I've won so few games I'm getting discouraged

Stay away from me then ;)

Seriously though, you might tell your opponents that you're a rookie and ask them for a 10 or 25 % increase in your points. And keep playing lots of different people, everyone has their own tactical style and you can surely learn lots of things from many different styles.

It might be a good idea to just wrassle with the AI for a bit. Try playing the same scenario over and over, focusing on getting a little better each time. (At first you might try defense against the AI--it's not too good at attack and you can just worry about reacting to what the AI does, rather than coordinating a coherent attack of your own.)

Try to recognize your mistakes and learn from them. Focus on acquiring one specific skill with each time you replay a scenario. Then build from that skill to the next one and then the next. Once you've mastered ONE scenario, move on to another that requires a different set of skills. The Valley of Trouble demo can teach you a LOT from both sides but there are also smaller ones that you can fool with. For example, you might try replaying the Tutorial till you win a strong victory.

Also learn what units can and can't do. And read the "Tips and Techniques" board, going way back to the early days. There's lots of good specific info in that forum.

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

good idea on practicing skills one by one.

start with

1) employing armor,buy a bunch of tanks, give a bunch to the ai, practice working out the best ways to take the other tanks out, moving to hull down, see if flanking works etc.

2) dropping arty. practice using arty effectively, predicting where units will be, working out how effective your arty has probably been (play fow off?) ..

3) etc

PNZ may be onto something there... I still suck with anything with wheels or treads... but infantry and arty I can do pretty good with. That's exactly the opposite of what I hoped when I bought the game ('cause, hey: armor's cool).

Find something you're slightly not sucking at and concentrate on that first.

Perhaps before I stop playing at the end of this year I'll manage to get a tank all the way across the map once!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iskander:

Perhaps before I stop playing at the end of this year I'll manage to get a tank all the way across the map once!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then stop making maps with forest all the way across the middle!

Speedbump

Thanks for the sympathy and empathy, gentlemen. The sad thing is that I've played this game since August of last year. So, I'm not a rookie. Therefore, I must be a mental midget. I do have the sloping forehead and one eyebrow. My knuckles do not scrape the ground. So, I wonder if it's a lack of education or intellect gone awry.

I love it so. I truly don't care if I win or lose vs the AI because it doesn't brag or taunt me.

I'm no great authority, but have you tried saving all the PBEM files and asking for your opponents password once the game is over? This way you can review the whole battle and look at the 'big picture' of how things unfolded. Look for where, when, and how the enemy got the better of you, and where, when, and how you made your own mistakes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

Thanks for the sympathy and empathy, gentlemen. The sad thing is that I've played this game since August of last year. So, I'm not a rookie. Therefore, I must be a mental midget. I do have the sloping forehead and one eyebrow. My knuckles do not scrape the ground. So, I wonder if it's a lack of education or intellect gone awry.

I love it so. I truly don't care if I win or lose vs the AI because it doesn't brag or taunt me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whereabouts do you live, Hiram?

It could be that if one of the aces in your area could sit down with you f2f and you could play a game and they could provide critique and helpful advice.

Some people just learn better that way. I can't apply abstractions, personally. I need concrete examples.

In this case, FOW may even be working against you since you can't always see what got you or why.

just my two cents. hang in there, its always darkest before the dawn.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

I'm no great authority, but have you tried saving all the PBEM files and asking for your opponents password once the game is over? This way you can review the whole battle and look at the 'big picture' of how things unfolded. Look for where, when, and how the enemy got the better of you, and where, when, and how you made your own mistakes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better yet, Hiram ol' chap, ask for his password before the game's over.

Something that might help, and that I haven't really seen in people's AARs is to play alongside someone and watch what they put in for move orders (with the show paths/targets turned on). Way back when I got the beta demo and got my tanks blown up in the first couple minutes I turned FOW off for half a game and saw the AIs movement paths. It helped quite a bit. Try it with another player, and get explanations as to why they do what they do. You could probably do it with a PBEM even, if the other player saved the move and sent the file to you before hitting go.

I'm not great, but I do ok, and would be willing to share orders files. We could also play it as a coop game, but allow paths to be turned on and lots of communication. You could also go and play alongside Elvis against Peng for a better education.

I suppose it could even be done in a game against the AI.