Do 88mm FlaKs shoot at aircraft?

Has anyone ever actually seen an 88mm FlaK fire at a Jabo? I don't really see what the advantages are to buying them instead of 88mm PaK guns.

OT, what does "sic" mean when placed after a word?

AFAIK, 88mm guns do not fire at aircraft in CM. I am not familiar enough with the different versions of the gun to tell you the advantages of each; however, it is my understanding that the AT version of the gun has a lower silhouette than the flak version, making it easier to hide. The flak version has a mount that makes it easier to turn so that it can acquire targets more quickly.

Sic is used when quoting something that has an error in it. Sic denotes that the original source contained the error and that the person using the quote is repeating the error rather than creating it to maintain the integrity of the quote.

[ 05-12-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bog:

Has anyone ever actually seen an 88mm FlaK fire at a Jabo? I don't really see what the advantages are to buying them instead of 88mm PaK guns.

OT, what does "sic" mean when placed after a word?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(1) I dunno - design a scenario on a perfectly flat map with no trees or other obstacles. Place 12 88's on the map. Buy two JABOS for the allies. If one of hte Jabos gets shot at, you'll have your answer. I rather doubt they do because they were designed to fire at high altitude bombers, not nimble low altitude fighters.

(2) [sic] means Spelling InCorrect. Typographical mark used when you quote someone else, and they misspelled a word, and you don't want people to think you are the idiot who misspelled the word.

MrSpkr

"Sic" is Latin for "thus", meaning that whatever was quoted immediately prior to it was exactly how it appeared in the original.

It implies that the author does not agree with the quote. It usually, but not always, refers to spelling mistakes.

"The student argued that, since compass needles point East [sic], they must be headed West."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bog:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the understanding that the 88mm AA was actually for use against medium and high altitude targets, and it's use as an AT piece was an almost accidental discovery during the invasion of the Low Countries. Given that, I would assume they are of no advantage to purchase...

Surely someone knows better than me...

:confused:

Guest PondScum

Even if the gun crew could swing the 88 around fast enough to track a Jabo racing by at 100 feet (instead of a B17 ambling along at 20,000 feet), I'm not sure they could set their shell fuses to detonate that soon after leaving the barrel smile.gif And you'd be a damn unlucky P-47 pilot to take a direct hit from an 88mm...

88's and other large calibre AA weapons (US 90mm in the game)

were not used to shoot at low flying aircrafts.

Actually, I believe they didn't target any aircrafts at all.

Instead they were used to "area fire" the sky, to hurt aircrafts

that would happen to fly into the fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

88's and other large calibre AA weapons (US 90mm in the game)

were not used to shoot at low flying aircrafts.

Actually, I believe they didn't target any aircrafts at all.

Instead they were used to "area fire" the sky, to hurt aircrafts

that would happen to fly into the fire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

German Flak officers consistently stated in post-war interviews that they did not "spot fire" in hopes of aircraft flying into the fire, but rather they did, in fact, aim at specific airplanes. It is actually much harder to shoot at a spot that far away in 3 dimensions than it is to use a specific aiming point, at least in terms of firing near your target, not necessarily hitting it.

Anywho away from AA capabilities or lack there of for this weapon.

The 88 flak gun is actually pretty decent against most medium tanks on the allied side.

It has a lower velocity which means it penetrates less armor than the Pak gun but if you are playing in a small QB where it is highly unlikely that the opposing player has anything like a Churchill, Sherman Jumbo, or Pershings the gun actually works like a charm since it can target really fast and it is only 85 points vs the 119 for the equivalent Pak gun. I have used this gun on a few occasions with mixed results. The thing can hide like a champ and if you can lure the armor target to within about 200 meters the 88 flak gun will penetrate alot of armor. It is also pretty decent for pounding soft targets.

So you have to think "do I need the extra velocity of the 88 AT gun? or can the 88 flak just work fine"

Gen

There was a passage in MacDonald's Company Commander (fun read!) where he and his men were tasked with assaulting a bunch of dug in 88 flak guns. They were tearing up infantry pretty good with shells that, from the description (and I could be wrong) were fused to explode before they hit, spraying large areas with shrapnel, much like American VT shells. His description made them sound like murder on infantry. Is this modeled in CM?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tailz:

I had the understanding that...it's use as an AT piece was an almost accidental discovery during the invasion of the Low Countries.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, actually that was figured out during the course of the Spanish Civil War. As a consequence, AT rounds were put into production for it and were on hand in time for the war with Poland.

Michael

I actually prefer the 88 flak to the Pak...it's good against most tanks, and comes with a lot of HE, good for stomping the footsloggers. Very versatile weapon, some historians say it was the best gun of the war.