First Sneak Peak of CM2 Pics. Now on CMHQ

Måkjäger..

Correct about the positioning of the commanders cupola, it could be pulled back a bit.

Somehow though I feel reluctant to point things out now that the level of detail has reach such an excellent level smile.gif

I mean.. looking at the Elefant upgrade I spotted these externally visual changes:

Bow MG

Commanders cupola

Reversed ”strap on” gun shield

New track

Reinforced attachment of track covers

Tools moved to superstructure rear

Improved (armoured) engine covers

Enlarged sun cover for the drivers optics

Driving lights removed

Sometimes I wonder how many CM players that actually would spot a misplaced cupola, and out of those how many that would appreciate knowing that the cupola is really in the correct place, even though they didn’t know it was misplaced in the first place?

To what extent is the perceived high level of historical detail important to CM’s over all success?

I mean, CM’s game engine, interface and 3D world would make it a potentially good game without any historical connection at all. Take in the shape of a generic SciFi wargame for example.

Is there a point where a “law of demising returns” would kick in? A level of detail that would be “too much” to be bothered with?

I would say yes, but also that that point has yet to be reach…

For me CM (and more importantly BTS) is a dream come true. A product that offers exceptional levels of detail coupled with exceptional accessibility. This was also something that definitely impressed the reviewers and most probably a wide spectrum of players. A company being able to realise their vision with a little more freedom from share holders demands for profit margins.

I don’t know how many buyers a correctly placed commanders cupola on a Sd.Kfz. 184 buys but I am certain that BTS’s ambition to place it there is something that is fundamental to CM’s success.

Now, bedtime smile.gif

M.

One little thing that has always bothered me and I would like to see fixed in CM2 is the gun on the Tiger I. Looking at the model in CM and comparing it to numerous photos, I can't escape the impression that the gun is a bit too short. It looks stubby compared to the real thing. It's a little thing, but it would be easy to fix.

Mattias....i hope i did not come across as too picky ..and if i did then i offer a 1000 sorrows smile.gif

Yes BTS have designed a fantastic game ..and yes they answered my prayers when i discovered that it was to go on sale.

With the level of detail that they put into CBMO , they have raised my expectactions( mb too much).

Its just that i suffer from the curse of "Grog" .

I have an inkling of an understanding what BTS is doing and appreciate all the hard work that BTS is putting into B2B(?).

I am overjoyed at the prospect that the Sd.kfz .184 will be lumbering across the battlefield, and the bare model show how much effort they are putting into the 3d models.

My pointing out the cupola was just a feeble attempt to hold a candle underneath BTSs toes ;) just to let em know that the visual Groggers are around.

Regards

Måkjager

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxm2:

Wouldn't the vehicles look more realistic if they weren't all tan or green?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not really sure if you're kidding, and if you are, do diregard my stoopid self smile.gif

Those tan and green vehicles you see in the 2 screenshots are just models. They do not have "skins" attached to them yet. The skins are textured, colored, detailed, etc. What you see in those 2 screens are just the untextured blocks of polygons that are yet bare of detail. Later on, BTS will create such skins and apply them to the vehicles, producing a realistic result.

Mattias , Hey...understand ye 100% smile.gif

I caught the “Curse of Grog” while making 1/35th German AFV models while in my local model club. The “Grog” part surfaced because Hiliary L Doyle is also a member( he who draws all those scale plans that you see in the Jentz and other books).

So WOE BETIDE if you showed up with a german vehicle that was “incorrect” smile.gif as the slagging that you would get from the other members would cause you to seek cover quick smile.gif

Since i have tried starting to make a mods , that standard from my model making days has just jumped over.

Regards

Måkjager

Måkjäger,

Doyle is a member eh? I was wondering if he was in fact a woman smile.gif

Seriously though, he’s drawings are exceptional!

In the long row of Spielberger books [Militärfahrzeuge series] standing next to me, his work is very effective in showing of the detail changes in the different ausf. of the German armoured vehicles. Pretty much every model of each tank is presented in detailed drawings, mostly in five aspects, sometimes even six. Then there are the beautiful, what you call em, cut-in-half-and-look-inside drawings. Mmm… To die for.

So, yes, I can imagine the level of interest and skill displayed there smile.gif

I’m not a modeller myself, more of an all aspect grog, but the vehicles hold some kind of special magic.

Cheers!

M.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

Just for the sake of a bump, wasn't that jutting out portion reintroduced on the D or E variants?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, whoops, must have had a page stuck together as I was looking them up as I was flipping back and forth from the PzIV-F2 and PzIII-J.

Yeah the bulged drivers slit was reintroduced on the D model, but that's it. B, C, and E models all had a flat facia.

But as for the PzIV model, after looking at it again, it is definately a PzIVD by it's gun shielding and stuff.

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

As for the StuG, again after looking at it again. It could be either a StuGIII-A or B. As most likely this very 3D model will be used for both. As the only difference between the two was the drivetrain.

What threw me the first time, was that the picture of the B model that I looked at was from the port side instead of the starboard side as there are differences between sides.

Maximus,

Absolutely correct about flat drivers plates being installed before model “F”. However, model “E” did not have the flat plate. That means “A”, “D” and “E” were, eh, bent whereas the rest were straight.

Looking in Chamberlains Encyclopedia it is hard to tell but the drawings I have are very clear.

M smile.gif

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Mattias ]