the number one” even in a niche markets normally do,

All the best,

Kip.

Great work BTS smile.gif...just one thing ...i know that these are WIP shots...but can you make sure that when the Elefant is finished that the cupola is moved back a bit from the front...it looks too far forward.

From the plans and photos i got..the cupola should be between the first and second set of bolts( moving from front to back ) that run along the upper superstrutcture.

And dont forget the rain channel smile.gif on the front armour smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

I love the way the bottom of the Stug's skirt is covered with mud. That's good detail right there and I hope to see lots of other muddy vehicles in the future. Wish you'd guys show us some of the Soviet AFV's! Enough with the German stuff - we've seen most of it.

Too bad it still seems the individual houses have the "a box in an open field" effect. Guess Im still holding out for the whole "debree sorrounding house" thing. Well, you did say it was Alpha *crosses fingers* :D